1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Weird visits from Google

Discussion in 'SEO' started by fryman, Mar 5, 2005.

Ok, I got hit hard during the recent Google update. Every single one of my keywords vanished from their wonderful top-10 rankings. Over 10 months of hard work down the drain.

So, I just forget about that site and move on focusing on my other sites. Today I check my logs, and I see several visitors coming from Google. Weird thing is that the log say that they are coming from the first page of results. However,when I do a direct check at Google, my keywords are nowhere to be found. Where are these visitors coming from? :confused:

fryman, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  2. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Are your logs giving you the IP of the DC, or just Google.com? Could be datacenter flux that's screwing ya up.

Infiniterb, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  3. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Just says "google.com".

Crossing my fingers... :)

fryman, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  4. Infiniterb

Best Answers:
    Have you tried using the tools at www.mcdar.net more specifically the datacenter quick check tool?

5. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    I've never understood that tool. I just started fooling around with it and it seems that on many datacenters one of my keywords is #16, however, at the "real" Google it is not there. :confused:

Checking more keywords I also see movement... is there another serps update around the corner???

fryman, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  6. Infiniterb

Best Answers:
    When you use the tool and see where it's ranked 16. Make note of the IP addresses. Copy and paste one of the IP addresses. That will display Google.com. From there search for your keyword and look at around the 16th result. You should be listed there.

You can also see what DC you're on by going to google.com and looking at the url of the cached results of pages. It'll list an IP address in the cached url instead of the Google.com address.

7. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Fryman, looks like the "filter" which has dropped your rankings on the main datacenter on Google is not turned on the other data centers, or Google is updating it's DCs - it's anyone guess.

I was filtered out of the results, allinanchor etc I was top 10, the actual rankings I was in the 100's.. then last week I noticed the DCs starting to change, and KW's appearing back in their original positions.. then a week later they appeared in the main DC and I'm ranking what I was prior to this filter thingy in December.

DarrenC, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  8. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe that's what happens when you write blog articles like "Kiss My Butt, Google"? :eek:

minstrel, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  9. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    LMAO!

Well... when Google gives me back my rankings I will change it to something like "I love Google" :D

fryman, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  10. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    fryman, you really need to go back and re-take the course "Sucking Up To Google 101" -- you've completely misunderstood the concept.

minstrel, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  11. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Yeah, maybe I should go over to WMW and kiss up to Googleguy like all the other guys do :)

My traffic is slowly flowing back from Google again... can't wait for my keywords to come back. 50% in traffic decrease is something hard to manage.

fryman, Mar 5, 2005 IP