1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What are are the best domain names & hosting packages?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by SKE11, Jan 1, 2006.

Hi

Sorry I know this is realy basic begginers stuff and I feel a fool even asking but I do want to do this right.

I am looking into the possibility of making a number of small sites to take advantage of some affiliate programs I have joined and adsense

Can anyone explain in detail the best / cheapest way of getting a large number of domain names and the space to host them? The hosting company I use at the moment charges me £26 a year for hosting and a .co.uk domain name, some restrictions apply, and I would wish in the new year to be making 40 – 50 such sites.

SKE11, Jan 1, 2006 IP
  2. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    There are a number of domain registrars and each run specials at various times. Depending on the TLD's you want, there can be some big differences on extensions like .info ($1.79 and up). Dot coms are usually more, but plenty of registrars in the $7-9 range.

For hosting, you want either a reseller account or an account with unlimited addon domains. Asmallorange.com (no affiliation) has unlimited domains starting at $2.50 a month - but it really depends on the bandwith your sites will need. They even have a new program for lifetime hosting for a one time cost of $150. They are one of the best hosts I have found (I use 6). There tech support is excellent and down time is minimal- but there are others just as good. You could also look at getting a VPS if you need a lot of bandwidth.

A reseller account will look like a seperate account for each domain - where addons will have one main account. There is no difference for SERPS or how the domain will display. A reseller account would make selling a site easier because you could just give the password to the buyer without them having access to your other sites. I have both, but actually prefer addons - but I don't sell sites or hosting. If you don't know what you are doing, a reseller acount might be better, but it will cost slightly more.

I would really suggest starting with one or two sites and then go from there. Affiliate only programs can have SERP issues because of duplicate content (more so now) and it is probably going to take some time to get things going. Don't expect to throw up a site and watch the sales roll in. Affiliate programs can be very tough and a lot of people get discouraged and abandon the idea. A few make a lot of money - usually ones that have extensive customizing done to them. I would plan on making very little money for AT LEAST six months. If it happens quicker, you'll be surprised. I think too many people expect immediate results. Adsense is not a get rich quick program.

mjewel, Jan 1, 2006 IP
  3. pairbrother

pairbrother Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    from where do u get .info for $1.79+ now? I want to reg a few, wud be helpful if u point out some registrar who accepts paypal, thxn

pairbrother, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  4. frankm

frankm Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I was looking for something simalar: multiple domains on one account and I found a company that seems , so far, offer good services.

the basics: euro 7.50 / mnth. 25 domains hosted, 510 GB traffic/mnth, 25GB diskspace. I got 5 minor sites there now, all running ok

anyways, check them out using this link to give me + you 2500MB extra storage:
    http://www.servage.net/?coupon=cust15678

or use this link if you don't want to use an affiliate link:
    http://www.servage.net/

frankm, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  5. sixty6

sixty6 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    If you want hosting with a specific company and they offer domain registration, use their domain registration services. That is much easier. However, if you want to host with a company and they don't offer domains, just register one with a cheap company like Yahoo! Domains and change the nameservers to point to your hosting company. Here is the link for Yahoo! Domains:
    http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/domains/

sixty6, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  6. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Registerfly does .info's for $2.79, but they run specials during the week for $1.79 or $1.25 for 50 or more.

mjewel, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  7. frankm

frankm Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Check prices too! Some hosting companies 'give away' hosting, but charge like $30 for a .COM domain...

Hosting and Domain registration are two different things and you should be able to buy each from different suppliers, if you want.

frankm, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  8. comp71

comp71 Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    For Domains registerfly is one of the cheapest, but don't expect great support. For web hosting, I like hostgator.com They are competitive at about $10 per month but really do offer great customer support if you have problems and very easy to use

comp71, Jan 6, 2006 IP
  9. poseidon

poseidon Banned

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I don't know much about all this buying and selling domains too :eek:

can someone tell me a good hosting site which offers cheap space :D but good upgrading plans and may also how can I buy domains ?

My requirements are at present I just need only one domain with 75-100 MB space and 3 - 5 GB bandwidth with couple of email accounts. I may also need PHP and MySQL and cPanel :p

Thanks

poseidon, Jan 6, 2006 IP