1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What character traits should the ideal politician have?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by smile633, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Traditione

Traditione Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey, I love arguing asinine definitions in an attempt to evade the issue...

A politician is supposed to be at the whim of the public; yes, their slave.

No politician should be salaried, only expenses to get their job done paid by our taxes.

What we pay must be embarrassingly transparent and documented.

There are no "private" lives of politicians.

They are our employees/servants who must accept their position with humble servitude as they are nothing but a representation of the aggregate Will. Anyone who understands the weight on their shoulders in undertaking this position of public office must do so with humble admission of desiring nothing but to serve. It's self-imposed and happy slavery, optimally.

Traditione, Oct 10, 2009 IP
  2. willybfriendly

willybfriendly Peon

Best Answers:
    You get what you pay for...

willybfriendly, Oct 10, 2009 IP
  3. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sadly, we usually don't... but the lobbyists do. "Highest bidder" and all that.

robjones, Oct 10, 2009 IP
  4. willybfriendly

willybfriendly Peon

Best Answers:
    While I agree, my point was that if we pay nothing for our "servants" that is exactly what we will get out of them.

Having served in an elected position (business, not politics) I know full well that the higher up the ladder you go, the more of your ass shows. I also know that one's perspective changes dramatically with height. It is easy enough to criticize from the bottom rung, since what one sees is pretty much limited to the assh--e in front of you. From the top rung the view can be as frightening as it is awe inspiring.

Those that have not been there have not a clue...

willybfriendly, Oct 10, 2009 IP
  5. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Agreed. People who truly wish to serve do so selflessly. They do so without need for recognition, and without want.

All you need do is serve on term in congress to be set for life. That's ridiculous. Its an incentive to obtain wealth and power, not an incentive to serve.

Mia, Oct 11, 2009 IP
  6. willybfriendly

willybfriendly Peon

Best Answers:
    Where does this tidbit of wisdom come from?

A Representative is paid $174k/yr. Yes, that is a pretty good salary, but hardly makes one set for life.

A single term is 2 years.

As members of the FERS retirement system, they aren't vested until they have 5 years in.

Once vested, they can retire as early as age 50 if they have 20 years of service - or 10 terms as a Representative, 4 as a Senator.

(NOTE: CSRS is the old retirement system, whcih changed in 1984.)

Once again, Mia, your are regurgitating ridiculous assertions that simply are not based on fact. You really need to quit following the Piper and start thinking for yourself...

willybfriendly, Oct 11, 2009 IP
  7. prophet666

prophet666 Peon

Best Answers:
    politician should not be corrupt,most bad qualities emerge from corruption.

prophet666, Oct 15, 2009 IP
  8. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Seems most are not corrupt, but corruptible. Any job with guaranteed security and an instant "set for life" pension kinda does that.

All you need do is serve one term. That's it, that's all... Instant lifetime pension! Of course no one goes into this to serve just one term. Once they realize how much more can be made, corruption takes hold.

Term limits and an elimination to all these perks, like free health care, travel, living expenses, and crazy pensions would certainly be a start in terms of curbing the corruption.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” Ben Franklin

Right now we are at dependence on our way into bondage.

Mia, Oct 15, 2009 IP
  9. willybfriendly

willybfriendly Peon

Best Answers:
    There you go again, spouting nonsense.

Where do you find anything to support the idea that one term provides a "lifetime pension".

While we're at it - how much does that pension pay?

At what age does it begin?

This is, quite frankly, just more of the same old anti-government drivel that has no factual basis.

You really don't have to be a lemming, Mia.

willybfriendly, Oct 15, 2009 IP
  10. smile633

smile633 Peon

Best Answers:
    Would you that kind of job wihout being paid? - I don't think I would! Nevertheless somehow the corruption has to stop! Any ideas how? ... apart from the person being a person of integrity?

smile633, Oct 21, 2009 IP