1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What CMS should I use???

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Tommo, Sep 4, 2005.

Just starting a new Project and I really want to get into using CMS and I think this project would be ideal.

The site will have maybe 4 catagories, lot's of news and unique articles. I'll probably be adding a forum at some point and I'd like to be able to give it a nice logo. I'll need to be able to add Adsense and move it around a bit ....

I tried mambo on a prvious site but gave up after a while:mad: and went back to Dreamweaver

So what should i look at??

Tommo, Sep 4, 2005 IP
  2. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Will.Spencer, Sep 4, 2005 IP
    mcfox likes this.
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I didn't get on with Plone too well when I tested it - which is why it's always good to have other opinions and a site like Open Source CMS which lets you try them all out!

I personally use Mambo which has just morphed into Joomla (long story) but you'll find other people here passionately promoting Drupal.

Because your requirements are fairly standard any of these systems "should" do it out of the box so it'll be a matter of picking which one feels the most intuitive for you.

Make sure the one you chooses makes it easy to produce RSS feeds for your users!

Sarah

sarahk, Sep 4, 2005 IP
  4. Tommo

Tommo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the comments, I spent a few hours looking around various sites and for the moment I've gone with e107
    The admin panel looks much more intuitive to mambo

Tommo, Sep 4, 2005 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'm pleased to see that e107 is still going well. It's was on my shortlist too. My major concern was the speed that the official homepage loads even when on uber-broadband. Other e107 sites seemed fast, however.

sarahk, Sep 4, 2005 IP
  6. programmer

programmer Guest

Best Answers:
    programmer, Sep 4, 2005 IP
  7. flyingkiwi

flyingkiwi Peon

Best Answers:
    i have a company called far design who have just developed a cms for me (though i have no technical skills) have to say though its been really cheap adn worked well for me so far you can see the site i have done with them at:
    www.algarverentalapartments.com

i look after all design content through the cms but we still have some seo teething issues to sort!

flyingkiwi, Sep 4, 2005 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  8. SaN-DeeP

SaN-DeeP Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Check evoarticles (its an article management, with many unique portal features)

SaN-DeeP, Sep 5, 2005 IP
  9. iskandar

iskandar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    he ..he .. i've tried dreamweaver and mambo. i think i'll give up on dreamweaver and go for mambo.

yes, it's hard to learn but easy to use ( just ike any other open source softwares). i am struggling with it but IMHO it is a super thing

iskandar, Sep 5, 2005 IP
  10. medusa

medusa Peon

Best Answers:
    Mambo, now renamed Joomla is the best content management solution around, IMHO.
    It is available form http://www.joomla.org.

Joomla 1.0.0 (after being renamed) will be released sometime in September 2005. I suggest that you wait for that to be released before going on to install it afresh...

I also use Mambo is my site at http://mambo.medspan.info which is focused on Mambo itself! I provide templates and modules for the Mambo community and also make custom modules as per specifications for individual users.

medusa, Sep 5, 2005 IP
  11. aqi32

aqi32 Active Member

Best Answers:
    i found wordpress to suit my needs on a site very well, but i was looking for sheer simplicity of use for the client, and that's what wordpress is, dead easy to use and to customise both the layout of content and the layout of the site itself as it runs off templates.

I've not tried mambo so that maybe just as easy but from what i read it's a little more complicated

aqi32, Sep 7, 2005 IP
  12. LordGod

LordGod Peon

Best Answers:
    Try Joomla! ;)

LordGod, Sep 7, 2005 IP
  13. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Peon

Best Answers:
    Plone is quite different form other common open-source CMS. Specifically it is different from those which is built on/for PHP/MySQL/Appache.

So you have to check if the places you host satisfy the installation requirements of Plone.

Wai_Wai, Sep 19, 2005 IP
  14. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Peon

Best Answers:
    A few questions I would like to ask:
    - is your website going to be big?
    - what features will you have in your website (eg any polls/surveys, voting system, built-in search, subscription functions)?
    - what are your criteria of choosing a CMS (eg ease of use VS feature-rich? All-in-one VS simple/lite?)

By the way, if you wish to try an easy CMS. How about CMS made simple (the review is here)? It is rated high in http://www.opensourcecms.com/

Wai_Wai, Sep 19, 2005 IP
  15. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Peon

Best Answers:
    The poster will not like it since it specifically states it doesn't like Mambo.
    Joomla is a spilt-up version of Mambo.
    Now Joomla is just the same as Mambo.
    In the future, thy will be different.

Wai_Wai, Sep 19, 2005 IP
  16. admans

admans Peon

Best Answers:
    I would recommend Joomla aka Mambo. I feel it would perfectly suit your Project requirements as its got unique feature of RSS feeds in your CMS Site.

admans, Sep 21, 2005 IP
  17. GADOOD

GADOOD Peon

Best Answers:
    I find Wordpress with the 1-click installation from BlueHost very efficient.

Pete

GADOOD, Sep 21, 2005 IP
  18. Superior

Superior Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    in my view Mamboo is best CMS.

Superior, Sep 21, 2005 IP
  19. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry, but I wonder why poeple keep recommending Mambo/Joomla (and some even without explanation).
    The questioner has stated he tried mambo but gave up after a while.
    At least if you wish to persuade the person into re-using Mambo/Joomla. You need to give some explanations.
    Not intend to offend, but don't these sorts of answers help the person any?

PS: Anyway, don't make me wrong that I hate mambo/Joomla. The point I would like to raise is it is no good to recommend Mambo/Joomla since the question says "no" to them.

Wai_Wai, Sep 22, 2005 IP
  20. Abilnet

Abilnet Peon

Best Answers:
    There's some wider survey done about the topic by OpenSourceCMS. Some interesting results has been collected here:
    http://drupal.org/node/31474

Abilnet, Sep 22, 2005 IP