1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What does happens to your rank position when your site is down ?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by sadcox66, Mar 4, 2005.

I can tell you, A network outage at the datacenter has made my website unreachable. All three keywords that I used to rank No.1 or over a year now rank No.7 or No.8

I'am sure this made some people happy because they probably think their hard SEO efforts have finally paid off ;)

I am wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation and can offer some advise. When my websites once again become reachable in the next 24 hours.

Where will I rank in the SERPs ?
    • Google once again puts me at No.1 postion (unlikely)
    • Google will spider my sites and re-rank me at No.1 for the pharse again
    • Google will not bother to rank me ever again - other sites over similar things

An important point is I use Adsense so they have a pretty good idea if I am making money for them or not.

Any guesses and advice on how to bounce back ?

sadcox66, Mar 4, 2005 IP
  2. ROAR

ROAR Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    my guess is you will be fine...same spots as before
    I had my site down for a day around new years and everything came back very quickly.

ROAR, Mar 4, 2005 IP
  3. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Welll, a bit out of topic, but I moved one of my sites to a new server and forgot to check out the databases... didn't notice it until I did a site: command check and noticed that I had lost over 50% of my pages because they were all showoing the same error and google took them as duplicates.

Made me so mad... so, be careful and test all your site once you move it

fryman, Mar 4, 2005 IP
  4. paymentapprovaltooslow

paymentapprovaltooslow Banned

Best Answers:
    it depends how long. A few hours is no problem, but you will get dropped if your site is down for over a few days if it is in a competitive sector. The google crawler will drop it.

paymentapprovaltooslow, Mar 4, 2005 IP
  5. sadcox66

sadcox66 Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Thank you All of you.

ROAR I feel much better knowing that I will probably be back in the SERPs.

Fryman, thank you for the heads up on checking the database. That could definitely be a potential problem I am going to face.

paymentapprovaltooslow - one of my sites may be down longer. I guess I will have to let google know it's still up.

Responses are much appreciated :) Have a great weekend ! :D

sadcox66, Mar 4, 2005 IP
  6. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Ummmmm ... I moved www.komar.org a few months ago to a new datacenter and didn't really notice any difference in the SERP's ... just another data point for 'ya ...

hulkster, Mar 4, 2005 IP
  7. ohcnetwork

ohcnetwork Peon

Best Answers:
    Nothing really changes if the site is down for a couple of hours. Nothing changes, either, even if the site is down for a couple of days. You'll see some change if the site is down much longer.

ohcnetwork, Mar 4, 2005 IP
  8. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've seen sites stick in the top five results on google that haven't existed for 3 or more months. Amazingly their ghost ranking just sits there and sits there and never seems to die.

Dominic, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  9. sadcox66

sadcox66 Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    After 48 hours (2 days) dropped three of my key phrases from position1 to position 6,7 and 8 respectively.

Your right however some phrases have remained at a high position - they do not receive much traffic - so I did not pay much attention to them.

I expect my sites to be online tomorrow and hope I will go up again the the SERPs for the high traffic phrases. Thank you for the information.

sadcox66, Mar 5, 2005 IP