1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What Happened To The 'Change UI' Setting?

Discussion in 'Twitter' started by mark.charlesworth, Nov 11, 2015.

Hi all,

I use Twitter on an Android tablet with a decent sized screen, and used to have it set so it automatically took me to the desktop version of the site. You could go to Settings and there was an option to Change ui. Or, more simply, you could enter this link (this thread won't actually let me enter the link, but it was the twitter mobile address followed by /settings/change_ui) and it would override the mobile version automatically.

But about a month ago, it defaulted back to the mobile version, that link didn't work anymore, and the option to change on Settings was gone. Even if you click 'request desktop site' on the browser's own settings, Twitter almost always overrides it and takes you to the mobile version.

I expected to see cries of outrage about this on the web and on Twitter, but there aren't really any Twitter forums, I couldn't see any charter about it on Twitter itself, and sending a message to @twitter got no response. So maybe it's just me, but I really don't like the mobile version of Twitter. A lot of features don't work the same, links are often greyed out, the whole interface seems clunky and when I first visit the page it always shows me a cached version of the page until it refreshes, featuring tweets from people I don't even follow anymore.

Has anyone else previously relied on using the desktop version and been similarly outraged (and I appreciate that outraged is a pretty strong word for a collection of pixels arranged into colours and words)?

And has anyone found any other ways to override the mobile version and set desktop as default again?

Thanks

mark.charlesworth, Nov 11, 2015 IP