1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What do you charge?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by leftwheel, Aug 21, 2014.

1. SCookAAM

SCookAAM Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think John has been the only one besides me to touch on this:

Content writing blows ape.

Copywriting is where the money is. Why? Simple - copywriting is writing that is going to be used to make your client money. It's not subjective. It has a definite and measurable results - at least if they actually use your writing :)

if you want to actually pay your bills with your writing - move from content to copy, at the very least, write more website pages, emails and whitepapers if you aren't comfortable with direct response.

SCookAAM, Oct 20, 2014 IP
  2. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I’ll have to respectfully and partly disagree with this. If you ask me, copywriting IS subjective. Here’s why -
    1st) If you’re talking about it in a general sense with various other domains that fall into writing (like technical writing, ebook writing, blog writing etc.), then it’s relatively NOT subjective. There’s a certain tangibility needed when you are measuring the conversion results of your sales copy. Here you’ve to be very specific while defining the product/service in question and its intended target audience. It’s all or mostly about making sales which has to have measurable calculations and results.
    2nd) However, there’s another perspective. By the broadest definition, copywriting is sales writing and almost every pitch would fit this description. But the point to consider here is that every product out there being promoted is not the same and so exactly is the case with each one’s target audience. Heck, the market trends today change rapidly like anything and if a product has to survive and compete in its industry, it has to undergo modifications constantly. With every new version being launched, the sales copy crafted to market that product has to be at least revised and updated even if it’s not be changed completely. This is just the case with one commodity. Imagine the humongous number of wildly different scenarios we shall come across when every product/service employing copywriting as an essential tool is its promotion strategy is spoken of! You can’t apply some rigid or standardized set of copwriting rules to all sales copies being produced. Obviously, copywriting i.e. the way you write a copy for each case will differ substantially. So, it is subjective.

(No offense, Scott. Please point out if anything's incorrect or amiss.)

Content Maestro, Oct 21, 2014 IP
  3. CobaltBlue87

CobaltBlue87 Member

Best Answers:
    Probably should depend on the type of article and the requirements, but everyone seems to charge per word. In a good world, I would charge $4 for 400 words. In today's word, I make .005 per word. Sad, but true. Trying to improve, but having difficulties getting established, so to speak :p

CobaltBlue87, Oct 25, 2014 IP
  4. alinasandor

alinasandor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I charge $30 to $200 per article or copy piece, depending on the amount of research and length.

alinasandor, Oct 25, 2014 IP
  5. GodsOwnWriter

GodsOwnWriter Active Member

Best Answers:
    Its only been four months since I am into copy-writing, before this I was only writing for blogs and casual seo articles. As I am not an expert in copy-writing, I charge $3 for 100 Words for sales pages and web content and give the client, the freedom to cancel payment for any work that he does not like or approve.

GodsOwnWriter, Oct 29, 2014 IP
  6. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There's some risk involved with this approach if I may say so. The client can reject your work under any seemingly just pretext and use it elsewhere without your knowledge. When you ask the client to cancel payment in such a case, make it fully clear that you solely and exclusively own the rights to that rejected content. If the client is a devious person, he will attempt such trickery but you can shoot a DCMA at them. Not saying you will come across such persons every time but it's always wise to employ this as a tactical precaution. Then you may try selling the content elsewhere since what one rejects will not necessarily be rejected by others. Quality, after all, is a very subjective issue.

Content Maestro, Nov 2, 2014 IP
    Emma Pollard and GodsOwnWriter like this.
  7. Alex Toll

Alex Toll Active Member

Best Answers:
    Depending on the content and your quality. I'd say that a 700-800 word article, written on a basic/a bit advanced marketing topic, by a native speaker should be around 6-7 cents per word. So roughly - 50 bucks per article (with useful links, pictures, keywords, description, backed by data - a meety piece of writing full of useful info). That seems to be a good average.

Alex Toll, Nov 7, 2014 IP
  8. Otto Baynes

Otto Baynes Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Getting paid properly as a writer requires making pitches and networking for gigs and eventually selling your own work on your own terms. Coming to places like this or mills or whatever and looking for offers that are already out there will get you lowballed 90% of the time.

Oh, and --

"Content writing blows ape."

What a shock that a guy marketing a copywriting book in his sig would say something like this :)

Content writing only blows if the whole extent of your writing is selling to internet marketers and the get-rich-quickers on sites like this and Warrior Forum. If you want to work in journalism, write a book, do anything as an actual honest-to-god writer, you need the kind of skill and experience that's used in writing quality content. Copywriting is an entirely different hyper-sales-focused world. It can pay really well, but you better love it because you're not jumping from that to anything else, and if you signed your real name to some scummy pitches along the way your credibility is shot. You can make good money content writing if you're capable of producing high-quality, genuinely informative content and not limiting yourself to working with internet hucksters.

