1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What are the best MAC HTML editors?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by YMC, Jan 5, 2014.

1. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Sucks down space in the taskbar for something useles -- and it just means one simple compile option was left out or they're using some garbage API that failed to account for that. (Probably the latter the way *nix tards dive for the application layers and window management API's because X11 sucks so bad you can't program for it directly). It shows sloppy coding AND gets in the way of using task management properly.

Hmm. Wonder if the 32 bit build doesn't like x64 -- every key you'd expect to type something just 'beeps'... funny thing is it sounds like the old keyboard buffer full speaker beep instead of the normal winblows "ding".

Seems like a pointless extra step if it's a throwaway, like when for example I'm using my text editor to type a forum post since the post boxes are pathetically crippled, or when I'm using them as copy/edit buffers. Sure it has it's own built-in, but they're a pain in the ass to actually use compared to just opening another editor window... which with emacs expects you to associate a file with all of them. Stupid, pointless, garbage.

Oddly I think it's my prejudice against DOS Wordstar, Wordperfect and Edlin more so than my one against Stallman, since I remember emacs being crap LONG before anyone gave a **** who he was. I still rememember when edlin was replaced by "edit" in DOS 5 -- it was a godsend and breath of fresh air after the endless crap default editors that more often than not sent one running for a pad of paper to work with first.

I always found it needlessly and pointlessly convoluted -- but I say the same thing about HTML 3.2 and HTML 5 so...

That was always a laugh -- needing the extra RAM chip so all 8 bits were mapped to the video memory area -- the video hardware and ROM supported lower case, it was the RAM arrangement limiting you.

Most of my TRS-80 time was on a Model III, so it was either SuperScripsit under LDOS 5.14 or Wordmaster under Montezuma Micro CP/M. I always liked MM's CP/M as it was one of the few softwares to let you unmap the system ROM giving you around 60k minus the OS to play with.

deathshadow, Jan 8, 2014 IP
  2. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ok u2, this was fun reminiscing but can we get back to my question now?

Anyone else have suggestions for HTML editing tools for a Mac?

YMC, Jan 8, 2014 IP
  3. Philbeng

Philbeng Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As you can tell from the previous posts the choice of text editor is a bit of a personal thing! So whatever anyone else likes the next person will hate.
    A good Code editor once learned will help speed up your work flow and hence reduce your time at the computer so it seems a bit of a waste of time to spend the time learning to use it properly for only one OS. So my advice would be look for something which is usable on more than one OS then you are less likely to be having the same problem again.
    My advice would be to download and try the popular ones and see which one feels right to you, then make your own choice from there.
    Personally I like Sublime text as I can use it on all the computers in the office and at home, that's linux, windows and there's a mac somewhere but it isn't my favourite OS. It can do just about anything with it's plugin system so it can grow with you. I can also code reasonably well in Vim which although a old fashioned editor it isn't that hard to learn and once you "get it" you can be stunningly fast with it. There are also vim versions which can be set up to work like a normal visual editor "gvim".

Philbeng, Jan 9, 2014 IP
  4. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    @YMC: Forking threads is a common occurrence where opinion, as Philbeng suggested, is involved. Don't let it bother you, rather use the side discussion to broaden your understanding of the merits or faults being argued. For example, ds has a use case where naming a file is a pain for him. It may be a problem for you, too. The answer is to use the *scratch* buffer. Neither you nor ds would know that so easily without the forked conversation, nor would I have thought of that particular issue as I save the files contact forms, etc. which is a similar issue.

Philbeng has a good suggestion; install a bunch of editors that will run on all your machines, and try them out. Don't just pick the one that's easiest to learn or use. That may be a good criterion for your use, or it may indicate that it is lacking in its ultimate power.

If you're a touch typist, you will want an editor that can be used without needing a mouse or other pointing device. Every time you move your hands from the keyboard, you are slowed. Don't ignore the unfamiliar such as Vi/Vim/GVim; or Emacs for that matter.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Jan 9, 2014 IP
  5. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh for sure, any sort of tool is a matter of personal choice.

I like to see what people see as being good or bad about their choices and try to find a happy medium somewhere and start my own trials there. I figured folks in the programming areas on DP are going to have a different perspective on text editors than say writers or the general public. If someone asked me the same question about PC software I would answer HTML Kit and explain why.

I do understand that sometimes a truly no-frills option is best and that any new piece of software has a bit of a learning curve.

I've heard others mention Sublime Text. What do you like about it and what do you think it's missing Philbeng?

YMC, Jan 9, 2014 IP
  6. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @kk5st I don't mind when a thread goes into an interesting tangent. Unfortunately, I've seen where that can keep others from participating and can degrade into the ugly side of these forums. It felt like the two gentleman were quite passionate about their opinions and wasn't sure if it was getting close to falling off the rails.

You definitely have a point about the mouse vs keystroke issue. But, I admit that I have gotten to like the helps embedded in an "HTML editor" versus a "text editor." I don't program all the time. So, it can be months in between. Having the little prompts and command completion is sometimes frustrating but more often helpful.

YMC, Jan 9, 2014 IP
  7. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Can only speak for Emacs; if you open an html or php file, Emacs automagically puts you in html mode which opens a new html menu top level item and sets the keyboard shortcuts to html. You may always set the major mode to anything you wish, but Emacs uses MIME types to set the initial mode. E.g .js will set the mode to javascript, .css, to css mode, etc..

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Jan 9, 2014 IP
  8. Philbeng

Philbeng Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why do I like Sublime..well like you I don't code all the time anymore since I sold up a couple of years ago. I code with allsorts nowadays on the jobs that I do take on for previous clients & some of my own projects. I can be coding in Javascript, html, css, php, sql, c, python I don't have the brain power to remember all the syntax etc.. for every language.

One of Sublimes strongest points is it's plugin system which means I can have code hinting & completion for pretty much any language/framework I need, along with a lot of other features. If it isn't available as a plugin you can write one yourself or suggest it in it's very active forum and normally someone will create it. It's search capabilities are excellent, the fuzzy search is excellent when you can't remember the right naming structure for something, speed for a gui is good.

Vintage mode allows you to use vi keystrokes while editing, which means I don't have to move my fingers from the keys that count, I don't have to go for the mouse or the keypad. It also has the capability like many others to customize pretty much everything, combine that with split windows and multi selection entry means I can get the job done quickly & efficiently.

Most of all it ticked all the boxes for me, allows me to work just about anywhere in a familiar environment and well..just feels right. When I first saw it I thought it was just a over hyped fad like a lot of things in web development nowadays, but eventually tried it & liked it.

If you do a search on Youtube there is a series of videos that shows it in use and some of the most useful plugins to use with it. I think it's from nettuts+

Vim/gvim can also do alot if not all of the above for free with the use of a few plugins.

I've never used Emacs so can't comment on that. I haven't used Coda or textmate, like I say they are limiting to the OS so as far as I am concerned they are of no use to me.

I used to use html kit a few years ago and hadn't realised that it was still available until I read your post. There is also netbeans and aptana which I think are available for the mac but not sure. But they may be overkill for what you want as maybe Sublime is.

Sorry if i've waffled on a bit it's late here now!
    Cheers
    Phil

Philbeng, Jan 9, 2014 IP
  9. John Michael

John Michael Member

Best Answers:
    There are many html editor for mac. I personally use Dreamweaver for window and mac both. Its work pretty. I suggest you some list of html editor for mac.
    Taco editor, Textastic , Coda 2, Komodo edit, Apntana Studio, NetBeans and amaya.

John Michael, Jan 22, 2014 IP