1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Weird problem with fonts in Adobe Photoshop

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by glitto, Jul 8, 2008.

Hi all,

I am facing a weird problem with my Photoshop CS2.

I have many fonts installed in my computer and they all appear in Photoshop.. but when I have used them in a file and open that file next time... Photoshop shows an EXCLAIMATION mark on many fonts (Exclaimation mark is usually shown on those fonts which are not installed in my computer).

When I click on that text layer it gives a message that

Editing or redering the text layer <font name> will cause its layout to change

continue?

However when I click on YES to continue the font doesn't change because it is already installed.

It happens everytime I open a file.

Does anybody know what is going on? :confused::confused:

Please help.

glitto, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  2. Norebbo

Norebbo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Are the PSD files from earlier (pre CS2) versions? That might be the culprit.

Norebbo, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  3. glitto

glitto Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nope, the files are not from the old version.

I have Photoshop CS2 9.0.2 version and in this version whenever I created a new file and open it photoshop shows exclamation mark on text layers.

May be I should re-install Photoshop, what you think, will it solve the problem?

glitto, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  4. Varelse

Varelse Peon

Best Answers:
    If the exclamation mark signs are grey, I wouldn't worry about them. If you want to edit a text layer, just update it. If this message annoys you, you can turn it off.

Varelse, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  5. glitto

glitto Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly.. the exclamation mark is grey... and I have already turned off the update message.

But the point is that "Why Photoshop is not recognising the installed fonts?"

glitto, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  6. Varelse

Varelse Peon

Best Answers:
    If the icon is grey, the fonts are apparently recognized, because if they were not, the sign would be yellow and you'd get a "missing fonts" error message.
    The text layers only have to be updated, and if as you say, the file has been made on the same system and program version - updating should not alter the look of the text.
    You can update all the text layers, and once the file is saved, the grey icons should not re-appear.

Varelse, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  7. glitto

glitto Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, Photoshop used to ask for the "Text Layers Update" every time I opened a file... I was getting annoyed of this msg so I turned the msg alert OFF.

But after that it is not updating the text and showing grey exclamation mark... even I save the file and open again it again shows grey exclamation :(

I think I should have re-installed the Photoshop and see what happens.

glitto, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  8. Varelse

Varelse Peon

Best Answers:
    No need to reinstall it, it's not going to change this. Also it is NOT a problem.
    Just select from the menu: Layer / Type / Update all text layers. THEN save and it won't show again.

Varelse, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  9. PeartreeUK

PeartreeUK Peon

Best Answers:
    I get that quite a lot. I think its because photoshop has to re-read the font directory so will display an error until it reads it again.

PeartreeUK, Jul 8, 2008 IP