1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What does it take, really, to become an editor at DMOZ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by pittmanllc, Jul 1, 2008.

I'm just curious. I applied for a position a while back and got rejected. Anyone here successfully land an editorial position?

pittmanllc, Jul 1, 2008 IP
  2. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just an interest in helping build a great directory and the ability to edit according to the guidelines. Not hard and good fun ;) Unless your rejection specifically stated not to reapply, then you should try again.

Its just a case of "learning" how to edit, i applied numerous times before i was accepted.

snooks, Jul 2, 2008 IP
    jjwill likes this.
  3. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Besides what snooks says, I think one of the most important qualities for an editor is to be totally honest and aboveboard on your application. Don't try to hide anything, do just the opposite, and let the chips fall where they fall.

Don't say things that you think a meta editor wants to hear, just tell the truth.

Read our Guidelines and pay special attention to how to write ODP compliant titles and descriptions for the listings and check the current listings to get a better feel for how they are written in the particular category you're applying for, and pay attention to why and where particular sites belong, category wise. Your example sites will demonstrate your ability to understand where a site belongs.

Your motivation for becoming an editor. There really is no right or wrong answer, so don't make one up. This goes back to honesty. Meta editors are very good at ferreting out the truth. What you think might be detrimental in becoming an editor, might not be at all, and something you might consider an advantage, might be just the opposite, so the best thing to do is to just be honest.

Becoming an editor is an entry level position, you know nothing and aren't expected to know anything. What you are expected to do is to ask questions and follow the advice that more experienced editors will give you (which is just about every editor who has been there for more than a week) :D. You are equal in status with every other editor and you can speak freely, but you are not equal in editing knowledge and experience. (no matter how clever you are in RL)

You will be limited to editing one small category, this is your training ground. As you learn and demonstrate your editing knowledge by building this category and making sure the structure and listings are in tiptop shape, you may apply for other categories.

You will be judged by how well you've done in your current category, and you will usually receive some detailed feedback on what you can improve on, should you be denied your request for further editing permissions.

This is business, so being denied should not be taken personally, there are plenty of editors that are willing to help you. All editors have been denied at one time or another, it's very common, but you will not be given access to wider areas of the Directory until you can edit properly, and those further permissions can be taken away if you start getting sloppy.

So, the process that you're required to do to become an editor, continues afterwards. Every new category you'd like to edit in requires a request form and 3 sample sites to show your understanding of the scope of the category and the kind of sites that go in it. :)

Good or bad editing abilities can be spotted immediately by an experienced editor with one glance at an editors category, and no editor owns a category, many other editors can also edit there.

crowbar, Jul 2, 2008 IP
    jjwill and syted like this.
  4. shadow575

shadow575 Peon

Best Answers:
    The application process helps to demonstrate two things, #1 whether the applicant shows the potential to become a good and productive editor and #2 is the applicant trying to be honest or deceptive?

The Meta's and Catmods reviewing applications really do want to accept new editors and as many good ones we can get. The vast majority of the applications I review are nearly all automatic rejections though. These applications are those failing to complete the application, trying to sneak affiliated sites in as sample URL's, or most commonly just simply applying for categories far to large for a trainee. The applications I review that don't fall into these types, are almost always accepted.

To be accepted:
    • Read the guidelines.
    • Pick a category you are interested in.
    • Select a sub-category of it that contains less than 100 listed sites (that would include the sum of all sub-cats as well) if its too large.
    • Declare all your affiliations.
    • Provide 3 sample URLs not associated/affiliated with you but relevant to the category you are applying.
    • Provide your sample URL's with Titles and descriptions in accordance with the guidelines.
    Applications that try to do the above, will likely be accepted.

shadow575, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  5. jjwill

jjwill Peon

Best Answers:
    To be honest, most editors i know have had to apply more than once. :)

jjwill, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  6. rekjl

rekjl Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I know a few who tried more than three times as well. Be patient, perhaps there is alreaddy someone who is also applying at the same time.

rekjl, Jul 3, 2008 IP
  7. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Shadow is a meta editor, one of those who approve editor applications, and knows much more about the process than I do, but I'll give you my thoughts about it.

It is not a single act of filling out the form, it is a process and a test. If you are denied, you'll be given a generic list of possible reasons. Your job is to figure out which of those might apply to you and correct them on your next application.

It's not terribly difficult, or we wouldn't have kids and teens that are editors. In fact, one teen became a meta editor I believe, which normally takes years to accomplish.

