1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What do you do when someone threatens to sue over a thread on discussion board?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by stephfoster, Jan 19, 2005.

Here's the thread in question: http://www.homewiththekids.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1792

Basically, they're telling me the comments are false and defamatory and that I am causing them damage by leaving the thread up. Said medical transcription school is quite controversial, and has been so on many other sites for months. Most of the accusations I have read elsewhere in milder language.

I've asked her to simply refute them, which she shows no interest in doing.

Not quite sure how much liability there is in this for me, or how much inconvenience I am willing to take on in this matter, but it goes against the grain to back down easily. I think if I do delete, I'll start a section on my board for medical transcriptionists, and ban all posts and signature links relating to their company, as well as block them on AdSense. I'm plenty qualified to have such a section on my board, I've been a medical transcriptionist for three years now.

stephfoster, Jan 19, 2005 IP
  2. ImVickieB

ImVickieB Berserker

Best Answers:
    Hmmm, I am no expert on this, but I would think that they would have to take you to court and prove that said statements are false. Do you have anything in your site disclaimer that protects you in cases like this? If not, I would suggest that you add it :D

ImVickieB, Jan 19, 2005 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If the statements are true, then you are fine.

digitalpoint, Jan 19, 2005 IP
  4. stephfoster

stephfoster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Had my sister check with a free legal advice site, and basically, they said about a 50-50 chance they can at least make my life miserable for a while. So, I think I'll take it down and add the new board. If they don't want their school discussed, then it won't be allowed.

5. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldnt worry about it too much.

joeychgo, Jan 19, 2005 IP
  6. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds like they won and you lost. That's too bad. It's sad when the threat of frivolous law suits harms free speach in this way.

mopacfan, Jan 19, 2005 IP
  7. briandunning

briandunning Active Member

Best Answers:
    Someone can always sue you regardless of the merits. And it will cost you significant money and a major headache if they do. If you win, you'll probably be able to get a judgement ordering them to pay your costs. But (a) you will have had to spend the money in the first place - if you ignore it you'll lose by default; (b) winning the lawsuit is going to require a significant investment of time & money from you; (c) there's no guarantee that you'll ever be paid what the judgement says you should.

Unless this content is mission critical to your business, take it down, who cares. There are too many litigious people in this world, and life's too short to waste time fighting with them.

briandunning, Jan 19, 2005 IP
    JoyGoRound likes this.
  8. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    I've actually been threatened with a two lawsuits in the last year and a half by big (ger than me) companies. In both cases, the basis for the threat was laughable, and in both cases it scared me a great deal. One slip-up (missed filing deadline, etc.) and I could end up owing some company a lot of money. In neither case could I bring myself to back down though. There are certain principles that you just have to fight for. Once they realized I wasn't backing down both companies backed off.

nevetS, Jan 19, 2005 IP
    mopacfan likes this.
  9. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    nevetS, good for you! Standing up for yourself is hard to do and I sincerely applaud your will and tenacity!

mopacfan, Jan 19, 2005 IP
  10. stephfoster

stephfoster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I know, and with different timing I might have behaved differently. But at seven months pregnant, having just moved into a new apartment, there's only so much I'm willing to risk. I've had too much stress lately as is.

Somebody is certainly keeping a sharp eye on this company, though. I got an email a few minutes ago from a person saying she has proof of the claims made, and that they've threatened her with lawsuits many times, never to follow through. Doesn't surprise me, as they struck me as just trying to bully me rather than intending anything serious, but as I said, I'm not at a good point to take that chance.

Maybe I should start linking to the negatives in my blog...

11. earlpearl

earlpearl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Many trade schools are full of BS. I know. I run one. We have always tried to follow the rules/law and not to BS about jobs, jobs, jobs...which is typically the biggest complaint. Schools, either brick or mortar or on the web oversell the fact that they can get you a job. Students usually complain because they don't do squat to help with landing jobs.

If they are certified in your state complain to the state board. That gets them where it hurts.
    If they are on the web find out where they are certified before doing anything. Often they have no certitification. Don't touch them. You have no recourse if they don't deliver.

Periodically there are major problems about trade schools of all types. 60 Minutes ran an expose about a national chain a couple of weeks ago.

Dave

earlpearl, Mar 1, 2005 IP
  12. paymentapprovaltooslow

paymentapprovaltooslow Banned

Best Answers:
    Well, sdame with degrees..way over rated

paymentapprovaltooslow, Mar 1, 2005 IP
  13. wendydettmer

wendydettmer Peon

Best Answers:

I'll remember that when i'm checking out doctors or lawyers, eh, who cares if they have a degree

wendydettmer, Mar 1, 2005 IP
  14. younghistorians

younghistorians Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Weren't your comments considered opinion? If so, how do you explain sites like www.paypalsucks.com ? It's all opinion...free speech anyone?

younghistorians, Mar 1, 2005 IP
  15. Fishing Forum

Fishing Forum Active Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting

I have a disclaimer with a link on every page

Not sure it covers me but hay I live in the UK

Fishing Forum, Mar 1, 2005 IP
  16. carowan

carowan Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe you can do both:

If your going to lose sleep over it, take down the thread. It sounds like you have much more important things on your mind.

As a replacement, post general information on how to research the credentials of trade schools as per earlpearl's post so the next person down the line isn't taken in by their BS.

Or you can post exactly why the forum were taken down:

"At the request of Shady Trade School, the following forum was deleted, due to the uncharitable posts of Shady Trade School."

I dunno, but I hate to see someone bullied.

Good Luck

carowan, Mar 14, 2005 IP
  17. crumblepie

crumblepie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Personally, I'd apologize even if I was not in the wrong and basically avoid getting sued.

crumblepie, Apr 7, 2008 IP
  18. Dondon2d

Dondon2d Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, you just dug a 3-year old thread! :D

Dondon2d, Apr 7, 2008 IP
  19. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Honest mistakes - I've made them as well... :eek:

snowbird, Apr 7, 2008 IP
    Dondon2d likes this.
  20. Dondon2d

Dondon2d Peon

Best Answers:
    We all make those kinds of mistakes. I'm just wondering why he/she saw this thread when it was already buried. Search results, maybe? :D

Dondon2d, Apr 7, 2008 IP