What gives with placing decently in Yahoo SERPs

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by LaCabra, Feb 27, 2006.

I am a little perplexed at the fact that I'm not hitting the TOP 100 in yahoo SERPs for my keyword. Here's what the other 2 SEs see me like:

1) MSN - SERPs #1 for 68,604,210
    2) Google - SERPs #18 for 44,400,000

Yahoo has 63,900 pages indexed for my site.

Is there something magical about Yahoo or am I being penalized for some reason?

:eek:
    thanks
    Frank

LaCabra, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  2. Brad Callen

Brad Callen Peon

Best Answers:
    Cant tell much without looking at the url and doing some looking into it. But surely you should be ranking somewhere with those sort of results in MSN and Google.

How old is the site?

Obviously a very competitive keyword. Do you have RSS feeds on your site? these can help with yahoo.

I am noticing yahoo loving directory type sites too right now.

Brad

Brad Callen, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  3. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    Hey Brad ... firstly love your seo-elite, when I have time going to send some enhancement requests! The site is 4 or 5 years old. It is a massive site with over 100K + pages. It is primarily a directory with over 93,000 company listing in it. It is a competitve keyword. No rss feed at all.

If you want to take a look:

www.leatherpages.com ... kw: leather

Let me know what you think, I would appreciate any help or suggestions!
    Frank

LaCabra, Feb 28, 2006 IP
  4. kneukm03

kneukm03 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's possible that it's been manually removed. Did it ever get to the top in leather in yahoo, or it's just never been there? If it's been there and now isn't, then some human reviewer might have decided it was spam. Yahoo will do that sometimes, even to otherwise legitimate sites.

kneukm03, Feb 28, 2006 IP
  5. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    it was never up there in the serps, at least i can not recall

LaCabra, Feb 28, 2006 IP
  6. Alan Murray

Alan Murray Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would add more text to the front page with maybe a H2 or H3 tag with keyword in it. You should have some text telling the user what your site is about anyway.

Have you got links with just anchor text "leather"? Thats what I would try if I were you.

Alan Murray, Mar 1, 2006 IP
  7. rehash

rehash Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    that's good, for me yahoo never indexed more than 2,000 pages

rehash, Mar 1, 2006 IP
  8. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    if you want to give me red rep for asking a question, do so but at least have the BALLS to sign it and provide constructive critisism ...

LaCabra, Mar 1, 2006 IP
    Alan Murray likes this.
  9. rubenmajor

rubenmajor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just out of curiosity, how do you generate a site with 100K pages and have most of them indexed? I know there is a lot of automation, but for God's sake, could you even have a minute bit of non-duplicate content with so many pages on a site?

rubenmajor, Mar 1, 2006 IP
  10. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I believe the site needs more original text. And on the design issue, the home page looks way too busy.

Rod, Mar 1, 2006 IP
  11. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    Its not to hard to achieve, each unique company/business has their own profile pages ... 93000 companies are listed in the business directory. I also have classifieds, news realeases, tradefairs, product annoucements etc where each of the listing have their own page so things do add up.

The fact that most of the pages are indexed means that Yahoo considers the content distinctive enough to merit indexing, otherwise they would probably not get indexed or go into supplemental.

Anyways thanks for everyones feedback, if i figure anything I'll post here.

LaCabra, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  12. BrianR2

BrianR2 Guest

Best Answers:
    I noticed that your site is not in the Yahoo directory. My site was nowhere to be found in the yahoo serps until it was added to the Yahoo directory.

I would change the page title to:
    Leather Jackets, Leather Products, Leather Hides - LeatherPages.com
    to get the word "Leather" right at the front of the title tag which some experts think is a factor and get rid of the ampersand or any other connectors just to be safe.

I think Yahoo likes keywords to appear around 15% of the time on the page and it seems like the keyword "leather" is mentioned quite a few times including in the ads. There are 2 sets of Google adwords. They might look down on this but I'm just speculating.

It's a lot of work but it would be better to use css instead of all those tables. There is a lot of code on the page which dilutes the content for the search engines so if you can find a way of pushing more content up higher on the page it should help the content to get indexed better. Put all the javascript in a separate file and include it using <script src=... to get rid of more code.

The homepage seems to be primarily composed of links. Maybe you should change the content/link ratio in favour of more content.

I haven't looked over your site but it sounds like you have a lot of pages and Yahoo says that it doesn't like, "Pages in great quantity, automatically generated or of little value." Again, I don't know if that applies to you but I'm just throwing that out there. I got it from their directions for webmasters page: http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/ysearch/deletions/deletions-05.html

I think if you get the site listed in the Yahoo directory (299 USD) you will see some improvements.

Good luck.

BrianR2, Mar 2, 2006 IP
    LaCabra likes this.
  13. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    BrainR2 ... thank you soo much for your insights, I appreciate it!

LaCabra, Mar 2, 2006 IP