1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What do you think about 'Pay First before Your Order'?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by dgraphicrookie, Nov 27, 2011.

1. tom.jeraldino

tom.jeraldino Active Member

Best Answers:
    wow, you seem to take the matter really seriously, it's good though

tom.jeraldino, Mar 27, 2012 IP
  2. SimonHaestoe

SimonHaestoe Peon

Best Answers:
    I dislike it. Frankly.

SimonHaestoe, Apr 2, 2012 IP
  3. kcareconnections

kcareconnections Member

Best Answers:
    I charge some type of fee upfront for work that I do. However, I would not feel right about charging the full amount before I do the work. Most clients that I have had are willing to pay some percentage at the start of the project. One of my long-term clients actually pays me 100% upfront but this is something that he decided to do on his own since he has very large orders and likes me to take my time to complete them without trying to finish quickly to receive payments.

kcareconnections, Apr 2, 2012 IP
  4. tom.jeraldino

Best Answers:
    What do you dislike? I didn't get it

tom.jeraldino, Apr 3, 2012 IP
  5. sonny_king

sonny_king Member

Best Answers:
    Several diffrent factors goes into paying upfront for copy.One big one is the reputation factor. If you have made a name for yourself in the field then paying upfront could be a logical choice. At any rate one solution that solves this....Escrow.com

sonny_king, Apr 3, 2012 IP
  6. msmedia

msmedia Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want to get them to commit, but want to keep things loose, here's one thought:

Require 50% upfront as a deposit, and the rest upon delivery of the creatives (copy).

If you're using PayPal, you can set things up so that you can send them a second payment link, and have that redirect
    to a download. Obviously, that would be the zip file that contains the material they hired you to write.

msmedia, Apr 3, 2012 IP
  7. sarahdb

sarahdb Peon

Best Answers:
    Whether or not I ask for upfront payment depends on a number of things. If I google the company/client and come up with something impressive, I probably won't bother. For example, I've written for the Discovery Channel website. I don't need upfront payment from them --I know they're going to pay me. Private clients with impressive track records and a good online presence don't have to pay me in advance either. If I'm writing for an unknown with a gmail or yahoo account and no website, then I'll ask for a percentage upfront.

sarahdb, Apr 4, 2012 IP
  8. tom.jeraldino

Best Answers:
    You're absolutely right, everything depends on the reputation of the company you're planning to work with

tom.jeraldino, Apr 6, 2012 IP
  9. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I think a lot of it has to do with the size of the project. If it is small and won't take too long to write,I suppose you could take a chance and maybe end up getting a new regular client. Obviously you could also end up getting burnt.
    But if it is a large project that will take you a long time and involve tons of research work,then get references. If the prospective client won't or can't provide any references,contemplate walking away.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
    Spoiltdiva, Apr 6, 2012 IP
  10. bacit

bacit Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    WOW

lot of replies from so many of you and great to read such replies as well, it si surely sharing of knowledge here

ok MY TURN

I believe that 2 ways can be followed
    First =- take payments in PP = client has 45 days to ask for a refund if work delivered is not up to the mark, always send invoice and mention the terms of service while raising invoice to your client via PP

Second =- All writers should have a blog of their own what i personally do is if any of my client doesn't pay within 24hrs time from the time of delivery then i post them a mail if not replied back in few hours then i post the article written for them in my blog, which makes the content not an unique one hence they are not able to use it

bacit, Apr 6, 2012 IP
  11. kurniawan05

kurniawan05 Active Member

Best Answers:
    agree, u must good repitation before u ask them to pay first, i have a friend that he asked customer to pay 100% first before he did the job :)

kurniawan05, Apr 6, 2012 IP
  12. tom.jeraldino

Best Answers:
    Or make sure to get paid first, after all, everyone needs some garantees

tom.jeraldino, Apr 9, 2012 IP
  13. Andy_Button

Andy_Button Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    My policy is to ask for payment up-front first, then if the client won't agree with it, offer 50/50. At this point in my career I won't work 100% on spec, ever.

Andy_Button, Apr 9, 2012 IP
  14. Andraž Rihtar

Andraž Rihtar Member

Best Answers:
    After being stood up several times I've wrote myself a Terms of Service where I've stated that the client needs to pay 20% of the agreed fee before I even lift a finger. Since I've done that, none of the clients have stood me up so I must say that at current time I think that's the only solution for us freelancers.

Andraž Rihtar, Apr 9, 2012 IP
  15. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not a 100% guarantee. My first deadbeat was from a major international company most everyone here would recognize. Just because the company has a good rep doesn't mean the person you are dealing with does.

YMC, Apr 9, 2012 IP
  16. tom.jeraldino

Best Answers:
    Well, it's clear that you should protect yourself. On the other hand, you should also expect others to be willing to protect themselves either

tom.jeraldino, Apr 10, 2012 IP
  17. chris1230

chris1230 Member

Best Answers:
    Nice programm !!!!

chris1230, Apr 10, 2012 IP