1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What are the benefits of having a directory?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by texisman, Jan 17, 2006.

I know that a lot of people have directory websites and I just wanted to know what are the benefits of having one? Is it PR, traffic, or money from adsense or something? It sounds interesting but I really don't understand what the webmaster of the directory gets in return. From what I see everyone searches Google, Yahoo, or MSN for websites, right. Could someone please educate me on this.:)

texisman, Jan 17, 2006 IP
  2. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Well... I started a directory hoping that it would add more content to my site.

Several months later I had thousands of pages, and only like 50 were indexed at Google. I don't pay any attention to it anymore. Never got a cent out of it either.

fryman, Jan 17, 2006 IP
  3. singaporebeauty

singaporebeauty Active Member

Best Answers:
    what kind of directories? Links directory or articles directory?

singaporebeauty, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  4. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    You get to spam the 1000s of webmasters that submitted.

T0PS3O, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  5. texisman

texisman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was refering to link directories. Serious question TOPS30, do you have a real answer? I hope that's not the main motive!

texisman, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  6. Jufcy8200

Jufcy8200 Banned

Best Answers:
    The main goal of running a directory or ANY website is hopefully to MAKE MONEY - otherwise what is the point?

With that said, running PPC ads on your directory are going to make slim to none profit.

If you really want to earn money you will have to offer paid listings. BUT if you go this route you have to obviously run a successful directory - SEO Friendly, 1,000's of indexed pages, High PR (for those page rank craving webmasters), high traffic, etc. :)

Jufcy8200, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  7. EveryQuery

EveryQuery Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What are the benefits of having a directory?

Well, I get to enjoy spam for breakfast, lunch, and dinner....with spam snacks in between. ;)

EveryQuery, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  8. iBold

iBold Peon

Best Answers:
    It's also great for getting backlinks to your site. Start a topic related directory on your site and require a reciprical link to your index page. The same motivation as link exchanges..

iBold, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  9. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Do believe someone hit it on the head!
    The main benefit of having your own directory, just like a forum and blog, is to collect those email addresses.
    Then once in a while, email them with something.

I have a directory set up now (just put it up a few days ago) and once I get enough links in the directory, will start monetizing it.

Seen new directories, and old ones, that are awful greedy in wanting up front money to add a link....terrible!
    Most of these directories have few links in them obviously.

The Iowa Dawg

iowadawg, Jan 22, 2006 IP
  10. subseo

subseo Guest

Best Answers:
    Email addresses are not the main motivation, though it can't be excluded with select though low percentage of webmasters. Main point is, it's content that you get free - other people write it for you. Many though don't see the other side, it takes lot of time to approve the ever longer queue, that's why many directories soon die out or turn to paid.
    That was speaking about free directories.
    Most others still do it just because of the reciprocal to their main site, or to some of their other sites....

You also see many sites and get inspiration for your own projects....

subseo, Jan 22, 2006 IP
  11. seoaddict

seoaddict Peon

Best Answers:
    The main moto is
    1)Earning money through PPC AD
    2)Selling Links
    3)Earning money through affilates
    etc,..

seoaddict, Jan 22, 2006 IP
  12. SiteExpress

SiteExpress Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I run a blog directory, and my main motive was to learn more about blogging, and to find decent blogs to read.

I do run ppc ads, and they earn enough to pay the hosting, BUT I get to review each and every blog submitted.

Just the other day, my mom was saying how she would love to know how a popular restaraunt makes their bread. I remembered a blog that told just that, along with lots of other recipes. I found it in my directory, and sent her the link.

Call me selfish, but my directory is a great personal resource.

Sure, it would be great if it somehow made me tons of money, but if it doesn't I will always know a website to go and read some really great stuff. Like this one, It's the diary of a 16 year old, and he is an awsome writer.

SiteExpress, Jan 22, 2006 IP
  13. irka

irka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    how much do we get by spamming like that ?

irka, Jan 24, 2006 IP
  14. subseo

subseo Guest

Best Answers:
    I have submitted to hundreds of directories, and was only once sent what's called spam, so far. Some send newsletters, but you can unsubscribe and such request was always honored as far as I can tell from my experience.

Anyway, it is still recommended that most people use throw-away yet attended email addresses for directory submissions.

subseo, Jan 24, 2006 IP
  15. EveryQuery

EveryQuery Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Would agree that you shouldn't be afraid of directories spamming you. Drectory owners get spammed all day, everyday...I would think they would be among the last people to send spam.

EveryQuery, Jan 24, 2006 IP
  16. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Way I look at it, spam from a directory I posted in would be where that directory sent me emails daily.
    Now if the directory sent me an email once a week, or less often, I would not consider that spam.
    I have joined forums and directories where the owners thought that by joining, they could send me emails every day, some a bunch every day!

As my directory at http://www.linkheredirectory.com does not collect emails, anyone posting their links there would not have to worry about me sending them emails.

Another directory, using a different script, I am working on, will have an email function, so there submitters would probably get an email now and then.

My main mission is really just to build up my directory.
    Any income from it would be incidental (probably accidental?).
    Once I get like thousands of links, then I would move on to paid inclusions.

Basically I like to just put up sites, get them halfway going, and move on to another site.

The Iowa Dawg

iowadawg, Jan 24, 2006 IP
  17. SportsOutlaw

SportsOutlaw Active Member

Best Answers:
    My main purpose, short term for my directory is link exchange. I do have ads on their, but no money from them (directory is new)

Long term, I hope to get paid listings and have some revenue from ads. Every little bit ads up.

Gathering email ? Not at all.

SportsOutlaw, Jan 24, 2006 IP
  18. JonRhodesUK

JonRhodesUK Active Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    If you have a big eye on quality, then your directory can be a useful resource for searchers. You can add quality useful sites yourself, and only accept quality useful sites. In particular if your directory is aimed at a niche, then it can be a lot easier for searchers to find useful sites for them than any of the search engines. It can be a useful resource for searchers, and a useful resource for site owners, providing quality is a primary consideration. People will pay to be a part of this - quality businesses that have the resources to pay.

JonRhodesUK, Aug 19, 2009 IP