1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What are the Best Web Design Trends 2016?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by sanjanasanu, Jul 14, 2016.

1. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Alright, setting aside your broken Engrish moist goodry, let's see what idiocy we have in this turdpres slushfest of... wow, I have to override the fonts on the blog it's on JUST to make it legible thanks to the goofy thin glyph webfonts. EPIC FAILURE before I even start reading the ARTICLE? Oh, this bodes well.

Well, at least I have Stylish to tell their CSS where to stick it.

... and, wow, the article too is broken gibberish "Me love you long time" Engrish... doing good.

... and, it mentions a few concepts, doesn't explain what any of them are or means, and just goes through the motions with marketspeak buzzwords. That was pointless rubbish.

deathshadow, Aug 3, 2016 IP
  2. Mehdi.b

Mehdi.b Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's not my website to defend it, but it does what it needs to do. If you are a seasoned developer, I'm a seasoned marketer, and not like many younger kids no I do not put together lists and sell clicks, I started with Siemens and ABB, so when I say it does work for the market it needs to work, then it does.
    Yes it does look like a phony magazine with shiny cover with no actual content, but look who are you targeting and what's the purpose of the website then you see it works. There are thousands of these websites out there that does the job, and this is one of them. For instance another car website supercar 212, check it out but don't get outraged again. The website uses videos play on load, website has tons of bugs and is slow, does not have a conversion flow but it did the job when it needed to attract some rich kids with super hero complexities.
    I hope you get my point about the objective of the website, take your programmer hat off for a second and look at it as the user point of view (something I never tell my colleagues do for some reasons).
    Anyway have a great day

Mehdi.b, Aug 7, 2016 IP
  3. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I don't. I don't see a single commercial objective being met. You say it attracts a certain type of visitor, but why do you want that visitor? What makes that visit valuable for anything other than stroking the owner's ego? I've been seeing an expression from England regarding people who seek those strokes. They're called the wankeratti. Ooh, let's sit in a circle and pull view each other's pu site.

I absolutely do look at sites from a user's point of view. Does the site make it easy for me to find what I'm looking for, is it easy to learn what I want to learn, am I entertained enough to come back for new content and read the ads and is it easy to buy what I want to buy? Just what does your user want? Is he there to stroke the site owner? How many times does he return and is he so slow witted he thinks the samo samo is going to be different next time? What the hell is the purpose of the site and how does it pay for itself. If it doesn't, it's a hobby.

The site you linked is made for granma so she can tell all her friends about how smart her darlin' grand baby is.

gary

kk5st, Aug 7, 2016 IP
    deathshadow likes this.
  4. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Regardless of how many users it flips the double bird at and tells to **** off? Doubtful.

Of course, "it does the job" is yet another of the many lame excuses you find amongst the lazy and the apologists.... as is the target audience excuse. BOTH of which are usually just to make up for outright ignorance or willfully being either too lazy or outright ignorant of what websites are, much less are for.

http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200704/lame_excuses_for_not_being_a_web_professional/

Which is why it takes over a minute to do anything meaningful, pisses off users who happen to be using the computer to listen to music the same time as browsing, is WORSE in many regards as damned if I can even find a freaking MUTE button for the page. (thankfully the browser I use has a 'mute tab' option)...

How the hell steaming piles of bloated maggot ridden manure even have traffic astounds me -- particularly given the rich are usually even less patient!

I AM looking at it from a users point of view -- a user who can't read half the damned text because of the goofy thin-glyph fonts, nearly overlapping character spacing and line-heights, illegible colour contrasts of text over video, and who would probably bounce thinking the site was broken LONG before it ever finished loading!

From the point of view of someone who lands on the page and goes "alright, what is this and why should I care?" -- It's all flash and no substance; hence all the fancy artsy bull is just dropping a can of shellac on a pile. No matter how much you polish it, the result is still bug excrement coated bull feces.

Usability studies like those done by nnGroup have been done for a reason. Accessibility guidelines like the WCAG exist for a REASON. That reason is to make sites that are useful to as many visitors as possible. THAT is developing to the visitors needs and wants -- THAT is addressing site design from the point of view of a user.

Something neither of those supercar sites have, the end result begging the same question the little old lady in the Wendy's commercials used to ask.

WHERE'S THE BEEF!?!

