1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What do people want in Content Management Systems?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by whirlybird20, Sep 1, 2008.

1. jenmerie

jenmerie Peon

Best Answers:
    I want to be able to schedule posts, edit them easily, find them easily, and update them wherever there's a computer. Most cms systems have these already though..

jenmerie, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  2. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I just want it easy to use.

Whether its joomla or mambo, all this stuff like sections, categories and mambots....... It can really get confusing.

I would like something that has direct integration with some of the popular forums, like smf. Instead, you have to use a bridge.

Lets just keep it powerful, flexible and easy to use. Is that so hard?

Lets take joomla mambo for example. I just want to create sections and post articles to it, but I have to create sections and categories and then post the articles. Why cant I just use sections, why do I "have" to use categories? When a cms "makes" you use it a certain way, its not very flexible.

The joomla / mambo WYSIWYG editor is lame. I want a way to insert videos from youtube, which can only be done in HTML mode. Have you every seen the code for a page long article?

What do I want in a CMS?

Easy to use

Direct integration with other open source popular software (like smf, gallery2 and phpbb).

~kev~, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  3. mercy571

mercy571 Peon

Best Answers:
    seo, light and more fast to browse..

mercy571, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  4. ram18y

ram18y Peon

Best Answers:
    ram18y, Sep 3, 2008 IP
  5. blueparukia

blueparukia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Right, I am also developing a CMS, and these here are a few features I have developed, and what most people I have spoken too want:

1. Articles (well, duh)
    2. Custom Pages, divided into three sections - a PHP header (optional, advanced users only), the actual page content, an a stylsheet for the page (optional).
    3. A WYSIWYG editor.
    4. An advance module/addon system, which allows you to download and install modules, themes, patches and upgrades automatically from within the ACP. Code hooks are also littered throughout the code, allowing people to extend upon the functionality of the CMS without code modifications.
    5. Class based database system, making it easier to add new database systems, all callable in PHP like this:
    $db->insert('table',$columns,$values)
    Code (markup):
    At the moment I have it working across MySQL and PgSQL, and developing an XML structure for a flat file db.
    6. Designed to be very easy to code extensions for.
    7. Takes advantage of hypes like "Web 2.0" - so lots of Ajax - the entire ACP and frontend is Ajax based, with PHP fallbacks of course.
    8. Freaking good code. Every single byte output by the CMS is Valid xHTML 1.0 Strict, including the WYSIWYG and each ACP page.
    9. XML templates - no PHP. Titles and meta tags are automatically found in a pure HTML template and added. You can add details by XML tags, such as

<a href="<setting:siteurl>/page1.htm">Page 1</a>
    [code]
    10. "SEO". Full meta tag editor for every page and article, as well as site wide meta tags. A robots.txt editor, SEF URLs (in the ACP too - for readability).
    11. Feeds. RSS and Atom Feed generators. As well as a generator for my very well design site2site feed, which is secret at the moment, and I don't wanna share.
    12. Speed. Very important on a site. Because my templates have to be converted from XHTML to PHP, then process the PHP to output HTML, it could cost majorly on large webbsites. For this reason, the convert operation is only done when a template has been changed. Likewise, the menus (dropdowns for subcategories) can use a lot of CPU due to nested while statements, so they are stored as plain HTML files  and only altered when the menu is.
    13. Easy to navigate, the default themes and ACP are very easy to find your way around.
    14. Comments.
    15. Attachments and avatars. Includes Gravatar integration.
    16. Integration with forum softwares (MyBB, SMF and vBulletin) and conversion from Wordpress.
    17. Very advaced users and groups setup.
    18. Lots more.

Now I feel like giving a screenshot :confused:.

Now, what I think makes my CMS so bloody good is: innovation, and building on existing hypes like Web 2.0 - so it makes people want it. It incorporates things I want, things people want and things people have never seen before.

Like you, I only want to sell this for $15-$25. But I want a lot of people to buy it, which is why I did forum integration, wordpress conversion, Social Networking addons, making it suitable for blogs, wikis and large sites and easy to skin for. You need to hit the nail on the head in terms of what people want (which is why you should be asking questions), and your own unique blend of ideas. No one wants to see another standard CMS...there are too many out there.

And now I just really want to post a screenshot, so yeah...don't steal my design.

[URL="http://dredgy.com/misc/dredgyscreen.jpg"]Dredgy Screenshot (User Page)[/URL]

I hope I managed to cover this shameless advertising as advice quite well...
    Code (markup):

blueparukia, Sep 3, 2008 IP
  6. falguni1

falguni1 Peon

Best Answers:
    features like categories, tags, comments, gravatars, image uploading in post, pages, gallery, related post etc.

falguni1, Sep 3, 2008 IP
  7. delia

delia Peon

Best Answers:
    I ended up doing my own after sloggin thru the admins of several well-known ones. My small customers generally freak out if they have to think in order to maintain their site.

Simplicity and easy use, and xhtml-based templates. WYSIWYG editor that works in most browsers - check out XINHA!

delia, Sep 4, 2008 IP
  8. whirlybird20

whirlybird20 Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all of your comments. I will definitely take all of these into consideration. I also find it very annoying in joomla that you have to make sections and categories, etc. just to make an article. I also thing that they should seperate articles from pages.

I will also look at making it easy to add a youtube video, and after launch will be listening to all of your comments and acting on them providing updates as often as possible bringing you the best.

Still working on some of the design, but shouldn't be too long now.

whirlybird20, Sep 8, 2008 IP