1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What can the atheists offer the rest of the world???

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by proteindude, Oct 5, 2007.

1. omgitsfletch

omgitsfletch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1. Explain to me how it is a religious ornament? Just because someone follows something because its inline with their religious beliefs, does not in and of itself, make that ideal a religious ideal. Would you argue that they should be allowed to wear peace rings too because they believe killing is against their religion?

I'd say no: if the school bans all jewelry but religious jewelry, how is abstinence a religious belief? More importantly, how is an abstinence ring representative of and a significant part of the religion's culture?

In any case, this took place in Britain, and I'm not familiar with their laws and rights. I also don't know whether this was a private school or a public school, and what specifically the school rule stated. These would all play a factor in the legality of the rule.

2. Please explain to me why she should be allowed to wear said item, if her company forbids it?

Again, this is Britain so I can't comment for sure on the circumstances, but in America, private institutions can make pretty much any rules they want as long as they don't discriminate against the protected classes (religion, race, disability, a few other ones). So if this was an American company and they enforced this rule equally on all religious followers, it would almost certainly stand. So I suppose my question is, given this information...what's wrong here?

EDIT: I need some sleep before class, so I'll be gone for a good while. Night.

omgitsfletch, Oct 15, 2007 IP
  2. proteindude

proteindude Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

For you to understand this girl you would have to be a Christian and you are not. Also a ring is also a small piece of jewellery not something in your face. As a non Christian you cannot decide what should be important to her or not. BUT, even as a non Christian when you see someone wear a wedding ring for example it shows the person is married and should not be approached in a sexual manner. Works best for both parties.

As to your second point I don't quite get it. I thought religious freedom trumps other rights. I am not talking about being silly here. All I am talking about is using common sense. If you allow siks to wear bangles surely a Christian should be allowed to wear a ring (a small piece of jewellery important to the follower of Christianity).

proteindude, Oct 15, 2007 IP
  3. checksum

checksum Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, some sanity. I'm surprised.

checksum, Oct 15, 2007 IP
  4. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:

YAYYYYYYYY!!!!! Will...Thank you. You made my day!

Cheap SEO Services, Oct 15, 2007 IP
  5. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Let's take a better approach - space goes to the highest bidder.

Let them put up the 10 Commandments or a statue of Hammurabi or a 6' tall Coke bottle -- as long as they lease the space.

Will.Spencer, Oct 15, 2007 IP
  6. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    towing the traditional christian line then eh. If you are incapable of answering a question because your faith doesn't allow you to answer it without exposing yourself you simply ignore it.

Ironic as it is, That has proven my point in a far more compelling way than answering the question ever could have. Well done.

Nobody cares what is important to her. If the school says no jewelery then it's no jewelery. If she don't like it, Find another school. School is for learning and rules are rules.

Which is the crux of your problem. Rules apply to everybody, regardless. Just because someone believes in one of the thousands of god it shouldn't make them exempt from rules.

stOx, Oct 15, 2007 IP
  7. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    Re: Public institutions and religious monuments, here's my view, and it is one grounded in my (admittedly, layman's) sense of constitutional law. I've posted this before here. The article below was published in response to a column of syndicated columnist Charles Reese:

This said, I am also a staunch defender of people's right to practice their faith in the private governance of their lives. I believe any hindrance of this is anathema to a free society.

northpointaiki, Oct 15, 2007 IP
  8. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    Join the club, obviously. I'm starting to worry that I do indeed have an addiction. Nothing like proclaiming a dramatic exit only to return within a few weeks. Next time will be the wind, and a door, and that's it.:eek:

northpointaiki, Oct 15, 2007 IP
  9. proteindude

proteindude Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I know how you feel. I was a little in tears when I saw you back. I thought I could get inspired by you and follow in your footsteps but it wasn't to be.

My only hope is maybe somehow I get banned.

proteindude, Oct 15, 2007 IP