1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What forum software is good for me?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by ivantoar, Dec 2, 2008.

Hello. I have tried various forum softwares. From free, to paid forum softwares. As far, I have tried phpBB, MyBB, SMF, IPB, vBulletin. All of them is for testing purpose, I do not bring those forum for community or member ready.

Now, I decided to start my community. I will start a small community, where most of the members are my real life friends, and maybe some other people that they refer. Now, my question is what forum software is good for me?

As far :
    • I can install it.
    • I understand the basic default features of those forums.
    • I can modify it. But I do not have any experience with PHP and only know a little bit of CSS and HTML. I just read instructions from the mod or skins. I can't create my own skin or mods.

And I am looking for a software that :
    • Easy to use for members and me.
    • Easy to moderate.
    • Not take too much time to mod.
    • Have a great numbers of mods and skins.
    • Good support.
    • Free. If can.

I have hard times choosing between phpBB, MyBB, and SMF.

Because phpBB is popular, but modding it takes lot of time and modification is to version specific, AdminCP is messy, and many says that it's a target for spammer. MyBB is all round good, really easy to mod, but lack of skins and mods. SMF is great in mods, but it looks really ugly, AdminCP is messy, and some features are hidden somewhere.

So which one? Please help me. Thanks.

ivantoar, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  2. shadow82x

shadow82x Active Member

Best Answers:
    No offense but if you cant install SMF, myBB, and phpBB I'm not sure what software you can install. SMF offers webinstall where you dont even need to upload tons of files. Maybe a online forum service?

I feel SMF can fit all of those. Package mod installer, Known for good support community, tons of mods and themes, and free.

Looks as if you dont want to use the default theme anyway. Dont see how any features are messing but I suggest taking a look at the SMF2.0 beta.

--

Again as myself being a SMF fanboy I suggest you test them out and ask yourself what software suits me. People are are just going to "x is the best software" and of course there are fanboys for every software. Take a look at http://opensourcecms.com.

I would suggest not going with phpbb for the type of forum your looking for. But if you cant install the above forums you should certinately ask at the softwares support forum.

shadow82x, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  3. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Easy to use for members and me. - Mybb
    Easy to moderate. - Mybb
    Not take too much time to mod. - Mybb
    Have a great numbers of mods and skins. - phpbb
    Good support. -SMF
    Free. If can. - Mybb, SMF, Phpbb

My breakdown. Keep in mind as a mybb supporter I recommend it fully over any other software but every software has strengths and weaknesses.

You say you have tested these and well...what are you leaning towards? Go with your gut. Most software allow for conversions (smf, mybb, phpbb, and vb) from other software so if you make a bad choice then you can make the switch.

RectangleMan, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  4. theCulturePhile

theCulturePhile Peon

Best Answers:
    Check out Vanilla - http://lussumo.com/ - my forum - www.theCulturePhile.com - uses it and I love it. Skins are pretty easy to modify - my site is the default theme with a base skin and some color mods that I made... I think it looks cool. Very simple/basic forum -stands out from others too in terms of putting discussions on front page.

-pk

theCulturePhile, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  5. Oldiesmann

Oldiesmann Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Vanilla is terrible... You have to install a jillion mods just to get the features that most forums have by default.

Oldiesmann, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  6. theCulturePhile

theCulturePhile Peon

Best Answers:
    ya but its very simple - that's the point of vanilla. it is very simple, straightforward forum software. your forum will not contain any functions or things you don't want or need.

theCulturePhile, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  7. a3d

a3d Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    SMF is ugly.. their mods or SMF itself ?? :eek:
    there are so many themes that you can work on..
    there also tinyportal and it will be look as smart portal.
    for me, the best from 3 choices of yours is SMF.

a3d, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  8. ivantoar

ivantoar Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course I can install them properly LOL :) In fact I've tested them all.

It's good for "pure" discussion. So, Vanilla is not for me. I hate to mod a forum to get a default feature. On the other side, I've tested it. It runs fast.

At the skin. Add on skin still not disguise it layout :) You can recognize SMF easily even though it is using custom skins usually. Because SMF is really ... different I think :) It's design is original but kinda dislike it.

