1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What happens if you buy an expired domian with pagerank?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by heapseo, Nov 26, 2005.

if it genuinly does have the pagerank it says, and you point it to a PR0 domain is the pagerank transferred automatically?

Second question, if you acquire the name through somehting like snapnames and it automatically getsregistered with your details with some random company can you still point it to an existing domain with a different host (I have never dome it before soi don't really know what im doing)

thanks
    SEMrush

heapseo, Nov 26, 2005 IP
    SEMrush
  2. Tuning

Tuning Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You will most probably loose money. AFAIK, Google will take your PR away if they detect a whois change. ( This happened to me atleast )

So in next update there won't be PR for this expired -> bought domain.

Tuning, Nov 26, 2005 IP
  3. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think that would happen, PR is based on backlinks... so unless people stop linking the the PR would remain. But, you may hit the sandbox and loose search engine results, maybe.

mdvaldosta, Nov 26, 2005 IP
  4. INV

INV Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends. Most of expired domain are deleted from google as it tracks expired domains. However, some expired domains remain their pagerank but I believe its because the registrar regged it and sold it or so.

INV, Nov 26, 2005 IP
  5. heapseo

heapseo Peon

Best Answers:
    but would the pagerank remain until the next update or would it be automaticlly reset oncethe whois data changes,even if it had links?

heapseo, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  6. sachin410

sachin410 Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    My opinion -

I dont think PR has anything to do with the whois info.

If the owner of a site changes doesnt mean Google will reset the PR to 0.

As long as the back links remain, the PR wont change.

If many back links are to inner pages , and the site is changed , they will break and thus the PR will reduce. If the domain has most of the back links to the home page, then change in ownership of the domain should not have affect on the PR.

sachin410, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  7. honey

honey Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If however, the domain expires, and then deleted by the registery, at that point if the domain is re-registered, it takes more time to get indexed and get PR. I registered a domain, not knowing it was previously owned by somebody more then 2 years before me, and it's been 3 months and the site has not been indexed or got PR. Last month, just the homepage was indexed by G.

honey, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  8. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Tiptop, I've never done anything like this, but I would imaging that PR has nothing to do with whois. If you have the same links pointing to it then it shouldn't be a problem.

It would be like someone buying your website, and moving it to another hosting company. I've not heard of PR been lost in these examples.

DarrenC, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  9. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    The SEs tend to delist pages that don't exist and crawl them with less frequency. Your links are still out there somewhere though, so they will be counted again once your site goes back up.

Being able to maintain a seamless pagerank is probably a bit tricky and surely requires some luck.

aeiouy, Nov 30, 2005 IP