Otto Baynes, Nov 8, 2014 IP
  9. deltamas

deltamas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I charge $0.5/100 words normally, but sometimes there are clients who kindly gave me more than I expected

deltamas, Apr 26, 2015 IP
  10. fptlamdong

fptlamdong Member

Best Answers:
    Additionally, you will be recommended to others and the kick-sass product that you create is now a permanent part of your portfolio which will help you reel in even better clients.

fptlamdong, May 3, 2015 IP
  11. Burke Ferguson

Burke Ferguson Peon

Best Answers:
    My rate is also $0.02 - $0.04/word. But then it also depends if I have to do any research for the project. And if I do well the cost for the project obviously goes up. I try to charge per project rather than per hour if possible. Hope this helps.

Burke Ferguson, May 21, 2015 IP
  12. ADNattan

ADNattan Active Member

Best Answers:
    All these people charging per the word - I find it bizarre. If you're writing good copy, you're inevitably spending time editing. That means that a) you're removing words to improve the quality, thus reducing your fee; and b) you're not charging for any of the time spent editing your work.

I charge by the project. A blog post in an area I'm familiar with and have existing research on? That'll cost a client less than a sales email in an area that I need to spend time learning about. Even if both of those pieces run to the same word count.

If I was a client and saw someone charging per word, I'd wonder just how much superfluous verbage they'd cram in to try and make an extra pound or two.

ADNattan, May 24, 2015 IP
  13. PatrickReeves

PatrickReeves Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think by looking at the comments, this is an open ended answer.

Ill add my few thoughts on it though.

Alot will depend on the niche you are writing for. I mainly write content and copy for the gambling niche. The going rates are generally lower because you will see a ton of people trying their hand at going after those unheard of commissions. This means the majority of clients you will find are startups with little cash to pay writers. Most fail by the way for this reason and others.

But, if you are lucky enough to get in with affiliates that are doing well, their pay for good copy is much higher. Ive managed to find several clients who Im sure make millions a year and paying me $.04 or more a word is nothing. They need to pay for quality content in order to stay ahead of the other guys since gambling is one of the most competitive markets. They are willing to spend extra because they know its worth it since they make bank so long as they can stay in the rankings.

Now $.04 a word may not sound like much to some of you, but when you factor in the time it takes me to write 500 words, my hourly rate is around $80 per hour. I know gambling and usually dont have to research anything. Ive been in this niche for 15 years, so rarely do I need to do research.

In my example, you can see that there are many factors to determine what you should charge. I dont mind charging $.04 or even as low as $.02 a word since I know I can bang content out on this topic quickly while still keeping the quality in tact. Even at $.02 a word my hourly is still decent. I am only going this low when there is a bulk order with the guarantee of plenty of work though.

When I first started, I took on whatever I could. Id work for a penny per word or lower just to get started. But you find that you dont really want to work for those who pay the low rates not only because its cheap. But because they are usually demanding and expect $100 per hour copy for $5. They usually also dont have long term work.

If you set a higher rate, you wont get as much work, but youll find better quality clients who have longer term work in most cases and will be much nicer to work with. People who can afford to pay you $100 an hour have money, which makes people happy most of the time lol.

Hopefully this wall of text helped some.

PatrickReeves, Aug 5, 2015 IP
    Otto Baynes likes this.
  14. PatrickReeves

PatrickReeves Active Member

Best Answers:
    I feel just the opposite on this. I find that if you pay per hour, people will take their time in researching and writing. Its much easier to spot when someone is stuffing words in for the sake of it. And also, many clients set word counts on articles and copy.

I do see your point, and its valid, but as i mentioned, from a clients POV, I feel it's more obvious when someone stacks their word count than it would be to spot someone taking longer than necessary to write a piece. Just my opinion, it could really go either way I suppose.

PatrickReeves, Aug 5, 2015 IP
  15. Vladislav Vagner

Vladislav Vagner Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I usually charge $3.50 per 100 words for my content. If with images and extra research, then I would charge more.

Vladislav Vagner, Aug 8, 2015 IP
  16. Splash Copywriters

Splash Copywriters Peon

Best Answers:
    Depending on the quality of content that you're turning around, I'd say that's insanely low. My prices vary considerably and depend on a number of factors, such as research time, subject difficulty and urgency.

I think working to a fixed rate is a dangerous game to play.

Splash Copywriters, Sep 1, 2015 IP
  17. Otto Baynes

Otto Baynes Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Exactly. Word count is a more concrete way of measuring the actual amount of work performed, and the client feels they have more of a say in what they're paying. I find that most people I'm working with for the first time won't even consider doing billable hours. The prevalence of mills has also kind of "trained" people to expect a per-word rate from a freelancer.

Personally I build the time for editing into the per-word rate that I quote. I also make sure we have a contract or letter of agreement up front spelling out exactly how many revisions can be requested (usually 1-2) and how short of a deadline they can ask for. Once you've done some work for a client and they see you're not trying to screw them by stuffing in superfluous text, there's no issue whatsoever with a per-word rate.

Also exactly :). I've worked my way up to better pay at this point, but I still have a couple of OG clients from when I started out that I continue to work for at 2.5 or 3 cents per word. The articles are easy and generally require no or minimal revisions. Even $15/hr is better than the $0/hr I would have made with nothing else to do that particular day :)

Otto Baynes, Sep 14, 2015 IP