1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What Are Your Product Selection Strategies?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by YMC, May 5, 2014.

What are your product selection strategies? I'm talking about finding items to promote within a defined niche rather than the typical what sells sort of question.

I've recently started adding recommended products to one of my sites. I'm finding myself sometimes spending hours looking for the "right" product with the best looking reviews (i.e. not too many legitimate sounding complaints). Problem is, like today, I've spent around an hour and have nothing to show for it.

Is this just the nature of the beast or am I wasting time picking apart the reviews? Do you find something that is the best match and just run with it or do you try to find something you would actually buy yourself?

YMC, May 5, 2014 IP
  2. sweetpea69

sweetpea69 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Consider yourself lucky if you only spend an hour researching this stuff. The analysis paralysis I get with some things (like this) is ridiculous. But it's definitely time well spent, opposed to creating a whole site, adding relevant content, etc., and soon realizing no one really gives a shit. I've had a couple sites that were for the most part "driven by Amazon", so I'll say this (in experience). You need to definitely choose a niche product that actually warrants a website, not products that can be just as easily satisfied reading the reviews right off amazon.

Case in point, I bought a new hard drive enclosure today, and while I was already well informed on what I wanted, I based the newest products solely off the Amazon reviews. After all, it's only $15. Even though I went to eBay to buy it lol.

So definitely choose a product that warrants an outside (respected) opinion on the subject. Choosing items that are higher priced, not only because it's more money for you, but most people would want some more information, reviews, etc., on the subject. And another point. Amazon does a great job categorizing their products for the most part, but not 100%. If you can find a niche product(s) that aren't the easiest to search on the Amazon site and you provide a site with more ease of use, you may just have a winner.

sweetpea69, May 8, 2014 IP
  3. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the feedback. Sounds like the investment in time is something that's just part of the game. I guess I was wondering if I was missing something.

In my case, I have a website that is doing fairly well in the SERPs. Sure, I'd love more traffic, but it's doing OK. Adsense isn't really working - the CTR is absolutely pathetic.

So, I'm kinda going at this backwards from most. I've built the site and am now looking for products to promote on it.

The related products range from around $2 to hundreds. Average is probably $10-15. It would seem though that customers would often buy multiple products at once.

Guess it's just a matter of figuring out the right mix for my site and visitors.

YMC, May 8, 2014 IP
  4. sweetpea69

sweetpea69 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of adsense. I guess it's because I use adblock, and assume most other ppl do as well lol. Unless you're looking for a more "authentic" look to your site, I'd consider getting WPRobot w/ the amazon module. Definitely takes a large chunk of time out, if you are looking to promote a lot of items. That is, if you are using wordpress...

sweetpea69, May 9, 2014 IP
  5. interfab

interfab Member

Best Answers:
    I normally look through their best sellers in a niche that I know and go from there. Once I find a product I look to see who else is promoting it, and ranking well, and I go through their backlinks to find the most valuable targets. I get what I can and work on ranking the rest myself.

interfab, Jul 24, 2014 IP
  6. mini_m

mini_m Active Member

Best Answers:
    Is it possible to get Amazon affiliates sites to come up in Google Shopping?

mini_m, Jul 25, 2014 IP