1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What are your biggest problems with CSS?

Discussion in 'CSS' started by bigdaddysheikh, Jun 9, 2010.

Is it IE testing, floating divs, jQuery integration?

So what are your challenges when working with CSS?

bigdaddysheikh, Jun 9, 2010 IP
  2. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Having to work around IE's inadequacy or broken implementations.

drhowarddrfine, Jun 9, 2010 IP
  3. bigdaddysheikh

bigdaddysheikh Member

Best Answers:
    Man do I hate IE,

Someone on my twitter actually made a voodoo doll for IE.

The IE developer toolbar does help but its so bad how the browser is inconsistent. I wish they would use web tool kit.

bigdaddysheikh, Jun 9, 2010 IP
  4. dlb

dlb Member

Best Answers:
    Regardless of previous versions IE8 isn't all that bad, it brings some basic functionality back and does save us time, even if it is still lagging heavily behind. It's the older versions that are the main cause of problems.

O/T: I don't really have any issues with CSS. It's as open and as free as a language can be... That is, as long as you don't put yourself in a position so you end up having to use hacks.

dlb, Jun 10, 2010 IP
  5. trixinitynet

trixinitynet Peon

Best Answers:
    floating divs is a big one, everything seems different from ie to mozilla, and considering i use moz, but most of my users use ie, im constantly checking to make sure i didnt screw anything up.

trixinitynet, Jun 10, 2010 IP
  6. ked38

ked38 Peon

Best Answers:
    Sometimes forget to do a clear:both after previous float;

but still like it.For IE ,focus more hacks ...

Ked38

ked38, Jun 10, 2010 IP
  7. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Contradicting yourself. Lagging heavily behind is the problem and always will be for IE. IE8 is "better" but not "good". IE8 is the worst current browser on the planet by far.

drhowarddrfine, Jun 10, 2010 IP
  8. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    You most likely didn't screw anything up. Whenever you use a modern browser to test code, and then check in IE, chances are you'll find something IE screws up, not anything you did wrong.

9. dlb

dlb Member

Best Answers:
    "IE8 isn't all that bad" does not equate to "being flawless", nice logic. It is an improvement that benefits all designers but it still has a long way to go. Saying it will NEVER catch up is just ridiculous. You're clearly biased. It's not exactly hard to get a site looking the same in IE, only IE6 and older cause big problems but even then there is a ton of documentation online.

Also, you might want to start editing your posts or multi-quoting instead of double-posting all the time.

dlb, Jun 10, 2010 IP
  10. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Saying it will NEVER catch up is just ridiculous. You're clearly biased.[/quote]Oh? Am I wrong? IE has been behind all other browsers since 2001. IE7 and IE8 didn't catch up to the others. Microsoft's announced plans for IE9 don't show any catching up to the other browsers. When is IE10 coming out? I think it's easy to say it will be far behind all the other, too!
    How's that canvas element working out for you? How about SVG? How about XHTML? How's working with the DOM going for you? Tried any HTML5 elements lately? How about CSS3?

Now tell me how hard getting modern web sites working in IE is.
    Don't want to. It's not double posting either. It's different responses to different people and different topics.

11. FinalHuntMedia

FinalHuntMedia Peon

Best Answers:
    IE compatibility to me is the biggest annoyance... Hoping they will catch up eventually. Albeit IE has a long way to go, as pointed out earlier, it is still top dog in the browser market... It still commands attention and respect by designers and developers.

http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

FinalHuntMedia, Jun 10, 2010 IP
  12. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Depends on how you look at it. There are the modern browsers and then there's IE. Going by your chart, IE is used less than the other browsers. This is significant because the other browsers are more standards compliant and work with more modern methods. This means the web is moving forward.
    Attention but no respect. It doesn't deserve it. It's the worst browser on the planet, 12 years behind all other in modern standards and practices. No designer/coder worth his salt has any respect for IE.

13. dlb

dlb Member

Best Answers:
    I don't use canvas for the simple reason that it is not fully supported yet, the same with SVG. I stopped using XHTML a couple of years ago in preparation for HTML5. I have rarely needed to work with the DOM (sufficient documentation is available online anyway) and I don't use CSS3 yet because again it is not fully supported.

Excluding XHTML, these technologies are akin to a new born baby... Would you expect a newborn to be walking around unaided in its early infancy? No... Show some sense here.

Deliciously easy!

Wow, your arrogance is of epic proportions. Forget community rules because drhowarddrfine "doesn't want to". Boohoo. ...They can easily be contained to one post.

Ok, this is getting ridiculous at this point. You're talking about how 4 other browsers have a feeble 2% lead on the most common browser when added together. Does Google get compared and slated because if you added the user pool of Yahoo, Bing and Ask together there is 2% more users? No, never.

The only thing I will agree with you on is that IE shouldn't be respected. It was forced on the populace through the operating system and there is no doubt in my mind that if everyone had to find and compare a browser for themselves IE use would be minimal.

I shall leave this thread alone at this point.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
    dlb, Jun 11, 2010 IP
  14. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    And you proved my point. The only browser that does not support SVG is IE. Saying you stopped using XHTML in preparation for HTML5 tells me you lack experience since 1) I doubt you serve XHTML since it doesn't work in IE and 2) you don't need to change anything in XHTML markup to make it work with HTML5. Your further comments about the DOM and not using CSS3 also point to your lack of experience or knowledge and you shouldn't be making such silly, flat out wrong comments.
    The only browser that needs an assist is IE. You won't find any of the newer tech working there until IE9 some time next year. Even then it won't be as good as any other browser.
    Don't make me repeat what I just said. Just because you don't know enough about SVG, XHTML, canvas, and CSS3, so you don't use those, don't say it's easy to make IE work by just avoiding modern technology.
    Arrogance because I won't do what you want me to do? Can you stay on topic please?
    I knew you wouldn't get my point. My point was "There are modern browsers and then there's IE." iow, IE doesn't act like any other browser but, per your chart which I also disagree with, more people use better browsers that can handle SVG, XHTML, canvas, etc. and so this helps the modern web move forward.
    Running away is your best option.

drhowarddrfine, Jun 11, 2010 IP
  15. johagulo

johagulo Peon

Best Answers:
    Ie testing in ie6 is very tough.

johagulo, Jun 12, 2010 IP
  16. ked38

ked38 Peon

Best Answers:
    My teacher said that I us etoo much css.
    I would use less css, seem use too much, eg 2 external css file but using ID only ....

Ked38

ked38, Jun 14, 2010 IP
  17. softek

softek Peon

Best Answers:
    i have problem with css that some works with IE nor with Firefox

softek, Jun 17, 2010 IP
  18. wd_2k6

wd_2k6 Peon

Best Answers:
    The fact IE is still lagging behind leaves a lot to be desired for, is implementation really that hard? I also don't see why the browser could not have some sort of auto-update module within the browser so that it can be updated on the fly, rather than each time waiting for a new version which leaves novice-users (relcuctant/cba to change) still with old versions such as IE6. Maybe this isn't feasible but it seems a problem that we are waiting for certain % of people to stop using the old browsers.

How far could we have progressed without the problems found in IE? So much of a developers time has been spent in finding/discussing and fixing bugs.

However this said I read somewhere that IE6 had the best CSS support when it originally came out, so should the browser itself get so much stick or should it be that their user upgrade handling was poor..

wd_2k6, Jun 17, 2010 IP