1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What are some advice for hiring developer from freelancer?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by JoeBiz1, May 18, 2014.

I posted a project with wordpress. Most of the features from the site will be done by using plugins. What type of milestone should I set? Some freelancers want a milestone of the full amount and some want it for only $50- $100 bucks. The project average is around $750 but there are some lower bids. With the completion ranging from 5- 20 days. I don't want to tie up some much money into a milestone only to be screwed out of it. I have heard of many people complaining about losing their milestone and fee to freelancer and their accounts suddenly closed. Any advice on the milestone I should be willing it place on the job? Thanks in advance.

JoeBiz1, May 18, 2014 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know enough about Freelancer, but isn't it possible to set several milestones?
    Milestone 1: basic functionality, specific plugins installed, etc. - $150
    Milestone 2: any themeing finished, smaller modifications etc. - $350
    Milestone 3: finished, full functionality, all themes and plugins done - $750

Or, maybe more, depending on what you need to be done, and such

PoPSiCLe, May 18, 2014 IP
    matt_62 likes this.
  3. JoeBiz1

JoeBiz1 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thank you. I will look into it. I never done anything with Freelancer before. Thanks once again for your reply. :)

JoeBiz1, May 18, 2014 IP
  4. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I never plan to return to freelancer.

To be honest, the best idea is to approach legitimate companies in your local area and have them quote on it. The advantage of a legitimate company is that you can get them to sign an agreement that they wont sell your finished script off to others (when you paid for development). Even if paying locally costs 10%-20% more, chances are that you are likely to be 100% happier.

If you do go ahead with freelancer, popsicle is correct with his outline. Sometimes, when I hire people privately (not in freelancer)I have paid milestones out to developers at things like PSD's, then PSD to html, HTML to wordpress, then for specific stages.

I think best advice for freelancer, is dont take the lowest bid. Always hire the member with the best reputation. Hiring someone from the same country (and similar timezone) also means that there are less communication issues, and this has been the most frustrating thing is waiting hours for a reply (as they are sleeping) and likewise, when they want to ask a quick question, if I am sleeping, the project ends up being delayed another day, simply due to timezones.

Always be patient with deadlines. Its common for freelancers to place dozens of bids and not get a single project, and then suddenly go from no projects to being flooded with projects.

matt_62, May 18, 2014 IP
  5. JoeBiz1

JoeBiz1 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the of information. I'm working with the guy who quoted me $500. I broke the payments in 3 of $150, $175 and $175. He wants to advance the first first of $150 at start of accepting before anything done because he has fees (which freelancer.com charge them at the start of winning a project bid). First time experience with such; i hate this...

Should I advance him just the $50 fee to cover the amount freelancer.com is charging him at the start?

JoeBiz1, May 23, 2014 IP
  6. Mikhail19

Mikhail19 Member

Best Answers:
    Yes. It will be fair. Otherwise Freelancer.com will start bombarding your guy with threatening emails (if his balance got negative).

Mikhail19, May 24, 2014 IP
  7. TIEro

TIEro Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'd go with the $50. Set it as the first milestone, then do three more as before, with VERY carefully defined requirements. That way he's not out of pocket (according to the fees page) but you're not throwing $100 at a random person in the hope that they don't disappear.

Put the first 2 milestones' money into escrow, release the first $50. That way, the other $100 is there and available (and he can see that), but you're not giving it away.

The last two times I hired people to do dev work, I had one disappear with no reason on an hourly job (so no way to get my money back and no working site - learned THAT lesson fast!), and the other delivered something completely different to what I asked for (because their so-called experience was really just setting up a blog template and personalising it, not dev work).

The best advice I would give, in addition to what others have said, is to make absolutely damned sure that your requirements documents are accurate and complete. Know PRECISELY what you want before you start. Make sure the dev knows EXACTLY what you expect of them at each stage - how it works, what it looks like, the process flow, what they have to include, what database it uses, whether it keeps data separate or in with the rest of the app's data, etc.

The more time you spend on your requirements doc, the less chance you have of getting really badly screwed.

Good luck!

Edit: I also wouldn't hire on Freelancer - I'd use Elance. I find it has better-quality people, but that's just my experience.

TIEro, May 24, 2014 IP
  8. JoeBiz1

JoeBiz1 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    So it didn't work out between that freelancer covering his $50 fee wasn't enough he wanted me to release the who $150 without anything done. I didn't feel comfortable with that so I decided not to do business with him. Thanks for all advice. Much appreciation. :)

JoeBiz1, May 24, 2014 IP
  9. Jake The Competition Man

Jake The Competition Man Active Member

Best Answers:
    I understand your concerns but usually the same "fear" has the freelancer. He could do the job and after weeks of work you could just say what he's done is crap. That's all, he lost time, you didn't lose money. But wasn't fair for him.

10. TIEro

TIEro Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've had people demand 100% up-front and refuse anything less... and I do the same as you. If they don't want to be reasonable, it's their loss. Paying the fees up-front and having a quick first milestone should be sufficient for anyone, especially if you're paying into escrow before any work starts.

TIEro, May 25, 2014 IP
  11. championsport

championsport Active Member

Best Answers:
    I can't speak about eLancer because I have only actually ever used oDesk but they're the same company now so... yeah. If you're doing a short term project with milestones then yes it's a very good idea. If you're doing a long term project then i say stay away. I got screwed over big time and I am no still looking for developer that wants to partner to finish the project. Just my 2 cents!

championsport, May 29, 2014 IP