1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What do you make of unlimited bandwidth hosting?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by Ajeet, Nov 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I come across a lot of hosting providers who claim to offer unlimited bandwidth. Of course, if you look really close, they say something like: Unlimited means that about 95% of all websites would meet the criteria blah blah.

But, all in all, should we think of an unlimited bandwidth provider as a great idea, or as something to stay away from?
    SEMrush
    Thanks
    Ajeet

Ajeet, Nov 2, 2004 IP
    SEMrush
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    There's always what is called a 'fair use policy'. Just like my cable internet provider has no download limits. But they will come knock on my door (or at least ring or send a bill) when I start download 24/7, terabytes at the same time.

T0PS3O, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    As Seller:
    100% - 272
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Probably something to stay away from. There is no such thing as unlimited/free bandwidth. If you get one, let me know... I'll pay you $5/month to let me host some stuff that will get about 500GB of traffic per day. :)

digitalpoint, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  4. flawebworks

flawebworks Tech Services

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    If you're running a site that uses nothing bandwith wise to speak of; then you're probably safe. But the second the site starts getting traffic; chances are you'll find your site shut down with a an email telling you that "you are using too many resources and so you must leave or pay us $12,000.00 a month". Personally; I wouldn't trust a company that uses a unlimited bandwith selling point - there's no such thing.

flawebworks, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  5. mxlabs

mxlabs Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    you could always rent a 100mbit line, no charge for bandwidth after that, completely uncapped. You'll probably have to add another $5 on top of that though... and another $5... and... and... ;)

the real problem isn't located on your end. Hosters offering "all unlimited" accounts often attract freeloaders... people who will host the half life 2 demo on their account and share it with the whole wide web. These accounts get cancelled within a couple of days, but new freeloaders are waiting to reserve their spots in the history of web hosting stupidity and make your server seem like it has 14.4kbit connectivity ;)

mxlabs, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  6. clubbin714

clubbin714 Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Definetly stay away. Web traffic is never "unlimited'.

clubbin714, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  7. lenny322000

lenny322000 Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    don't trust unlimited offers, unmetered is what it legit people offer

lenny322000, Jun 13, 2008 IP
  8. Cameron [NetXHosting]

Cameron [NetXHosting] Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    OK, you just bumped a 4 year old thread :eek:

Cameron [NetXHosting], Jun 13, 2008 IP
  9. IwhiC

IwhiC Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    wow how did he even find this thread...

IwhiC, Jun 13, 2008 IP
  10. Schmarvin

Schmarvin Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Could a mod please lock this topic?

Schmarvin, Jun 13, 2008 IP
  11. NewageHosting

NewageHosting Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Well even if this IS a four year old thread, I for one have NOT been here for four years. And it touches on a question I myself have recently been pondering. I KNOW there is no such thing as unlimited space. I mean we all KNOW a harddrive only has so much space and it IS limited. I myself tend to stay away from offers of unlimited space as that is a sure giveaway of extreme overselling which always leads to trouble. But could one of you seasoned proffesional hosts please do explaine the difference between unlimited and unmetered bandwidth and maybe give what you consider to be a safe zone in the space to bandwidth ratio?

NewageHosting, Jun 13, 2008 IP
  12. IwhiC

IwhiC Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0

Ok read these two articals, also there are limits to the unmetered hosting deals, you must read the tos,

Unmetered means that they will not give you a set limit and monitor or suspend you account if you reach the, lets say 100gb a month alloted.

But there are other server resources that you must keep in mind as well, the cpu, and memory are not unlimited., if you have a website that has 10k visits a day more then likely you are going to exceed the cpu usage limit.

Most hosts will not allow you to store files on the server as well, so the disk space is usually not a problem. It can be done if managed correctly we have been offering unmetered plans for almost 2 years and managing it correctly we have not had a problem..

I would be very careful when choosing one to make sure you read the Tos and if they are a reseller they may not have all the tos in there site so the server admin may suspend your account. So just do your research, there are a few of us that i would recommend that offer unmetered most of them I would not.

http://blog.computerxpert.biz/
    http://dontgetscammed.net/

IwhiC, Jun 13, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.