1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What are the rates for copywiting?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by leony, Sep 3, 2008.

Hi,

Does anyone know the rates of a copywriter?

Basically I have a blog and I want to hire a copywriter who will post 1 entry per week about interior designing etc..

What should be the average cost for this?

I am based in the UK by the way.

Thanks a lot...

leony, Sep 3, 2008 IP
  2. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds like you're looking a blogger then, and not necessarily a copywriter - you're looking for basic blog content right? You'll find people here probably willing to do it for $5 or less (whose English won't be great in many cases and who very likely won't be an expert in the niche to write anything really original) and you'll find professional bloggers or content writers who would be willing to do the blogging for much higher rates in your niche. I suggest you set your budget up front and look for the best you can afford (check other niche blogs or content sites to find people specializing in interior design) rather than basing a budget on what most on a forum like DP will tell you they charge.

jhmattern, Sep 3, 2008 IP
  3. webgal

webgal Peon

Best Answers:
    Craigslist might give you an idea about this. I don't know if you pay by post or by the hour.

webgal, Sep 6, 2008 IP
  4. godsofchaos

godsofchaos Peon

Best Answers:
    Copywriting rate varies greatly on the quality and experience of a writer. You can get writers for $1/post and find bloggers charging $500/post and at the end of the day it's all bout balancing your own budget, objective and personal satisfaction.

godsofchaos, Sep 6, 2008 IP
  5. ruffneck119

ruffneck119 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I do per project basis myself so it's tough to say.

It also depends on my client but I try to make $100 an hour from my writing.

But in an hour I get A LOT done.

ruffneck119, Sep 6, 2008 IP
  6. ChromeMan

ChromeMan Guest

Best Answers:
    Damn! I typically charge 50 dollars for an hours work. I never thought I was that good, but I did it once for someone and was then recommended, and so on and so on...Pretty nice little talent to have, I'd say.

ChromeMan, Sep 6, 2008 IP
  7. mspennylane

mspennylane Active Member

Best Answers:
    It would be great to get that kind of hourly rate, though I guess building the reputation to back it up always takes time. For now I have been offering low rates but trying my hardest not to scrimp on the quality even so. But at the same time you just cannot let yourself spend hours on an article you are only getting $5 for!

But it seems on here plenty do work for low rates. I am included in that list but from what I can see a lot of people offer quality based on that rate - a quality which does not equal great writing!

mspennylane, Sep 6, 2008 IP
  8. Grant Media

Grant Media Banned

Best Answers:
    Typically, a good copywriter will command between $75-$100 per hour, in my experience. You aren't exactly looking for a copywriter, though. Looks like you need a blogger.

Grant Media, Sep 11, 2008 IP
  9. AUTOATTACKER

AUTOATTACKER Guest

Best Answers:
    If you're working on a low budget project then you get what you pay for. to sum up it all depend upon what your priorities are.

AUTOATTACKER, Sep 12, 2008 IP
  10. Volwin

Volwin Peon

Best Answers:
    Kind of in addition to Leony's question, where* would one find a good copywriter for $75-100/ hour?

Volwin, Oct 3, 2011 IP
  11. sanash

sanash Peon

Best Answers:
    Try finding local journalists to write for your blog as they are usually good writers and journalism has slumped and many journalists have lost their jobs. Journalists are usually cheaper than a full-on copywriter!

sanash, Oct 5, 2011 IP
  12. rhondag

rhondag Member

Best Answers:
    Copywriters usually write sales pages, etc, but a content writer can also publish post to your blog if you wish. If you are using word press you can give a writer limited access to be able to post on your site. They will not be able to get into your plugins, or other areas. This is very easy to set up in word press. It is my opinion that someone should be willing to write you one article a week and post to your site for a monthly fee of $65.00

rhondag, Oct 5, 2011 IP
  13. pex7

pex7 Peon

Best Answers:
    You have many many options. Fiverr has endless article writers, but you will want to see a sample of their work first! I have been bamboozled before. But you can expect to spend somewhere between $4-7 for a good 600 word blog article.

pex7, Nov 16, 2011 IP
  14. retakhan

retakhan Peon

Best Answers:
    per hour 80/120$

retakhan, Nov 28, 2011 IP
  15. Louise84

Louise84 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Leony

As you can see from the above posts rates really do vary. I myself am a content writer, and am from the UK also, I also did a little bit of research on this for the UK specifically and rates again vary greatly. What I did find interesting is the rates in London seemed higher than those, say in my native Newcastle :p

I have been writing for a few years now, and when I first started out would charge around 3 GBP for an article, but that was just to get into the market, and I didn't have as much experience as I do now.

A few years later my rates now are 12 GBP per 500 word article, so really it depends on the quality you want, if you require a UK/US native, and whether you want seo content with keywords etc.

hope this gives you some more insight.

Louise84, Nov 28, 2011 IP
  16. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow. Old thread. Still going. Interesting. $40 please.

contentboss, Nov 29, 2011 IP
  17. MagicMonkey

MagicMonkey Member

Best Answers:
    A really old and dead thrad still going you mean ;)
    And some of the prices are simply hilarious - $120/hour yeah sure I wish

MagicMonkey, Nov 29, 2011 IP
  18. ChR0n1k

ChR0n1k Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    $100 hour is a little farfetched, but not unrealistic. I know some guys that can get 5+ 500 word articles done within an hour and they are charging $15 USD and up per article. $75 an hour is not bad at all, but I couldn't afford to hire those guys!

ChR0n1k, Dec 14, 2011 IP
  19. rhondag

rhondag Member

Best Answers:
    I have heard of writers who can turn out lots of articles in an hour, but frankly unless they are experts on the subject and can write off the top of their heads, there is no way these articles could be much more than fluff. As a writer I charge a minimum of $15 for an article and by the time I do REAL research and write, then edit the article I am spending 1 to 1 1/2 hours per article. I frankly would not want to buy an article that was not well researched.

Copywriting is a whole new ball game and the sky is the limit for a good one. I can almost guarantee you that people like Frank Kern, and other people that are making millions per year, are outsourcing their copywriting and don't mind paying thousands of dollars for it. Why, because it's going to make them many more thousands than what they paid.

rhondag, Dec 14, 2011 IP
  20. danstelter

danstelter Member

Best Answers:
    You can pay anywhere from $5 to $400 or more. The important thing is that the writer writes well, gets it done on time, and fits in your budget. I'd recommend finding someone in at least the $25-$40 range because people that go any lower than that are slamming down the first garbage that comes to mind, which means you're getting content that can be found virtually anywhere else.

Unique content is king.

danstelter, Jan 5, 2012 IP