1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

what blog programe to install ?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by greenway, Sep 15, 2005.

my server has fantastico that offers the following Blog software.

b2evolution
    Nucleus
    pMachine Free
    WordPress

I run wordpress on another server but was thinking about trying one of the others,does anyone have any experience of b2evolution ,Nucleus or pMachine Free ?

I need something with good support as i am a newbie to blogs.

greenway, Sep 15, 2005 IP
  2. redbull

redbull Active Member

Best Answers:
    Though you asked for experiences with other software, I have to personally recommend wordpress, as I have found it to be the best one.

Dan

redbull, Sep 15, 2005 IP
  3. Willy

Willy Peon

Best Answers:
    b2evolution is pretty good. But, if you've got Fantastico on a standard CPanel account, you should have one more option showing up in there: Drupal. Give it a try. Drupal has its origins (back in the day) as a blog tool, but it's now a lot more powerful in comparison to the other systems mentioned, as it's become a general-purpose CMS with a helluva lot of add-ons available. (That means it's more often mentioned in comparisons with Mambo, eZ Publish and similar, instead of blog tools.)

Drupal will handle anything from a personal blog to a full Blogger-like blog network (I just set one up some time ago), not to mention content sites, e-commerce shops and whatnot. I use Drupal almost exclusively these days, for dozens of different kinds of sites.

Willy, Sep 16, 2005 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'd also suggest sticking with what you know so your time can be spent concentrating on producing content, and not understanding the systems presenting the content.

sarahk, Sep 16, 2005 IP
  5. king_cobra

king_cobra Peon

Best Answers:

What about SE friendliness? Any experiences?

king_cobra, Sep 16, 2005 IP
  6. Willy

Willy Peon

Best Answers:
    Drupal has built-in SEO-friendly URLs. Check out the site in my sig for an example.

Willy, Sep 16, 2005 IP
  7. programmer

programmer Guest

Best Answers:
    i think you sholud stick with WP as you already use it.

For Nucleus you have to edit lots of files manually

pMachine Free is a lite version of pMachine Pro with very limited options

b2evolution i found it very difficult to use

programmer, Sep 16, 2005 IP
  8. alext

alext Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress is great, as you probably know.

Drupal is defiantly better if your site has a community aspect to it. If you are doing something more simple Drupal is still great.

B2Evo is unnecessarily complex to get started with. Once you have it sorted out it is fine, but it is, um, what's the word... confining? It feels like it has a ton of options at first, in fact too many to deal with. But once you get over that you end up using only a few features and then it starts feeling limited. I think B2Evo would shine more in a situation where you had multiple blogs that were interrelated / interconnected. You do kind of have to change your thinking when working with B2Evo. Instead of doing things your way, you need to start doing things the B2Evo way.

I have settled on WP and Drupal.

Wordpress for a straightforwand blog.

Drupal has multiple domain support, great community tools, great modules options. The documentation is generally good, however some of it is getting outdated and that doesn't seem like it will change soon. I hear people say with some frequency on the Drupal site that they "wished the Drupal documentation was a good as Wordpress".

You can't go wrong with either.

alext, Sep 16, 2005 IP
    Willy likes this.
  9. Nixies

Nixies Peon

Best Answers:
    I would have to put my vote in for workpress, it does everything!

Nixies, Sep 16, 2005 IP
  10. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Peon

Best Answers:
    Not intend to offend, but I think you may consider sending blog-related posts to the following instead:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40

This sub-forum is for blog questions, so many experienced people may be there to help you :p

Best regards.

Wai_Wai, Sep 17, 2005 IP