1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What are the advantages of writing for $4?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by varghesenair, Jan 28, 2010.

I'm a content writer writing for the above price. I was charging above $10 for one article, one year ago. But to be honest, I would say I'm more happy now. There are so many reasons for this. Can anyone guess it? I know many of my friends here are writing for the same price. I want to hear from them? What do you say? Are you people satisfied with this price? Iam waiting to hear from you....

varghesenair, Jan 28, 2010 IP
  2. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Here are the "advantages"

1] You earn less than your work is worth
    2] You spend your life in mediocrity and relative poverty
    3] You underutilize and undersell your talents and skills
    4] You overwork yourself for minor rewards
    5] You add to the numbers of cheap struggling writers
    6] Writers who earn more than you laugh at you
    7] Writers who can't get work blame you as the root of their problem

Well, I could go on and on ................

lightless, Jan 28, 2010 IP
  3. rockyg

rockyg Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you charging $4 for one word? Or just looking to get a few PM's for work now that you've ever so subtly advertised that you'll write articles for $4? Have you any other clever ways to advertise you would like to tell us about?

rockyg, Jan 28, 2010 IP
  4. ReviewWriter

ReviewWriter Peon

Best Answers:
    $4/Article is a decent rate at the beginning, but this is not good to keep on the same rate even after years. As lightless said, your efforts shall be more and the remuneration shall be less. I personally prefer working 2 hours at a rate of $8/Article than working 4 hours at a rate of $4/Article. I charge in between $5-$10/500 words.

Hope this will make you think

ReviewWriter, Jan 28, 2010 IP
  5. niche_lady

niche_lady Peon

Best Answers:
    I used to do rewrites for $4, I totally gave up when my client gave me titles that I was unfamiliar with. I get better payment by doing data entry and research. Another painful fact is when you see your content published with someone's else name on it. I will still copywrite for a higher rate though.

niche_lady, Jan 28, 2010 IP
  6. MoneyWrite

MoneyWrite Member

Best Answers:
    Did you used to write 1,000 word articles, and now they're 50 words?

There's a place for bulk articles, but you have to choose your clients carefully.

MoneyWrite, Jan 29, 2010 IP
  7. csn123

csn123 Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not a writer though I have considered investing in some unique articles.

$4 is a great price but I'd have concerns over quality and quantity of words.

csn123, Jan 29, 2010 IP
  8. Otillier011

Otillier011 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    $5 per article seems to the going rate and I have been getting a regular stream of job requests with this rate. This is my base rate right now although I always look for opportunities that can offer $7 or $8.

Otillier011, Jan 29, 2010 IP
  9. csn123

csn123 Peon

Best Answers:
    That's a bargain :D What sort of word count does $5 buy you?

csn123, Jan 29, 2010 IP
  10. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    $4 is pathetic, whether a writer is a beginner or not. Any serious beginning writer (with even a tiny bit of talent) could be starting at least at $.10 per word. There are NO advantages to writing $4 articles (unless this is some BS like a claim of one-word or few-word so-called "articles"). No matter how you cut it, you're earning less than you could. For the same type of content, which takes the same amount of time to write, and which comes in good quantity from regular clients, you could always be earning more than $4 per article (unless of course you simply suck as a writer and your work truly isn't worth any more than that -- in that case, more power to you).

jhmattern, Jan 29, 2010 IP
  11. katrina47

katrina47 Active Member

Best Answers:
    i have even worked with people who pay only $3 per article
    now i charge little high

katrina47, Jan 30, 2010 IP
  12. TimothyJohn

TimothyJohn Member

Best Answers:
    I myself have yet to hire an article writer or have any personal experience in the field am shocked to find that you get so little for your hard work. I guess in todays economy there are people who will do literally anything to make a few dollars so the industry or article writing for instance must be under great strain. For the link juice that can be generated via a good article matching the submitters niche is worth a lot more then $3 in my opinion. I suggest that you all raise your prices just a few dollars because it is obviously slowly slipping. I myself will offer article writers at least $10 in the future when I begin to need articles written for me because it is obvious that people are relying on the money and that they are currently underpaid. My sympathy goes out to you all.

