1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What can the atheists offer the rest of the world???

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by proteindude, Oct 5, 2007.

I wonder what would happen if we only had atheists in control of government? One must wonder what their priorities would be:

get rid of all religion?

indoctrinate kids about evolution?

put animals first?

forbid all other parties?

Would an atheistic society be a more "tolerable" one?

Everytime I talk about atheism/communism I hear they are different. "YES, communism killed in 50 years more folks than all the religious wars combined together, but that was communism. We atheists are different"

And yet I cannot get over it, I still think we would be a lot worse if the atheists were in full control. I don't think if they were in control they would be as tolerable as they say.

proteindude, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  2. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Many that I know put their country first and not their religion, unlike so many hardcore religious people who say they put their country first, but that of course only works if their country follows their religous beliefs ;)

GRIM, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  3. it career

it career Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Atheists do not hate people just because someone does not believe in your religion .
    Atheists do not believe that there is a divine license to continue commiting all kind of sins (since anyway someone died for his sins and atheist will enjoy eternal bliss in heaven) .

it career, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  4. Tokio

Tokio Peon

Best Answers:
    Atheist people aren't without morals. Many do have morals, and they follow those morals because THEY think it's right - not being some book told them to.

So I think that as long as an opened minded atheist was in power, than everything would be fine. Opened minded in that they don't believe what other people believe, but they're not stopping you either.

They would make laws for the people based on what they believe is best for everyone. Not because they're afraid to go to hell, but because actually believe it's best.

But of course, it always depends on the individual. Some people are power hungry bastards - regardless of religious beliefs - and other people are not.

So it really depends on WHO you put in power, rather than their beliefs.

Tokio, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  5. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    possibly peace, equality, scientific advancement

i think that is just BS you made up, but if you could provide a source link I would read it

nazi's where Christian, but so what

ferret77, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  6. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    proteindude: So, basically what your saying is you believe that Atheists have no sense of right and wrong. They don't have feelings to tell them they are making a bad judgments. That they will force their beliefs upon others, because they are in power.

Just because one chooses not to believe in a religion does automatically make them an atheist anarchist.

I don't understand where the "animals first" comes into the picture of an Atheist in power.

I guess what you are describing is a: Atheist Anarchist that is a PETA activist being put into power?

exodus, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  7. judetheobscure

judetheobscure Peon

Best Answers:
    you just don't give up do you?
    look there are loads of atheists within governments, they just don't talk about it because it isn't important to them, what is important to them is the public office they hold and just how they can best serve their country.
    to believe that all atheists must be communists is lunacy, i am an atheist but i don't believe in communism any more than i believe in catholicism. i also know intrinsically what is right and wrong, and don't need a religion to dictate these fundamentals to me.

judetheobscure, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  8. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The world would be a lot more peaceful ;)

MattUK, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  9. proteindude

proteindude Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, here's a quote from wikipedia regarding an atheist named Stalin: "Regardless, it appears that a minimum of around 10 million surplus deaths (4 million by repression and 6 million from famine) are attributable to the regime, with a number of recent books suggesting a likely total of around 20 million.[62][63][64][65][66] Adding 6-8 million famine victims to Erlikman's estimates above, for example, would yield a total of between 15 and 17 million victims. Pioneering researcher Robert Conquest, meanwhile, has revised his original estimate of up to 30 million victims down to 20 million.[67] Others, however, continue to maintain that their earlier much higher estimates are correct.[68]"

For more go and read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Stalin

Let's not forget communism had as one its major tenets denial of existence of God. Add to Russia those killed in China, Romania, Albania, Cambodgia and you will quickly come to a little known atheist secret which shows that in 50 years of communism more were killed than in ALL the wars in the history of human kind combined together (in only 50 years). Hence I reckon atheists are the worst if given monopoly.

10. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Stalin killed people in the persuit of totalitarian power, not because of their religion. If organised athiests had held the power in Russia he would have killed them also. I suggest you go back to school ;)

MattUK, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  11. Ireq

Ireq Peon

Best Answers:
    As Tokio rightly points out there are Atheist people with morals and those without. Beware of the second group. Their being the majority of any gov in the world simply would lead to another regime. That is how I see it.

Ireq, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  12. Tokio

Tokio Peon

Best Answers:
    And like I said before, it depends on WHO you put in power. A religious leader can be just as horrible as an atheist leader.

And just because an atheist doesn't believe in your God doesn't mean they're going to stop you from believing. A lot of atheists I've come across don't care if someone else believes, they just don't believe themselves.

And a leader's lack of religion isn't going to make them a bad leader. As long as they have morals (which they can develop without religion) then they could be fine.

I would worry more about the person's values and goals more than I would worry about their religious beliefs.

Tokio, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  13. proteindude

proteindude Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Of course master atheist apologetic. Stalin is one of the many atheists/communists. Don't forget China, North Korea, Romania, Albania, Cambodgia, etc. All their leaders were atheist.

Really what can atheism offer? Tell me of an atheistic song that I can teach to my kids? You know something that rivals Amazing Grace, or Silent Night or Joy to the World. Something, some atheistic song that I can enjoy singing even though I may not believe in it.

14. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    there are religious people with morals and those without. Beware of the second group. Their being the majority of any gov in the world simply would lead to another regime. That is how I see it.

The difference being?

MattUK, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  15. iul

iul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you would probably end up having a country like Sweden or Swizerland, which sounds great to me

iul, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  16. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So what can religion offer, apart from some songs ;)

MattUK, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  17. xmcp123

xmcp123 Peon

Best Answers:
    Take a look at the major conflicts over the past 2000 years. Almost every single one has been related to religion. WW2, 9/11, The Crusades, the entire Dark Ages, Spanish Inqusition, Slavery (we were "converting" them), almost wiping the Native Americans out. These(and many more) were based in religion.
    What atheists have to offer, is that they have no belief more significant to them than logic and rationale. That helps prevent things like this from happening.

xmcp123, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  18. Tokio

Tokio Peon

Best Answers:
    Saying all atheist leaders are/will be bad is like saying all religious leaders are good.

It's simply not true.

Would you be okay with a leader of a different religion than yours? Maybe someone that follows Shinto? Or perhaps a Satanist?

Would you be okay with that? ...at least they're not evil atheists, right?

Tokio, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  19. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    He probably would be, logic isn't his strong point ;)

MattUK, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  20. judetheobscure

judetheobscure Peon

Best Answers:
    communism is more of a religion than a form of atheism in that the followers are indoctrinated and mindlessly obedient.
    atheism is not an organised ideology, it just 'is'.
    and just as there are good and bad religious people, there are good and bad atheists, but can we stop keep comparing atheists with communism, it is incorrect.

judetheobscure, Oct 5, 2007 IP