1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What’s in a keyword…

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by FFMG, Oct 28, 2005.

Almost every post here talks about how important content is. And I admit that it is, the better the content, the higher the posible return.
    And to maximize your return you should choose a good keyword.

But this is where I get a bit confused, (not that hard to do, I know :) ).

If your chosen keyword is "bicycle", how do you use it?
    I would understand if you had a website talking about bicycles, the content is likely to attract the keyword "bicycle" to your door, but nothing else. Repeating the word "bicycle" will not make the slightest difference.

Or am I misunderstanding what choosing a keyword is really all about?

FFMG

FFMG, Oct 28, 2005 IP
  2. kawebspy

kawebspy Peon

Best Answers:
    To use the keyword bicycle on your site. Create a content about it. And of course as you write the content, you are forced to mention bicycle on almost every paragraph you've made.

kawebspy, Oct 28, 2005 IP
  3. GADOOD

GADOOD Peon

Best Answers:
    A good keyword is a specific, targetted one.

Bicycle is very broad.

You need keywords that you can understand the visitors needs from, then you can supply them with what they're after. That equals high conversions.

Eg. 'Bicycle Tyre'
    + Content on Bicycle Tyres + AdSense

Highly relevant to what they're after thus a high CTR and conversion rate.

Pete

GADOOD, Oct 28, 2005 IP
    TheNetCode and yfs1 like this.
  4. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    Gadood, you're starting to make a habit of this -- good quality posts :D
    Gadood is correct, the better tagetted a keyword is to your page, the better tagetted an ad is.

It might be easier to think of 'keyphrase' rather than single 'keyword'.
    Most people when they talk about a 'keyword' aren't actually referring to a single word, but rather to a phrase. Like 'bicycle tyre' rather than 'bicycle' even more specific would be 'raleigh bicycle tyre' etc etc

jlawrence, Oct 28, 2005 IP
  5. DanHall

DanHall Guest

Best Answers:
    I've got an idea in my head about purposely making a unique keyword/phrase which is not all that popular at first but then becomes popular later on. I explain this in what I call a "Build" which I've set up a site or three with.

I feel it's very catchy and more and more will search it as it catches on. Does that make any sense to you who are much more experienced that i?

Dan

DanHall, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  6. IamNed

IamNed Peon

Best Answers:
    I dunno....a word?

IamNed, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  7. TheNetCode

TheNetCode Peon

Best Answers:
    Make sure your keywords are not general as often. Try using more specific ones such as a brand or a few brands that are recognized as leaders and are searched for specifically by their followers. This gives you the added benefit of even more targeted traffic and if you can show you are an expert in the area the word of mouth alone will make your site worth its weight in gold.

TheNetCode, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  8. my44

my44 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to be honest, by the time I've done my 4th website, I no longer fill in the <meta keyword> stuff in my code.

Prior to that, I followed the meta-keyword recommendation religiously but IMHO, I found out it does not carry that much weight.

In short, your content is MORE important than stuffing a bunch of keywords that you dream about. Many times already I've seen putting a lot of stuff in meta-keyword doesn't necessarily result in the ads you want.

My cheap 2-cent click :)

my44, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  9. The Webmaster

The Webmaster IdeasOfOne

Best Answers:
    Pete has many cool things to say when he is not on his fu**-All Mission
    -Mike Dammann, DP forum, 2005​

The Webmaster, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  10. lonecrow

lonecrow Peon

Best Answers:
    I have thought a bit about this getting out in front of the competition idea. I started by reading hte NYTimes each morning and looking for subject matter that was not well served on-line. eg. SEO crowd hadn't spamed it yet.

Of course with daily news this would require a blog or site that was crawled everyday by googlebot and even then you might not get your content into the index fast enough. I have a few ideas about other content that I can publish ahead of a wave. Mostly its a gamble like trying to cover every spot on a roulette table. Sorry I can't share the content ideas themselves as that would defeat the purpose :)

lonecrow, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  11. DanHall

DanHall Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm thinking we are the ones that can make the keyword a household name and we all can prosper by it. The keyword is 'gasolineincome' and as more use it in their sites (as a meta name etc.) the more it shows us uniting in order to fight against high oil prices. It will excite the public. It will bring more people into online network marketing.

DanHall, Nov 27, 2005 IP
  12. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    I still put them in, and optimize them for the keywords on the page.. but I doubt they help much anymore. Can't hurt though as long as done properly, so better than nothing.

mdvaldosta, Nov 27, 2005 IP