1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What do the Ranks mean?

Discussion in 'Keyword Tracker' started by Mia, Nov 15, 2004.

In relation to the keyword tracker, what exactly do the ranks mean? I have a 35 rank for one site and a 3+4 for another.. What is 3+4 (besides 7 :) )?

Thanx..

Mia, Nov 15, 2004 IP
  2. Dirkjan

Dirkjan The Dutch SEO Guy

Best Answers:
    3+4 means you are probably on the third AND fourth place in Google. I am using the dutch version but I bet you mean with ranks the place where you can be found in Google.

Dirkjan, Nov 15, 2004 IP
  3. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Thank you. That is kinda what I thought.. I am just trying to understand how the Keyword Tracking Tool is useful. What exactly do I do with this information? So I have a site that is in the 3 and 4 posistion based on the keywords and site name. So how does that help me? It is interesting, but I am not sure how to apply this information. Any help is appreciated.

Mia, Nov 15, 2004 IP
  4. payoutwindow

payoutwindow Peon

Best Answers:
    If you don't care about 3+4 or if you are 100+101 then the tool is not for you .. but if you want stay there and hopefully move up to number 1 the the tool is for you. Its just an easy way to monitor your rank while you are trying to push for the number 1 spot.

payoutwindow, Nov 15, 2004 IP
  5. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I gotcha.. Thanx again!

Mia, Nov 15, 2004 IP
  6. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    I saw this and went....what???

So I went to find what you are likely to be 3+4 at ....and I didn't find you!!

Then I saw eshox and searched on that and found this forum at 3

But still not your site......so what is your keyword phrase?

BTW In looking at the post here I went and had a look at the sites - it appeared to me to be similar to OScommerce...which is free.

Anyways I looked down the search page for Google and eshox where it mentioned OSX and I found this

": The last time I checked, eShox is a blatant rip-off of the open source osCommerce project, and the developers have broken the law by violating the terms of osCommerce's GPL license. Add to this the fact that osCommerce is free, has hundreds of add-on modules, and has a much more vibrant community, and the choice becomes crystal clear. (11/10/2004, Version: 3.7.5r31)"

Interesting...
    :confused:

Foxy, Nov 16, 2004 IP
  7. payoutwindow

payoutwindow Peon

Best Answers:
    if you search fot "durban real estate" in G ... you will find this site w*w.real-estate-south-africa.com in 41 & 42 ... or 41+42 as the tracker would show it.

The above site is not mine .. but rather future competition which I plan to have for breakfast once I have my site up and running :D :D

payoutwindow, Nov 16, 2004 IP
  8. mudnik

mudnik Peon

Best Answers:
    Besides monitoring your own sites, you can always monitor your competitors.

mudnik, Nov 16, 2004 IP
  9. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Wrong site man... http://www.mccoypottery.com and all associated sites, ie., http://auction.mccoypottery.com, etc.. and please do not tell me that my auction site is a rip off of eBay
    :)

On the eShox front, did you copy/paste your comments from http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/12823 or was that your post too? There is no violation of GPL. The difference between the two products is that fact that anyone, absolutlely anyone can install eShox in about 15 minutes. OSCommerce has a much higher learning curve. There are thousands of products out there like this, ie., where one is OpenSource and FREE, and the other is commercial, yet does not require the learning curve.

As to what can be done with either, just about anything. Customization requires a bit higher learning curve, but is not impossible and is something we do.

Heck, BSD is free, but I tend to pay for OSX, similar, but much lower learning curve and a pretty GUI.

Anyway, I am not the one who should have legal issues directed at. If you have a beef, deal with the company directly. I simply sell it, support it and customize it. So far it works pretty well :)

Lastly, I suppose I could say that vBulletin is a complete and utter rip off of phpBB which is FREE, and vBulletin costs money.. But, I think I already made my point.

Peace

Mia, Nov 16, 2004 IP
  10. Foxy

Best Answers:
    Chill out Man

I neither commented on your site nor did I make any aspersions that you were at fault with either. I merely listed the statement about eshox and posted "interesting".

However, seeing you have raised the issue, and I have not investigated further, if eshox has used the oscommerce code, and not given them credit for the code used, then, whoever set up eshox would be in violation of the TOB, and, if you customize it, probably you would be too, and, if I were you, I would take legal opinion as to whether or not I would be implicated if, and I say if, someone was to instigate legal proceedings on the issue.

If you feel so inclined, for this piece of advice, donate some money to Shawn to the keeping of these tools this site free of charge :)

Foxy, Nov 16, 2004 IP
  11. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Hey, I'm fine.. But you made a claim, so be prepared to back it up. It's only fair that if you are going to make a statement not founded in fact that you site a source, or back up your claim. You did not express an opinion. You made a statement that eShox is doing something illegal.

To ad insult to injury, you now make the assertion that any modifications we make may be illegal as well.

You really need to take a better look at what GPL and licensing is before you make these claims.

1. eShox was likely created at the time that OSCommerce was still "freely" available, and there was no GPL.

2. Even under GPL, so long as eShox provides the source, (which they do) freely with any modifications, they are fine.

There is only one file that eShox does not provide freely. That is the secure checkout page as this is where they have coded the licensing code. Anyway, they do not have to provide this freely, even under GPL, as all they had to do was re-write it. It's just PHP, it's not like some line of code that is somehow tied to another set of code, program or OS.

Now please explain how you arrived at the assertion that eShox is illegal?

I realize you said "if eshox has used the oscommerce code", but the "if" does not matter... Again, they have provided the source! That is about all that is needed.

And no man... Does not matter if you "customize it" (the code), so long as you provide the source with all your modifications.

You are asking me to take a legal opinion. Are you a lawyer? Look, I am not trying to be an arse here. But if you are an attorney, I would consult with another attorney who has dealt with GPL before making such claims, or giving out such ill advice.

No hard feelings.

Mia, Nov 16, 2004 IP
  12. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds like a couple of people need to take a chill pill.

points made - misunderstandings from both sides, some of us more educated.

The one who argues after this just will make a fool of themselves.

debunked, Nov 16, 2004 IP
  13. Foxy

Best Answers:
    Absolutely - I did not argue f... all - jeez today is full of bs

I think I have just about had enough - until tomorrow :)

Foxy, Nov 16, 2004 IP