1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What impact will the Indian Gay community suffer now?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by sarahk, Jan 15, 2014.

I've just seen a petition at http://www.avaaz.org/en/indias_gay_outrage_loc/ which claims

If India has 17.4% of the world's population [source] then it follows that it has 17.4% of the world's gays too - that would be 123,899,000 people.

How much influence do those two judges really have over 123 million people? Can they really force them into hiding and denial?
    Given that those people all have friends and family there must be shockwaves rippling through every household in the country.

sarahk, Jan 15, 2014 IP
  2. earlpearl

earlpearl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Were these two judges to effectively pass this ruling it would be a miserable condition for what would be millions...and possibly hundreds of millions of people considering India's size and population, as you point out Sarah. That would be horrendous. That many people oppressed. The world is changing in many ways. This ruling by two judges would make it change for the worse for a population within India that would be far larger than the populations of most nations. Truly sad and oppressive for what would be a potentially huge population.

Your story and reference to the families and friends of whatever number of people there are in India potentially affected by this ruling reminded me of this story from CNN from months ago wherein an inquiring reporter tried to find gay people in a US county where census reports no gays.

he found them. They live in a state with an anti gay posture. They live among family and friends and it appears their family and friends support them all within a larger environment of overt hostility.

Hopefully the rulings by the Indian judges don't take affect. If they do hopefully those affected by the rulings and their family and friends work effectively to overturn rulings that are focused on oppressing people for age old prejudices.

earlpearl, Jan 15, 2014 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  3. Vick.Kumar

Vick.Kumar Active Member

Best Answers:
    This made my day.

Vick.Kumar, Jan 15, 2014 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Because you support the stand the judges have taken?

sarahk, Jan 15, 2014 IP
  5. Vick.Kumar

Vick.Kumar Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes they are making the right choice.

Vick.Kumar, Jan 15, 2014 IP
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Seriously - you're not worried about them making 123 million people into criminals over something that they have no choice about?

sarahk, Jan 16, 2014 IP
  7. Vick.Kumar

Vick.Kumar Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not really worried, because no matter how hard you fight or argue. Even if it's for the good. (Not being racists or offensive, If I am, I do apologize) the 'Indian' government have a tenancy of corruption; there is no political worker I've heard of so far who hasn't had the slightest involvement in any corruption or falling into greed. Maybe if they have an election people can vote for someone who would legalize gay marriage, and sex. But it honestly doesn't bother me, if your country doesn't support or listen to what you suggest to improve it to keep the community happy; move. Yeah 1 vs Government won't work; a group might have a 'effect' or/and get 'noticed' but until they do some 'action'; nothings going to happen.

*This is just a possible scenario, not a suggestion or/and recommendation*.
    But if you want the government of India to listen. A riot or anti group won't go well because there are more straight couples than gays. But if you want the government and supreme courts to get the message that you're fucking serious that this is bullshit. You don't fight with them on their grounds ie lawsuits, riots, paper, documents etc. You fight them on the web; what I mean by that is; if a hacker/activist hit any of the government official websites with a deface message or/and put a few of the government funded banks or services they rely on heavily, and put it out for a few days or weeks. It will open their eyes, if you follow all the laws they release, but don't want to negotiate terms for laws that effect your well being or life, then why bother listening to any of their laws?

Vick.Kumar, Jan 16, 2014 IP
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'm not in India either, just really glad I'm not or a significant number of my friends and family would be forced to live a lie.
    It seems ridiculous to decide 10% of your population are criminals from the moment they hit puberty and become sexually aware. I would have thought it more important to weed out those whose actions hurt others and are a conscious decision to do "wrong".

sarahk, Jan 16, 2014 IP
  9. Vick.Kumar

Vick.Kumar Active Member

Best Answers:
    I understand where you're coming, and I do disagree about it being illegal for gays. But each country, region, continent has their own laws to follow, and India being India, "Religion", and "Tradition" is a big thing in India, as I 'believe' that almost the whole of India follow, and worship their many gods. But with traditions of 'arranged marriages based on star signs, and dates', and beliefs like that effect heavily on their decisions like this. So for the example of a male marrying a male or female marrying a female or having sex rather than marriage is heavily looked down on same as Christians with no sex before marriage. The priests would assume, and heavily agree towards bad events, superstition, and all that rubbish of happening. The law has flaws, I'm sure there might be a loop hole, and if not; when most marriages occur couples aren't given a marriage certificate on the spot. So I don't see anything wrong with keeping a 'secret life', and just keeping it between a couple.

10. TIEro

TIEro Active Member

Best Answers:
    No references, no information, no details, no names, no quotes, no data... just a vague accusation. Never sign a petition where you have absolutely no idea why you're doing it.

TIEro, Jan 16, 2014 IP
  11. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Rebecca, Jan 16, 2014 IP
  12. Vick.Kumar

Vick.Kumar Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would say come to Australia, and enjoy yourself but I'm sick of the IT industry being outsourced to Indians, and Asians; so stay in your own country. We don't need you two ruining our employment rates.

13. tdn878

tdn878 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wait, what?? 10% of the world's population are gay? That seems like an awfully high percentage, are you sure these figures are correct? I remember hearing a few years ago now that the percentage was closer to 1%. Either way, I honestly don't know how any of these stats can reliably claim to be correct, more like a very, very rough estimate...

tdn878, Feb 23, 2014 IP
  14. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Its a % I've always held to be true, but I could be wrong. Lets go for 1% - that's 12 million people destined for Indian prisons - and do they go to prison once for their "crime" or do they get sent back time and again because prison doesn't "reform" them - or will hiding themselves be enough?

sarahk, Feb 23, 2014 IP
  15. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    I have no issues with any gay person, I just wish people would just respect people.

sundaybrew, Feb 23, 2014 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  16. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    But you live in America don't you?
    Although America has just taken a giant step backwards by allowing one of their states to openly discriminate.

sarahk, Feb 23, 2014 IP
  17. tdn878

tdn878 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, you're right. Whatever the number, the fact that people are being sent to prison for something completely outside their control is just plain wrong. I find it deeply disturbing that only 2 people are allowed to make such an important decision, although you would think they would be under enormous pressure from the anti-gay lobby and other conservatives.

tdn878, Feb 23, 2014 IP
  18. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I suspect there is a climate of fear that prevents protest.

sarahk, Feb 23, 2014 IP