There's no meat to any of these sites, they tell users with even the slightest of infirmities to go plow themselves, even on the fastest connections in raw handshakes alone they have first-loads measured in minutes... How in blazes is any of that good from a "user's point of view"?!?|

All that garbage does is exist to stroke the ego of the PSD jockey and Scripttard who vomited said laundry lists of how not to build a website together. It sure as shine-ola has jack-nothing to do with making a site for actual visitors. It's the sleazy nube-predating garbage artists and marketers dupe the ignorant to fork money over for no matter how badly if shtups the client! You know, Billy Joe and Bobby Sue development. Hoo Hoo Hoo... Good for a quick cash grab by the scam artists who made it, and nothing else.

-- edit -- lemme put this in automotive terms, if a normal website was a Chevy Malibu or Honda Civic, those sites are 20th Century Motors Dales, built under license by BL.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    deathshadow, Aug 7, 2016 IP
  5. Mehdi.b

Mehdi.b Active Member

Best Answers:
    Again you do not get the point on this, and what I am saying. Yes the god damn objective is to stroke the ego and nothing else, it is a luxury brand that needs to lick some a@#holes and wank some d@#$ to get attention. This is not a website to generate leads, it is not a commercial oriented page at all. It is only and merely there to say see our history and what we had in the most pretentious was possible.The site is NOT for you if you are NOT driving or have the purchasing power to buy one. The website is not to sell anything, this particular website is not for you to go back and find information, it is not there to make you go back for new content, this is for one campaign and after a while will be removed.

That is what you don't get, that is the marketing part of it that you do not understand.It is not supposed to pay for itself in the direct sales oriented you are thinking of. A marketing campaign is not run to sell (not all the time) and this is an example of it, it is the pedigree of such manufacturers (as you called it a VW which I disagree completely) that counts in many cases.

I am working with a super rich client at the moment, he was mad at Porsche because they did not send him one of their latest glossy publications, we picked one up with him and all it is, is just a glossy magazine with NO words or information and just some history about the races and pictures of their cars. What purpose does that serve????? Enlighten me master.

Mehdi.b, Aug 8, 2016 IP
  6. Mehdi.b

Mehdi.b Active Member

Best Answers:
    @deathshadow and @kk5st I was just yanking the chain, this is not even an actual Porsche page, it was set up as a sample by a graduate student with minimal experience in web design. I stand on what I said, because we used this in couple of surveys but at least read the whole damn thing before attacking. Sorry but I was testing stuff and got carried away and didn't mention it, anyway you guys rock and who doesn't enjoy a heated argument.

Mehdi.b, Aug 9, 2016 IP
  7. WebDeveloperOne

WebDeveloperOne Peon

Best Answers:
    Simple flat and mobile friendly designs.

WebDeveloperOne, Aug 11, 2016 IP
  8. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I should point out that it is obvious that the page you linked is a hobby page and as I have said, is of no commercial value. You mentioned testing. You only tested for eye candy. Pretty cars, pretty girls or kittens or babies would all have tested about the same while generating no sales or even return visits. You further mentioned slick, glossy brochures as being good marketing. You are forgetting that the brochures are there in the showroom to help generate a desire to own, and like color swatches, are meant to engage the potential customer. They are not stand-alone marketing tools. They team with actual merchandise on the floor that customers can touch, with media ads and most importantly with sales agents who, in the end, ask for the order. Certainly, media ads build brand awareness and may even make specific offers for you to respond to. But, you don't see the ad because you want to see it and seek it out. No, you're visiting some site for other reasons, or listening to non-subscription radio or TV or reading your Christchurch Daily Blather. A web page that is strictly brand building is simply worthless on its own because the brand is already established enough for someone to bring it up in their browser. It needs to solicit some action; subscription, specific offer, links to dealers, etc..

I realize you're backing away from some of your comments, but one got stuck in my craw; that there was maybe sour grapes on our parts because we couldn't afford such a car. Got news for you, my car back when I was young enough to care about such things was an Oldsmobile Starfire convertible. It cost maybe 25% more than a 356 of the same vintage. I would have liked to have had a Porsche, but needed the size and wanted the luxury of a limited edition car with feature that even Cadillacs lacked. Oh, and my nephew has the car now and it is in showroom condition.

