1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What do you use to build your website?

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by Insomniac487, May 7, 2008.

How's it going everybody? New guy here. Known about it for awhile but have finally decided to try it out. I am in the process of starting up a new website with adsense (from scratch) but I'm having trouble finding a plan. (all in one, hosting + domain). One that has a easy editor that has newbie-friendly tools (drag n drop, etc). My niche is going to be weight loss / diet / work out routines / health info / etc, things of that genre all jampacked into one big site. 30-40+ pages. Mostly text, some pictures. And I plan on putting adsense on all those pages. I chose this niche because I have great knowledge on this subject. Also because I want to make this site different from all the other health sites out there. Something truely unique. A neat, organized, & simple design, and sections most health sites don't include. Stuff like "myths", "what works", "whats dangerous", "products to avoid", "tips/secrets not so widely known", etc.

I've done my research, looked at tons of threads, read the FAQ's and hope to be successful! Cause after reading all the threads on here, its definitely inspiring and motiviating. Goal : $50 a day. (could take some time, heh) . I've found two plans so far...

Yahoo Webhosting
    - free domain, no ads
    - $8.96 a month (first 3 months, 11.95 after).
    - No setup fee (save $25)
    - Easy site design tools (newbie friendly)
    - unlimited disk space, data transfer, and email storage
    - 1,000 email addresses

Yahoo Geocities Pro
    - free domain, no ads
    - $8.95 a month
    - one time setup fee $15.00
    - easy site design tools (newbie friendly)
    - 2 gig disk, space
    - 100 GB data transfer (for visitors)
    - 5 email addresses

So far im aiming towards Yahoo Geocities's Pro program. I would get the webhosting plans, but I feel like like there is a lot of stuff that I don't need. 1,000 email addresses, extra disk space, extra data transfers, etc. Unless you guys think I might need it? got a couple of questions if you guys don't mind :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Has anybody used Yahoo Geocities's pro plan, to build your website? if so, how was the experience? thoughts, opinions, etc? im guessing this is the most popular plan people use to build their sites

2. Google adsense is allowed on Yahoo Geocitie's pro program, correct? Just want to make sure. The plan doesn't have any ads, so google can fit right in

3. Will my website appear in all search engines? (yahoo, google, msn, altavista, etc) instead of one? (yahoo)

4. What other alternative plans are there? Ive looked into award space, but im not sure if their tools are newbie-friendly. Same thing with 50megs. Any other choices out there, that tons of people tend to go with?

thanks!

Insomniac487, May 7, 2008 IP
  2. l1tilr

l1tilr Guest

Best Answers:
    I haven't had experience with site design tools but the one thing you seem to rely on from these hosts are the tools and I would bet that in a year that is going to be the one thing you find you don't need anymore because you will gain some knowledge of html. then, you might find that although you no longer like your hosting company, you can't change because there is some adherence to the site you made with the tool. I feel you should use a program on your computer to start your site.

also, the free domain. is it yours to take with you? I doubt it and would rather purchase the domain myself. then it is yours to take with you.

If it was me, I would use a blog or content management program but the one thing I don't see in the features is a database

l1tilr, May 7, 2008 IP
  3. sultanofseo

sultanofseo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Y! Geocities is way too expensive. you can try godaddy (good cheap host for beginners) or bluehost. i have used them both and they proved to be reliable cheap service. with bluehost plan, you get free domain as well. if you take godaddy hosting plan, domain is 1.99

sultanofseo, May 7, 2008 IP
  4. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I like using wordpress. If you need unique content in that niche, PM me.

dcristo, May 7, 2008 IP
  5. killerkiwi

killerkiwi Peon

Best Answers:
    i use TextEdit :)

killerkiwi, May 7, 2008 IP
  6. KingJim

KingJim Peon

Best Answers:
    Godaddy has the cheapest hosting anywhere...and you can do a google search on godaddy coupons and get it even cheaper!

