1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What could I do with this site?

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Greenthorn, Jul 12, 2006.

This site belongs to a friend that is considering just closing this site down.

http://www.acopsview.net

He doesn't many any money with either adsense or affiliate ads.

The forum is basically dead.

Get's about 250-300 uniques a month.

The site also has a directory of all police and sheriff's in the state of Ohio. All html pages, no scripts.

I told him I'd ask here if anyone had any ideas on how to improve the site to generate some money, or maybe offer it up for sale.

Any ideas?

Greenthorn, Jul 12, 2006 IP
  2. runnerunner

runnerunner Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's got a pr 3, so you can probably sell it for maybe a quick $XXX that sounds like it would be your best bet unless you wanted to put a lot of work into it

runnerunner, Jul 12, 2006 IP
  3. Lumines

Lumines Peon

Best Answers:
    How muchwould you sell it for?

Lumines, Jul 12, 2006 IP
  4. Greenthorn

Greenthorn Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm not opposed to putting some work into it. I talked to him when he was adding all the police departments that he should do it in php/mysql, but he only knows html.

I would rather mold it into something to generate some income, than sell it, but I honestly don't know what direction to even head in with a site like this. The traffic from search engines is mostly people looking for a certain police department that is listed in the directory.

My friend is a cop, which is why he started the site in the first place. He's had two different forums, but neither one really took off. He does no marketing for it and hasn't updated it in quite a while.

Greenthorn, Jul 12, 2006 IP
  5. infonote

infonote Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would modify the site to make it dynamic, then promote it. I am sure some people require info on police departments.

infonote, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  6. Correctus

Correctus Straight Edge

Best Answers:
    I'll buy the site, check your PM

IT

Correctus, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  7. Absolutus

Absolutus Peon

Best Answers:
    Absolutus, Jul 16, 2006 IP
  8. factchecker

factchecker Peon

Best Answers:
    This site has potential. I think it would be worth paying someone to implement a Content Management System (CMS)on your site and import all the information and videos you have. Then, whenever you get a new video or want to display a new article, you can do it easily through a control panel. Your Adsense can be integrated into a good CMS and it will be fit neatly into the design. I'm sure there are people on the forum that can do this for you. The only drawback I see is it might cost you more to implement the CMS than you will be making off of AdSense. But, if you want to maintain the site, I would consider the above info. Good Luck.

factchecker, Jul 17, 2006 IP
  9. diogenes

diogenes Peon

Best Answers:
    My reaction to the site - I couldn't figure out where it was going. After looking at it for a while it seemed it was going all over the place. I wouldn't do so much. Figure out what the essence of the site is, and then make that simplier and cleaner to 'get'. Doing too much can be less effective than doing too little.

This is obviously a site that could use efforts at driving traffic to the site. I can't imagine folks plunking keywords into a search engine looking for a site like this. At the same time, we all know that cop stories, chase scenes etc. have a viewership. Look at all series on T.V. Look at the video's that run and rerun on some of the cable channels. I doubt the initial designer had that in mind, but you can build off of that attraction. Attract folks to the site and then entice them to visit the parts of the site that are really your intention. If that's too divergent, then think of another strategy.

What was the mission behind this site? Start there. Then see if you can build traffic using tactics like I just suggested. And clean a lot of the rest off the first page (and maybe off the site). Put it somewhere that can be found by an index or get rid of it all together. If any of the non 'on-mission offerings' require ongoing support - get rid of them. Things like contact information? maybe you keep it and index it someplace but not so dramatically that you detract from the central pieces your trying to get people to see and respond to.

I don't think I would close it down just yet. A lot of work has gone into it.

diogenes, Jul 17, 2006 IP
  10. Greenthorn

Greenthorn Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all your replies. I know right now that the main page is extremely "busy." There are way to many non-relevant ads on the right column as well.

The video clips do draw some traffic. I agree that more videos would be good. People do like to watch those police chases and crashes.

I did think of using some rss feeds to add content pertaining to law enforcement.

I have worked some in the past with PostNuke. I'll take a look at it again and see if I think it will work here.

I would hate to see him close the site down. It was the first site he built nearly four years ago. He just doesn't have time anymore to work on it, and he's lost his motivation for it. I would redo it, just have to find the time.

Greenthorn, Jul 18, 2006 IP
  11. Sheetal Dadhwal

Sheetal Dadhwal Peon

Best Answers:
    you are absolutely right when u say that the site needs lots of work. the first thing i suggest is work on the color theme of the website. it uses too many color options and none which can be related to the site as its standard. second, the information added in the homepage is in excess which leads to extensive scrolling.

Sheetal Dadhwal, Jul 24, 2006 IP
  12. Greenthorn

Greenthorn Guest

Best Answers:
    Well, the site will be going up for sale. Just tried to list it but I haven't reached 25 posts so I can't just yet, but I will work on it - quality posting, that is.

Greenthorn, Aug 3, 2006 IP