1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

what average price of an article consisting of 500 words?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Dan077, Jul 11, 2008.

1. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, Jenn's a cheater. ;)

As far as money goes, my last project paid just over 40 cents per word (not from DP) and I'm not a mod.

The money is out there (for qualified writers).

But what really matters is your ability. There could be one million jobs out there paying $1 per word, but if your ability isn't to that level, it really doesn't matter.

marketjunction, Jul 18, 2008 IP
  2. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Oh, don't you start. :p

Qualified is definitely a key. With press releases, I usually pull in 30-60 cents per word, even though there are lots of folks here offering releases for $10-50. Those who specialize in marketing copy / sales copy here make far more than the generic content writers who offer to "give it a try". Those specializing in high-paying niches with real credentials are often getting paid more for content than all of the other content writers floating around here. Why? Because we have qualifications the other writers don't. Specialize, specialize, specialize.

jhmattern, Jul 18, 2008 IP
    Rohit patel likes this.
  3. miracleberry

miracleberry Guest

Best Answers:
    why pay for an article, blimey,, I can fill websites with as much unique content as you want, all easy to find, and easy to get, there re so many ways round so many things if you just used your brain you would never have to pay money for content

miracleberry, Jul 20, 2008 IP
  4. vgal

vgal Active Member

Best Answers:
    Awww. Yes, Jen is extremely reputable. Yes, Jen is a professional. Her rates don't come from the DP market - her rates come from her experience and specializing. I don't charge nearly as much as her, but I am not an extremely specialized and reputable writer as her. (Reputation overall, not "DP rep")

Everyone starts somewhere, and following Jen's blog/advice/information will greatly help. Yes, I know... "but she says to specialize", which I haven't really. However, her insight is almost priceless. :)

vgal, Jul 20, 2008 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  5. kiteguy123

kiteguy123 Guest

Best Answers:
    Pay on DP is crap.. Prices before I joined were usually $0.02, and they seem to have gone down to $0.01, really shocking...
    Im about to start finding work elsewhere in the hope of getting more money for my articles.

kiteguy123, Jul 21, 2008 IP
  6. Rohit patel

Rohit patel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well you are right price is drop to $0.01/Word. Although I am still lucky enough to get projects of $0.02 to $0.05 per words from private way. No need to open thread or ask someone. My buyers send projects by PM with good pay rates! But in Content Creation section, we can now finding news rates like $3 for 400 words and other offers. We would see $0.005 in few months since rates are already down to $0.009 in many projects. Normally I am getting $11to $18 for 500 Words.:)

Rohit patel, Jul 21, 2008 IP
  7. kiteguy123

kiteguy123 Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I agree with what you're saying. I mean, there's someone in the Content Creation Section selling 250 words for $1!!!! :eek:
    I tried to raise my prices, but got no interest. Personally I'm gonna start my own site and try and sell my services there

Rohit patel likes this.
  8. Rohit patel

Best Answers:
    Yes! Even few sales threads are running for lower rates. So it is a difficult for new writers to get jobs if he set $0.01+ rates. Although once you create your reputation and make good relationship then it is not hard to get jobs here on DP.:)

9. spacepide11

spacepide11 Peon

Best Answers:
    This is my first DP post, Yay! I saw DP suggested on another webiste as a great place for gigs, but I was somewhat shocked at the prices when I visited for the first time.

spacepide11, Jul 21, 2008 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  10. kiteguy123

kiteguy123 Guest

Best Answers:
    It's great for the amount of work you can get, there's loads. The problem is the pay that you get for writing all these articles. :p

jhmattern likes this.
  11. Rohit patel

Best Answers:
    Well on DP you would find new project in every 5 to 10 Min. so you have lots of jobs on DP but pay rate is as low as $0.01 but there are few people on DP who still give better rates for quality writing.

12. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    DP can be an excellent place to get high-paying clients as well. What you need to understand is that it's not the type of place where you just come in and the gigs are waiting. You need to build a reputation. In other words, make most of your posts useful to the community rather than just answering or posting job ads.

For example, if you're looking for paid blogging gigs, demonstrate that you understand blogging well by posting in the blogging forum here regularly.

Specialize in sales letter writing? Then make yourself a fixture here in the copywriting forum.

Do you focus on SEO content? Then spend time making yourself known in the search engine optimization area.

jhmattern, Jul 21, 2008 IP
  13. damyantig

damyantig Peon

Best Answers:
    50 usd is more or less the maximum a webmaster would be willing to pay for a quality article of 500 words.

For magazines with big budgets, you are looking at a different price range altogether.

damyantig, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  14. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    It's nowhere near the maximum. Webmasters building authority sites often pay much more than $50 per 500 word article. I have clients who pay anywhere from around $75 (for about 350 words) to several hundred for something in the 500-word range. You can earn just as much (sometimes more) targeting Web publications as you can targeting print ones.

jhmattern, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  15. damyantig

damyantig Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, Jen, they would pay more, but one has to be very specialized and be from a country like US/UK to earn it. The minute clients know I work from Singapore and Malaysia(I travel between the two), they frown at rates higher than 10 cents a word. And that is when they are singing praises about my work.

I admire your work though, and am hoping to specialize enough to earn higher rates. The highest I have ever been paid by a webmaster is 16 cents a word, and that was for work that needed back-breaking research.

damyantig, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  16. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Still not true. I know a lot of writers internationally who earn just as much as I do (and much more in some cases). One of the more professional writers I'm acquainted with is actually Indian.

For starters, don't advertise your location unless they ask. Beyond that, explain that they pay for value; not locale. If you can provide the same value as a US-based writer, you don't have to accept less because of the cost of living. If you earn the same as a US-based writer, just consider the lower cost of living extra "gravy" in that you get to make out better. Don't market based on price, and if you're going to offer lower rates it should be because your clients are located in lower cost of living locales; not because you are. Just remember - it's up to you to decide what value you're offering clients, and then it's your job as a freelancer to demonstrate that value to the clients to justify whatever rates you plan to charge. That said, your rates are quite decent compared to a lot of writers here. So stick with it, keep networking, and find ways to downplay your location if you need to.

jhmattern, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  17. Erin Mullin

Erin Mullin Guest

Best Answers:
    As mentioned, the price you pay for a freelance writer largely depends on their qualifications and experience. Quality is also a very important factor to consider when employing a writer. Just about anyone can promise a potential employer quality work, which makes it difficult to separate the professionals from those looking to make a quick dollar. In addition, some writers calculate their asking price differently than others. For example, some writers prefer to be paid by the hour versus by the word.

In conclusion, there are far too many variables in the situation to identify an exact price. It would be in your best interest to personally contact a few writers. Be sure to consider the aforementioned factors before contacting writers. Do these writers have the same qualifications and level of experience as you do? Try to find writers that are offering the same quality of work you are and direct your question to them personally. As Jenn has mentioned, you’ll need to determine the value of your work. I personally believe this would be a great place to start.

Erin Mullin, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  18. saman01

saman01 Peon

Best Answers:
    I charge around $6 for 500 words for articles with normal research.On complex subjects,i charge more depending on the time and research involved.

saman01, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  19. bobbyt

bobbyt Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I charged about the same rate as saman when I first started. However I am thinking of charging $10 for 500 words now.

bobbyt, Jul 28, 2008 IP