I didn't do without though. I bought a 1960 (5 yrs old) VW Karmann Ghia for a song and ended up installing a Porsche 1600cc fully race prepared engine. A collector friend of mine was able to check its provenance and found it came to the US in a factory team car for the Sebring 12 hour endurance race. The chassis dynomometer said 125hp@6500rpms delivered to the ground, and the Texas highway patrol verified 140mph (233kph) capability. So I ended up with Porsche capabilities with the added advantage that the HP officer didn't think anyone would believe a VW was doing 140. So no ticket.

gary

kk5st, Aug 11, 2016 IP
  9. Mehdi.b

Mehdi.b Active Member

Best Answers:
    Dude you do not understand marketing, I am telling you this wouldn't serve as a selling tool, and again and again you insist there would be no conversions or sales. This could replace a glossy brochure for a generation that is not into paper back publications.
    And no I'm not backing from my argument and still say you are thinking like a programmer not a marketer, and hence you do not see what I see.

Mehdi.b, Aug 14, 2016 IP
  10. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    This is something I actually agree with. A lot of programmers somehow see the design as something of lesser importance. I guess it just goes with the territory. As an example, there's one script I bought and the overall design looks atrocious, but the script is awesome. I was wondering how many more copies the guy would sell if he just changed the design.

qwikad.com, Aug 14, 2016 IP
  11. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What absolute asininity. A print brochure is a part of a coordinated and connected marketing plan. Where the hell is the connectivity with the slick web page that does not encourage or ask for a transaction? It's not there. Do you even know what marketing is actually about? It is about buying and selling. That's it. If you're not doing one or the other, you're not marketing. That slick web page could be a marketing tool for yourself, to show the potential client some of your capabilities while you ask for the order. It's still not an effective web page. It's still a FAIL.

You act like programmers are some sort of dumbasses where marketing is concerned. Obviously you are gormless about web development. A web developer is buried in marketing; choosing illustrations, copy writing, site architecture and page architecture. Every bit of that aimed at selling what the client needs sold. That's not just merchandise, it's information, amusement, ideas and products. The developer has to make it easy for the visitor to find what he came to find, learn what he came to learn and buy what he came to buy. If the site doesn't meet those criteria, it's a FAIL.

The developer is immersed in usability and accessibility issues in a dynamic medium. The common "web designer" has little sense of their importance in marketing the clients' products. Instead of graphic arts and design, the soi-disant web designer should study industrial design. They learn to do "ooh, shiny" instead and they have little or no sense of perceived affordance (if they've even heard of affordance) nor of how the visitor will view or use the page. FAIL.

To repeat myself, if you're not buying or selling, you're not marketing.

gary

kk5st, Aug 14, 2016 IP
  12. c0ngit

c0ngit Active Member

Best Answers:
    i Think this is FLAT Design :D

c0ngit, Aug 15, 2016 IP
  13. Mehdi.b

Mehdi.b Active Member

Best Answers:
    You are still talking about buying and selling and marketing in the same sentence, Marketing is NOT about buying and selling, this was marketing 15 years ago, things have changed. FYI I have been a marketer since 2004, not only I work as marketing consultant, I teach marketing at a university, I have couple of workshops on marketing with tremendous results, so please do not tell me if I know what marketing is. A website simply can do what a brochure does and nothing more, remember there is always an objective behind a good marketing campaign.
    I never said web developers are dumb asses but well they are mostly not marketers. I rest my case in the loop you are repeating yourself on and on about selling and transactions for marketing purposes. You can be the best developer that there is, but not necessarily a marketer which is unfortunately most of the time. On the other hand, I'm a marketer but not a developer, I understand code logic but I'm not a developer and never claim to be.

Mehdi.b, Aug 15, 2016 IP
  14. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Which is why certain aspects of DESIGN are lost on you, and why it is probably in fact hobbling your abilities AS a marketer.

As evidenced by that you probably don't see a single blasted thing wrong with saying "font-size:12px"... or using a garbage webfont like Preston... or putting black text on #95969A when using a webfont... or #B1B1B1 over #565658, or text over images of the same contrast... or insufficient line-heights resulting in broken overlaps... or tables for layout... or gibberish use of numbered headings... or any of the dozens (if not hundreds) of giant middle fingersthe site in your signature is flipping at users. Which is why I pity anyone DUMB ENOUGH to be DUPED into using them for web design or development! ... and the client sites are worse!!!

...Just saying.

I get such a laugh out of these "marketing and design" companies where it's painfully obvious the people who built their sites aren't qualified to be building their own websites, much less sites for clients!

deathshadow, Aug 16, 2016 IP
  15. jameswarner

jameswarner Member

Best Answers:
    Hii
    Hear are some points you must know about web desing trends
    1. Intro
    2. Microinteractions
    3. Cards
    4. Minimalist Design
    5. Flat & Material Design Hybrid
    6. Rich Animations