KingJim, May 7, 2008 IP
  7. Yankee85

Yankee85 Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Joomla right now but I'm planning to switch my website on ASP.NET

Yankee85, May 7, 2008 IP
  8. harvester

harvester Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If I were you I'd forget about these all-in-one deals. Buy your domain from one company, host it with another company, and take the trouble to learn how to build a website yourself, maybe with Nvu, a free website building program.

harvester, May 7, 2008 IP
  9. silveraden

silveraden Banned

Best Answers:
    Seems this is a wrong folder for this discussion....

silveraden, May 8, 2008 IP
  10. digitalspace

digitalspace Banned

Best Answers:
    i use wordpress, drupal.

digitalspace, May 8, 2008 IP
  11. peejaydee

peejaydee Peon

Best Answers:
    I used freevirtualservers.com to buy and host a domain. It cost about £10 for a dot com and hosting was free (with 100Mb bandwidth limit per month) for just a link on the home page of your site. I later upgraded to get more bandwidth and still only pay about £20/year. Service is great, never down, CPanel is good.

For the site I started using MS Publisher, being a novice, but was soon told that not everyone could read it, e.g. Firefox users had trouble. The site is static so I switched to Nvu (opensource html editor) and revamped the site, which also dramatically reduced my page sizes and bandwidth requirements.

As the others have said, buy a domain, get it hosted and learn html - even just the basics - take a look at htmldog.com, it saved me.

peejaydee, May 8, 2008 IP
  12. Reflections

Reflections Peon

Best Answers:
    It will better if you go for a dedicated IP. Though it costs more but the best service you can get.
    I am using 1and1. Godaddy and bluehost are also cheap and good.

Reflections, May 8, 2008 IP
  13. Abhik

Abhik ..:: The ONE ::..

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I am using Wordpress in GoDaddy Hosting.
    Its working just fine for me.

Abhik, May 8, 2008 IP
  14. Tarakan

Tarakan Active Member

Best Answers:
    you may take a look at Hostgator . i heard they provide reliable good web hosting. As for myself, i actually have my own IBM e226 series server hosted at a local data centre at a 10mbps. I am paying USD$180 per month for the co location. Without shared hosting, I have all the bandwidth to myself without shared hosting with other companies. This might be an expensive solution but its really worth it now.

For HTML editing, i am using ColdFusion Studio (been using it for the past 6 years) due to its Remote Access Service feature. Thus I don need to FTP upload all updated pages. Just update the content and save it to the server at an instant. Site HTML services not really keen on it though.

Tarakan, May 8, 2008 IP
  15. adleym

adleym Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm with hostgator and have never had a problem with them for over 2 years. They're $10 a month but unlimited bandwidth.

adleym, May 8, 2008 IP
  16. Jeehan

Jeehan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am using DreamHost. 550GB space. 5TB Band Width. Script installer. Never faced downtime. 90 days money back. (Coupon coed 50$ less you can also find it). Joomla is better than wordpress i think. And you will find enough tutorial for Joomla on net. Good Luck.

* paid 10 years in advance. $10.95/mo monthly, $9.95/mo for 1 year, $8.95/mo for 2 years, $7.95/mo for 3 years, $6.95/mo for 5 years. $49.95 set up fee if you pay monthly.

Jeehan, May 8, 2008 IP
  17. sultanofseo

sultanofseo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    why would anyone need a dedicated IP just to host site?

sultanofseo, May 8, 2008 IP
    medicalhumor likes this.
  18. medicalhumor

medicalhumor Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe he meant dedicated server. You do NOT need a dedicated server for your first website. You will be in WAY over your head. Also, stay away from Yahoo for hosting. Very restrictive, and the previous poster noted, in a year you will be not needing the easy site manager

Register a domain name separately from your host. Get a SHARED hosting plan with cPanel. Use Fantastico (part of cPanel that installs scripts for you) and install WordPress Blog. Very easy to use for a beginner.

Keep reading this forum and ask questions when you have them.
    Oh, and next time, try to post in the right section

medicalhumor, May 8, 2008 IP
    sultanofseo likes this.
  19. ORZ

ORZ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Using commercial cms Bitrix, a free one I would recommend is Definitely Joomla :)

ORZ, May 8, 2008 IP
  20. Jalpari

Jalpari Notable Member

Best Answers:
    - U can design static site in dreamweaver MX ,frontpage and many other WYSIWYG editor n if u know html u can code in notepad too.

For dynamic site u can use wordpress or blogspot.com its easy for newbie.

- Hostgator.com, dreamhost.com
    for domains: namecheap.com, godaddy.com (some hosting package has free domain along with hosting)

- when spider will index ur site then ur site will appear in se list. :D

Jalpari, May 8, 2008 IP