Hmm, I like the ease of MyBB but like the mods and features that SMF have. So my decision will be aimed at SMF and MyBB. Are there any known issues importing from MyBB to SMF or SMF to MyBB?

And SMF 2 gets my attention. But it's still in beta. Safe to use?

ivantoar, Dec 2, 2008 IP
  9. Oldiesmann

Oldiesmann Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The same can be said about any forum for the most part. The skin won't necessarily disguise the software.

I'm not aware of any issues converting from MyBB to SMF. Can't tell you about converting from SMF to MyBB.

SMF 2.0 is safe to use on live forums. There are still some minor bugs in Beta 4, many of which have been fixed for RC1. The biggest issue is that many mods and themes aren't compatible with 2.0 yet, so make sure you're aware of what mods and themes are available for 2.0 before you decide to use it.

Oldiesmann, Dec 3, 2008 IP
  10. MechPoint

MechPoint Banned

Best Answers:
    Easy to use for members and me: SMF
    Easy to moderate: SMF
    Not take too much time to mod: SMF
    Have a great numbers of mods and skins: SMF
    Good support: SMF
    Free. If can: SMF

The SMF support forums are great. You'll get a response very quickly. Also, the SMF mod & theme database is HUGE, with new mods & themes being created daily. And the Package Installer is awesome.

Go with SMF.

MechPoint, Dec 3, 2008 IP
  11. ivantoar

ivantoar Peon

Best Answers:
    So then, SMF 2.0 not this time.. Maybe I'll grab 1.17. Anyway, I can't set all my members to have their quick reply by default LOL... And mods and themes are not compatible with 2.0 beta. And still minor bugs!

What about MyBB compared to SMF?

ivantoar, Dec 3, 2008 IP
  12. shadow82x

shadow82x Active Member

Best Answers:
    Just as any software once you know the layout of settings it will be really easy to navigate. You can enable quick reply for newly registered members by going to Admin > Current Theme > Member Options > Configure guest and new user options for this them -or- Change current options for all members using this theme. You than choose quick reply from there.

Many debates about this. I used myBB for a few months lives and was not so impressed so I went with SMF. SMF also held pessary forum features I felt was necessary for my community. Both scripts have there pros and cons. Like I said it depends on what type of forum you plan on creating. Is it like a general forum?

shadow82x, Dec 4, 2008 IP
  13. ivantoar

ivantoar Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea, it's like a general forum. With some private section.

Choosing SMF or MyBB is really hard :(

ivantoar, Dec 4, 2008 IP
  14. shadow82x

shadow82x Active Member

Best Answers:
    Its up to you and what you want to make our of your community. Mine was more successful with SMF but im sure others are good with myBB. Gotta love how SMF tracks the posts.

In any case SMF and myBB both have converters for eachother.

shadow82x, Dec 5, 2008 IP
  15. theCulturePhile

theCulturePhile Peon

Best Answers:
    Shawdow -

Do you know if I could convert a Vanilla forum to SMF?

Thanks.

-pk

theCulturePhile, Dec 5, 2008 IP
  16. ivantoar

ivantoar Peon

Best Answers:
    Just find at their download site. There may be one. And if there aren't, you always can request it on the forums. Converted my forum to SMF 1.1.7, and it went very smooth! Nice.

ivantoar, Dec 5, 2008 IP
  17. shadow82x

shadow82x Active Member

Best Answers:
    shadow82x, Dec 6, 2008 IP
  18. theCulturePhile

theCulturePhile Peon

Best Answers:
    Shawdow -

Thanks my friend... You like SMF better than phpBB2 is presume... yes?

-pk

theCulturePhile, Dec 6, 2008 IP
  19. shadow82x

shadow82x Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes anything is way better than phpbb2. :p

phpbb2 will be unsupported soon too.

shadow82x, Dec 6, 2008 IP
  20. Tarkan

Tarkan Peon

Best Answers:
    As long as you don't use phpbb, you should be fine, I agree with Shadow!

Tarkan, Dec 6, 2008 IP