1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What are legalities of video streaming sites?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by webwowster, Jan 30, 2009.

Hi there is so much conflicting information about the legalities of sites where people can watch tv series or movies. Some say that as long as the videos are being hosted on another site it is 100% legal. I am not so sure. Hoping someone can clear this up for me. If I was to start or buy one of these sites could I be breaking the law?

webwowster, Jan 30, 2009 IP
  2. Suziclue

Suziclue Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Id' like to know also! Good question

Suziclue, Jan 30, 2009 IP
  3. reelstuff

reelstuff Active Member

Best Answers:
    Good question, I have some thoughts on this, however it really depends on where you live and where the server is located.

This is indeed complicated.

The idea that just because the content is hosted on another website that is is legal is nonsense.

As the owner of a website, you do have some responsibility in what that website displays.

The real question, is two fold, where you live and the rules and regulations that may be currently in place that directly effect your rights to show movies or other content.

For the most part this is all a grey area,

You have to balance, most of this logically, most of the time people just do not care, more so if your website is a little fish in a big pond.

However, if you website, becomes a larger fish in a smaller pond, you might get noticed.

It is possible that you could face some difficulty, but really the chances of that happening are about 2 percent.

So it is about taking a chance, (if you proceed in the present course.)

You can also make a legal statement that would basically absolve you from content that is posted by other people.

(get some legal advice, before doing anything like this)

that is the bottom line, qualified legal advice, from an attorney in your area.

(disclaimer)
    this has not been legal advice nor has it been suggested that this may or may not be legal advice, the aforementioned author may or may not be licensed by the bar in the provision of the aforementioned jurisdiction and as such cannot be considered valid and or legal commitment in any sense of the word.

reelstuff, Jan 30, 2009 IP
  4. webhost.uk.net

webhost.uk.net Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good explanation you are very right on this part.. It depend on the location you live and your server locations and the laws of that country.

webhost.uk.net, Jan 30, 2009 IP
  5. HolyRoller

HolyRoller Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, for example you might be able to host a video in one country and watch it in say the US, but not the UK and vice-versa. Also many scripts offer the facility to download the video, which adds another issue.

I looked into streaming music a while back with the intention of doing it legitimately and it was so complex especially when you involve other countries. It became a logistical nightmare. There were ways to avoid a lot of the costs, by hosting in different locations and redirecting people from certain countries to different servers, but way to much hassle.

HolyRoller, Jan 30, 2009 IP
    Smyrl likes this.
  6. andytong82

andytong82 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a blog that offer online movies and tv episodes streaming from megvideo, zshare, supernova and such, and download links from megaupload and rapishare. I am interested in this topic, I see a lot of blogs/websites has it. Either by linking or embedding the video. Which is worst linking or embedding??

andytong82, Jan 31, 2009 IP
  7. webwowster

webwowster Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your replies guys, i think i will go on the side of caution and avoid this kind of site. andytong82, from the research i have done so far it seems it is alot worse to embed the video on your own site. I have chatted to a few people trying to sell these kind of sites and they all come back with that its perfectly legal if its only a link to another site and its not hosted on your own server. But other people have said this is a load of rubbish. Infact one website owner i was talking to said that he hosts in "offshore accounts". Me being a newbie, i said "what is that" he said "Nothing at all, I have to go"! Pretty dodgey if u ask me

webwowster, Feb 1, 2009 IP
  8. andytong82

andytong82 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the info!

andytong82, Feb 1, 2009 IP