What did you hope to gain by creating a directory?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by jeeplaw, May 8, 2006.

Just wanted to ping the general thoughts of why some of you wanted to start a directory. Personally, for me, my directory was a great extension of a site I already owned. I just decided to value add onto it by creating a directory as well.

Original site is www.dietdiscussions.com , the new directory (my first) is www.dietdirectory.org

jeeplaw, May 8, 2006 IP
  2. ajscottsr

ajscottsr Peon

Best Answers:
    Niche directories are still very much a good tool on the internet, particularly for unserved or underserved niches.

I have a difficult time understanding why people setup broad directories. Its so competitive and over done.

ajscottsr, May 8, 2006 IP
  3. spyrit

spyrit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well i had a site a whyle ago, and submitted it to some directorys, and some of them rejected my link...then i said i will make my own, and i did :) And now i like it...my little baby :)

spyrit, May 8, 2006 IP
  4. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Just to have a free webdirectory and to have the posibility to advertise my services and my other sites .
    Regards .

w3bmaster, May 8, 2006 IP
  5. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No good reason to start a directory, so I purchased an existing one.

One positive aspect is getting to preview lots of the new sites that are coming online.

Rod, May 8, 2006 IP
  6. uca

uca Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So i could find some other directories to submit to without having to look for them! :)

And also, to create my own online list of links that were my favourites.

That's why I chose to set up a directory that is a niche free non reciprocal SEO directory

uca, May 8, 2006 IP
  7. madhu

madhu Banned

Best Answers:
    Well, for me, I am planning to have huge general directory, having quality backlinks coming from PR7+ directories and sites. This will give me good PR. Than I'll invite webmaster to submit their link in my dir just for $2 - $5.

Let's say I have invested $1000 in having high Pr directory (say PR7) and I offer $2 for one link. Than at the moment I got just 500 links in my directory it equals costing. After that any addition in dir will bring money to me.

Secondly, I really want to have quality directory and link in the directory means something to search engines.

madhu, May 8, 2006 IP
  8. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh my domains were lying idle so i just thought why not let them grow and develop of their own :). Well dammit i still got 2 more domains doing nothing at all :(.

paidhosting, May 8, 2006 IP
  9. spyrit

spyrit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i too have like 4-5 .be domains that just sit there and wait for me to have time to do something about them..

spyrit, May 9, 2006 IP
  10. deluxdon

deluxdon Catch Me If You Can...!!!™ Staff

Best Answers:
    Use those domains and make something different.

;)

deluxdon, May 9, 2006 IP
  11. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    You are absolutely correct, broad directories have absolutely no use. All you are doing with a broad directory is competing with the likes of yahoo, dmoz et al. Broad directories are slowly being classified as "link farms" and you will slowly see them losing their value both in serps and in a consumer perspective. Personally if I want to do a broad search I simply go to dmoz or yahoo. The credibility of home made broad directories is just not there.

There are many ... and I mean MANY ... underserved niches that are dying for specific market centric directories. In some of these niches, you can find thousands of potential listers ... whom amazingly enough WILL pay for their inclusion because if they don't they will feel like they are missing out, especially if their competitors are listed and they are not.

Niche directories also act as a one stop hub for consumers. If I am looking for a hockey stick manufacturer, the last thing I want to see in that directory is a flower shop. It just doesn't make sense does it? How ever although I may be looking for hockey sticks I may stumple into a manufacturer of hockey skates, which although I may not be looking for skates, I click on their site and see they have a sale on skates and buy some.

Chances are that if the manufacturer of the skates are savvy enough to ask, "Oh how did you hear about us?" or the consumer says "I was looking on www.hockeydirectory.com and found that you ...." - the manufacturer will start thinking about including a listining in their marketing mix next year or when the listing expires. Now imagine if the manufacturer gets 3 or 4 comments that they found them on hockeydirectory.com - you will get the manufacturers business for years to come. They will see significant value and also move up to a sponsored or premium listing.

Another thing to consider is that many manufacturers do not have their own sites. I currently had a manufacturer phone me and tell me: "WOW, you guys are amazing, I got 3 sales from the internet and I don't even have a site!" How did I do that? Well its easy, my directory doesn't require you to have a site to link to. You can simply enter your contact info and you will be listed! Pretty neat huh?

Now watch this... in my niche MANY manufacturers do not have an online presence BUT are very well know. So when someone goes into the SEs and types their name in ... guess who pops up? Their listing on my directory. See where I am going with this? In one situation, I got a call from a manufacturer who basically got convinced that they should be online and asked me to develop their site. I passed the lead off to a web designer and got a commission for it. If you dig deep enough you will also see that some of the more advanced manufacturers also have affiliate programs, so guess what? I make banners for them and fire them up on my site and get commissions on sales!

So for those putting out broad reach directories, can you accomplish this on the broad directories - probably, but not as effectively as market centric directories. Think out of the box, get creative and you will prosper!

Good luck everyone!
    Frank

LaCabra, May 9, 2006 IP
    EveryQuery likes this.
  12. spyrit

spyrit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i would but really don't have time right now :( ..I hope that sometimes in the near future i'll use them..

spyrit, May 9, 2006 IP
  13. spyrit

spyrit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    oh, and syles....took a look at your site: leather companies...looking really good. I think the next thing i'll try will be a niche directory. Btw, i have a question for you. I see you have 93.390 links..all of them have been submitted by somebody there, or did you list them yourself?

spyrit, May 9, 2006 IP
  14. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    spyrit ... they are listing, which is a little different than links but a little mix of user and myself submitting. ;)

LaCabra, May 9, 2006 IP
  15. spyrit

spyrit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    mmm..ok, i get it :)

spyrit, May 9, 2006 IP
  16. jeeplaw

jeeplaw Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Did anyone go in with the intention of purely making money off their directory(ies)?

jeeplaw, May 12, 2006 IP
  17. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    Definitely jeeplaw. I would think most of us did, unless you're loaded and don't need the money ;)

LaCabra, May 12, 2006 IP
  18. spyrit

spyrit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    aaaa....true ;)

spyrit, May 12, 2006 IP
  19. uca

uca Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Many thought of making some money, a few thought of becoming rich.

I let you guess which ones are not disappointed now...

uca, May 12, 2006 IP
  20. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Hehe i am richer by like 100 bucks (thats like 100 bucks pay over a time span of 365 days which means like less than 1 buck per day :))

paidhosting, May 12, 2006 IP