1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Weird problem writing json result to file

Discussion in 'PHP' started by PoPSiCLe, Jun 18, 2016.

I'm trying to make sure I only pull information from an external resource when it's not already there, and therefore I'm trying to write the result to a file if the file isn't already there.

I use the following code:

if (file_exists($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/utilities/holidays_'.$file_date.'.json')) {
           $get_holidays_year_and_month = file_get_contents($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/utilities/holidays_'.$file_date.'.json', true);
         } else {
           $write_to_file = json_decode(file_get_contents('http://holidayapi.com/v1/holidays?country=NO&year='.$request_year.'&pretty'));
           file_put_contents($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/utilities/holidays_'.$file_date.'.json',$write_to_file);
           $get_holidays_year_and_month = file_get_contents($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/utilities/holidays_'.$file_date.'.json',true);
         }

PHP:
    It works, apart from the fact that it doesn't write anything to the file - it creates the file, but the file is empty, and I'm wondering if that's because it returns a stdObject - if that's it, how do I create something I can put into the file?

No errors returned, nothing says it doesn't work, but for some reason, there's nothing in the file after it gets written.

If I var_dump() the $write_to_file variable before the file_put_contents(), it contains the expected result.

PoPSiCLe, Jun 18, 2016 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    And, of course, right after I post it here, I get an epiphany, and remember what I've forgotten. Here's working code:

if (file_exists($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/utilities/holidays_'.$file_date.'.json')) {
           $get_holidays_year_and_month = unserialize(file_get_contents($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/utilities/holidays_'.$file_date.'.json', true));
         } else {
           $write_to_file = json_decode(file_get_contents('http://holidayapi.com/v1/holidays?country=NO&year='.$request_year.'&pretty'));
           file_put_contents($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/utilities/holidays_'.$file_date.'.json',serialize($write_to_file));
           $get_holidays_year_and_month = unserialize(file_get_contents($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/utilities/holidays_'.$file_date.'.json',true));
         }

PHP:
    serialize() and unserialize(), if you can't see the difference.

PoPSiCLe, Jun 18, 2016 IP
  3. Nei

Nei Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, such things happen)) It's useful sometimes to take a break and the decision of the problem appears by itself)

and let me give you just a little advice - I think that way will be little better :)

if (!file_exists($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/utilities/holidays_'.$file_date.'.json')) {
        file_put_contents($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/utilities/holidays_'.$file_date.'.json',serialize($write_to_file));
    }
    $get_holidays_year_and_month = unserialize(file_get_contents($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/utilities/holidays_'.$file_date.'.json', true));
    PHP:

Nei, Jul 8, 2016 IP
  4. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    True - I have a tendency to overcomplicate some things sometimes :)

PoPSiCLe, Jul 8, 2016 IP