1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is 50 Concurrent Connections ? Godaddy

Discussion in 'Outages' started by Hema Latha, Mar 30, 2010.

Hi,

I have a blog with huge traffic hosted with Godaddy.

But, my site always experiences this error:

503 Service Temporarily Unavailable
    The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems.
    Please try again later.
    Apache/1.3.33 Server at indiangirlsclub.com Port 80

So, my blog is always not available. Even i'm unable to update my blog.

I contaced Godaddy.com, and their Support is good. I stated my problem and got a reply as below:

This is most likely caused by your site having met its maximum concurrent connection limit. Shared hosting accounts are subject to the following limits:
    Linux Economy - 50 Concurrent Connections

What does it mean ???

Is it something like i can't have more than 50 visitors at a time ??????????????????
    Even though when i see only 35 or 40 visitors online, i get this downtime error.

Pl explain me what is 50 concurrent connections.

Thank You.

Hema Latha, Mar 30, 2010 IP
  2. vagrant

vagrant Peon

Best Answers:
    They probably mean the number of concurrent connections to your mysql database. If your blog/forum runs a lot of querys per post, has a lot of plug-ins etc, it can soon add up. they have their own help topic on the subject as well @ http://help.godaddy.com/topic/67/article/5089

vagrant, Mar 30, 2010 IP
  3. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    The short answer her is you are exceeding the limits of the account you have purchased. Time to upgrade ;)

Mia, Mar 30, 2010 IP
  4. Hema Latha

Hema Latha Peon

Best Answers:
    @ vagrant .. It was exactly the content at http: //help.godaddy. com/topic/67/article/5089 emailed to me as a reply. I'm not a tech savvy to understand about mysql. Yes, there are few plugins i use and i was contacted by godaddy to remove Yarp plugin which is not allowed in shared hosting. I removed it.

@ Mia .. Though this blog has good traffic, It's not making me any good money :-( i'm unable to upgrade it.

I contacted Hostgator .. and they assured me that I can have even 500 visitors at a time without any problem.
    Here is the chat conversation i had with them:

"We do not have a limit for physical connections. There is a limit for MySQL connections at 25 but an average message board /wordpress site that has 500 users will rarely hit that as mysql connections time out. And there wouldnt be a 503 error you would get a MySQL error."

Could you please explain in an easy language (I'm really a dummy) so that i could understand.
    Sorry for the trouble ...

Question 1: Is my problem with >50 visitors ?
    Question 2: Even if i change my hosting to Hostgator, will i face this same 503 problem (some mysql .. lots of queries) ?

Pl help. This is really very much frustrating. I have been with FREE blog platforms like Blogger and have more than 70 - 80 visitors at a time without any problem !

Hema Latha, Mar 30, 2010 IP
  5. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes....or no. The concurrent connection limit, according to that document, applies to both web site visitors and database connections so it could be either of these, but with the error message you are receiving I'd guess it was 50 concurrent site visitors that caused the issue.

It depends on their policy and you will need to read the fine-print to be sure. If your problem was caused by concurrent DB connections then you will have that problem.

There's always going to be a catch somewhere, but essential information like that which can seriously impact on the ability of a web site to function, shouldn't be hidden in the small print.

As an aside, I'm a little stunned at the number of concurrent connections allowed. I see sites on SQL 2008 with hundreds of concurrent visitors and only between 4-7 concurrent connections to the database on purely database driven web sites. Maybe it's because asp and asp.net have excellent connection pooling or their developers make sure DB connections are properly closed so the connection goes back into the pool. Maybe I don't spend enough time looking at MySQL applications.

RonBrown, Mar 30, 2010 IP
  6. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Id gather the problem is with number of queries.

Mia, Mar 30, 2010 IP
  7. mellow-h

mellow-h Peon

Best Answers:
    It shouldn't be number of queries, otherwise, it would show a database error instead of an apache error. It seems, you can not have more than 50 concurrent visitor in your site with godaddy, otherwise, 503 error will return for the additional visitors only. But the 50 visitors will be in service until their connection times out in godaddy http server.

mellow-h, Apr 5, 2010 IP