Editing in the Directory is not like editing a newspaper or magazine. You are editing titles and descriptions to tell a web surfer what the site is and what can be found on it (the type of content on the site), so that the web surfer can immediately decide on which sites in the category might be worth visiting.

Sales hype and key word lists for search engine optimization does not accomplish that purpose.

It has nothing to do with the expertise of the site design/navigation, the worthiness, legitimacy, size, or the length of time the entity or its site has been in existance. The reason for that is because editors are not the Internet police, and their only objective is to build a good category of what they consider to be useful sites with some kind of unique content for the web surfer.

Understanding that editors do not provide a listing service for submitters, are not trying to list every site in existance, but are trying to build useful categories for someone who is looking for specific information on a Topic or Geographic Area will give you a better grasp on what an editor really does.

You could say that's not fair to the submitter, and you'd be right, but the Directory does not serve submitters, it serves only the seeker of the information, and perhaps by proxy, entities who deliver the information editors collect and organize, to that seeker (like search engines). But the Directory doesn't serve those search engines directly, they just happen to deliver the data as a by product, how they use the data is their business, not the Directorys business.

The Directory neither asks nor cares whether they use the data, they are just welcome to use it freely, as everyone else is. They have absolutely nothing to do with building the Directory, they merely use its data downstream.

There are many other jobs an editor can choose to do on any given day that doesn't require adding any sites at all, and they are all just as important, so there is a large variety of things to do which makes editing very interesting work.

crowbar, Jul 3, 2008 IP
  8. jjwill

jjwill Peon

Best Answers:
    good job crowbar. ;)

Just to add a tid bit. It may be helpful to point out any clean up the category my need. Such as:
    1. incorrect titles or descriptions
    2. Hi-jacked sites or sites that no longer meet the descriptions.
    3. Suggested subcategories if there are several sites that could go there
    4. Sites that are affiliate or doorway spamming sites.
    5. on and on :)

jjwill, Jul 3, 2008 IP
  9. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I do think that patience is key... unlike suggested sites where the average joe needs to know and understand the guidelines, the same does not hold true for editors *boggle* you are given multiple chances so if at first you don't succeed, then try try again... eventually you'll make it in (or they will eventually tell you to stop).

I made it in on my first try though, heh, I took the time to read the guidelines and follow them ;)

Qryztufre, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  10. docelder

docelder Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a doctorate degree and practiced for fifteen years. I retired from practice and learned web programming, first as a hobby. I then became the director of Internet at a large company that services libraries. For the past five years I have been a CIO. I applied for a small empty category and was rejected. I guess they really don't need help... at least my help. :)

docelder, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  11. dsouza

dsouza Peon

Best Answers:
    try and try again you will be success

dsouza, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  12. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel Banned

Best Answers:
    I have seen lots of similar posts from people making similar claims in their credentials....but imagine the damage that someone like you can do to the directory if you can not follow guidelines on the selection of the sample sites and the writing of the title and description that follows the guidelines. A more senior editor will have to go and correct them all ..... it does not matter how qualified you are ... it matter how you follow the guidelines.

Secret Squirrel, Jul 15, 2008 IP
  13. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Always entertaining when someone with dual DP logins lectures others about the importance of following guidelines.

Birdie / Secret Squirrel duo reported.

robjones, Jul 15, 2008 IP
    bogart likes this.
  14. docelder

docelder Peon

Best Answers:
    I probably would have just botched the category of thirty-something entries... thereby forever damaging the integrity of the directory and perhaps even the larger Internet itself. Despite the fact that I have years of experience in the topic area, somebody else is probably more qualified. They probably have more free time as well. I am not complaining. I have just seen post after post for years now of ODP editors saying they are overworked. So, I thought it would be better to light one candle... than to curse the darkness. ;)

docelder, Jul 15, 2008 IP
    robjones likes this.
  15. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @docelder:

It's not roulette - Russian or otherwise.

I just took a peek at your application and at least two of the common reasons for declining an application hold true. They are both included in the list in the email you were sent (shown below).
    Do try again, but before hitting the send button, critically examine your application in the light of the above and the advice given in post 4.

jimnoble, Jul 15, 2008 IP
  16. Brennan

Brennan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'll give you two tips.

1. Apply for a small category which doesn't already have a editor, try the category for your local area and work your way up.

2. Make sure your submissions in your application follow the guidelines.

Brennan :)

Brennan, Jul 18, 2008 IP