TimothyJohn, Jan 30, 2010 IP
  13. scheng1

scheng1 Peon

Best Answers:
    $4 for 200 words is still not too bad. I certainly wont accept writing jobs at $4 per article. My top article in Helium has earned more than $12 in passive income in less than a year.

scheng1, Jan 31, 2010 IP
  14. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yeah at $4. you under cut all of your competition.

And if you are clever enough you can make a thread advertzing your cheaper rates and your clueless competetors will keep bumping it to the top of the forum.

Wow much better then the BTS section.:)

averyz, Jan 31, 2010 IP
  15. hannnna

hannnna Peon

Best Answers:
    i hadn,t write any thing yet but in my opion if u deserve to have more than of it so every one should get good amount.It will surely help and motivate them to move on .
    thanks.:)

hannnna, Jan 31, 2010 IP
  16. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Except for the fact that no one with any sense markets services primarily on price. That's only a tactic for people who offer no real value with their writing. It also isn't sustainable. No writer can be Wal-mart. You can't mass-produce and mass-purchase products to offer lower prices. Your time is always limited and has to account for quality of life as well as general income (meaning not forcing the writer to cram in so much garbage content that they burn out -- which many do).

jhmattern, Jan 31, 2010 IP
  17. iajrz

iajrz Peon

Best Answers:
    well, jhmattern, there are countries where average salary a month is around 100 dollars. That'd be 25 articles in a month, or less than one a day, at $4 per article. There are actually people that can do the work an live well in their locales, so it would be "worth it" for them.

Yes, they could be earning a lot more, but then again, $4 a month would mean that cheaper buyers will send jobs, and if they're good (and $4 will still be enough for them, so they can sustain the rate) they'll keep getting the jobs.

Another reason may be because the person who started this thread never got many jobs writing at $10 per article?

iajrz, Jan 31, 2010 IP
  18. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    No, it still isn't worth it. Why? Because in business, you do the best that you can. It's never smart business to settle. I know writers in India who earn even more than I do. And they deserve it! Their English is perfect, and they're fantastic subject matter experts. If you can earn enough consistently to live like a king for the same effort you'd put in to earn $4 per article, you'd be out of your mind to do the latter.

And you're parroting a common misconception -- that better paying articles don't keep coming. They do. And they do with far less effort than those $4 gigs. I charge three figures per articles for basic Web content and even more for features. I haven't had to put any effort into "looking" for work in over a year. Why? Because high paying clients breed more high paying clients. When they find a writer they consider worth the higher rates, they stick with them and keep coming back. They also refer that writer to other departments in their company, colleagues elsewhere, etc., which brings in nice natural referrals for gigs that would never be publicly advertised (how the bulk of the writing world works -- it's not about the advertised jobs -- it's about your network and referrals if you want to get out of the bottom of the barrel). There is absolutely no excuse for any writer worth their salt to accept $4 per article, no matter where they live. Those who are worth more will earn it. Only those who aren't will stay there.

jhmattern, Jan 31, 2010 IP
  19. iajrz

iajrz Peon

Best Answers:
    Love your insight.
    And makes sense, too. So there would be no benefit in such a thing as too low a fare if you are a good writer.

So maybe the advantage they're talking about is that they're working less? Or maybe someone tasked them with writing an article on the good things of writing cheap articles and they wanted some ideas :D

iajrz, Jan 31, 2010 IP
  20. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Jhmattern- No offence but you keep saying "I" "I" write for some much "I" Know this guy "I" work in an invisible market.

That’s all fine and dany for YOU. But lots of other people are in the common market places making .001 a word. A market dictates the price. And on DP many people are writing for .001 a word.

We all hear tons of marketing hype-
    Some guy becomes a millionaire reselling cheap homes, that’s nice but most of the population will only make a modest return.
    Another guy makes millions off of ebay, that's nice also but most people will make the average small amount.

I think a lot of these people are referring to the average everyday Internet market for articles. Maybe in your "invisible" market things are a lot different but I really don't think most people don't live and work there.

averyz, Jan 31, 2010 IP