1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What can be done after knowing your hackers ip?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by nomzz, Feb 8, 2012.

Hi All,

Its been quite strange, Ive been working in IT since 2000 and wanted to do some thing like that which happens, few hours back i got message that your passowrd of facebook is changed...with this email id and IP Address: 116.71.51.83.

But not sure what can be done to know exactly from what location is been done and to report back to isp...if it was austrlaia i would already managed to know who is that person...because these days facebook hacking is normally done by not professionals they dont have hide their ips or route them...

Well, any suggestions highly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Nauman

nomzz, Feb 8, 2012 IP
  2. GMF

GMF Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, you could try ip2location.com . I just tried it with the IP you provided and gave me this info

GMF, Feb 8, 2012 IP
  3. nomzz

nomzz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Actually I know this one but could be done with this information? and even where to report :) ......this information is really generic in my view...because i feel PTCL gives infrastructure to all other isps

nomzz, Feb 8, 2012 IP
  4. eamiro

eamiro Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Who is the message sender? Be careful, it could be a fishing attempt!

eamiro, Feb 8, 2012 IP
  5. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You can also see where in the world it is via the tool on this site:

http://tools.digitalpoint.com/geo?ip=116.71.51.83

As far as someone in Pakistan using your Facebook account, there's probably not a lot you can do realistically. Authorities in Australia or the US have no authority to do anything to someone in Pakistan. And they only way they are going to bother working with Pakistani authorities to makes something happen is if they were doing something major... like stealing millions of credit cards or something.

You have to look at it realistically... is it worth their time to spend probably hundreds of law enforcement hours to try and "get" someone who logged into your Facebook account? Probably not... unless they were doing something a little more major.

That being said... hopefully you never use your same password on your Facebook account (or any account) that you use anywhere else.

digitalpoint, Feb 8, 2012 IP
  6. briteday

briteday Active Member

Best Answers:
    My wife gets those kinds of messages from time to time. But, she says the ip isn't provided. Anyhow, if it was hacking your computer (or even web hosting, I think) you could do ip blocking at various places such as the router. But, with something like Facebook, they would have to do it. And, unless FB has changed drastically in the last year (yes, I hate Facebook), they do not provide anything of a professional website like support (and the programming is buggy crap). So, good luck that they would do anything or care.

Besides, a hacker can work around it by just moving to a different ip. Use the ip to bust someone for crime? LOL! They would have to be incredibly stupid, unthinkably stupid. And, outside the USA? Only in a perfect World, eh?

I suspect that this hacking of Facebook is a much larger problem than anyone (but maybe FB themselves) is aware of. Hopefully, they have the two most powerful anti-hacking techniques in place: 1) limited retries for a time period, and 2) too rapid of retries to be a human at a keyboard. This is because most hacker automation will read from a dictionary or list of good guesses and retry as many times as needed to crack a password. Even that novel by Dan Brown with the secret super hacking computer basically just did this (just extremely fast).

If you can find a way to contact Facebook though, you probably should. At least it would be a vote that they have an issue that needs attention. Although, they would have to be completely incompetent to not already be aware. But, sometimes executives need stats to take into a meeting and get this rolling seriously.

briteday, Feb 8, 2012 IP