1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Weird Google page on my server

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by wibr, Dec 30, 2005.

Ok, I'm hoping someone here will know what this page is. It showed up on my live server on one of my sites. No one has access to that server (I hope!) except me and my web hosting company.

Here's the file: GOOGLE9---------------------.html

The dashes represent a long string of numbers and letters that I didn't want to post because I was unsure about the security of it.

The file is located in the root. It contains nothing at all. No html, no code of any kind, just a blank page.

Does anyone have any idea what that is?

I use google analytics, so is it possibly related to that? And how in the heck does a file just appear on my server?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

wibr, Dec 30, 2005 IP
  2. Skinny

Skinny Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea that looks like a file that you had to include to verify Google analytics.

(not to sure because I couldn't use it) However, for Google Sitemaps I had to do that.

So if you use sitemaps then that could be why. Do you ever remember creating this file?

Its purpose is to verify.

Skinny

Skinny, Dec 30, 2005 IP
  3. wibr

wibr Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmm, I honestly can't remember, but I do know I had to jump through some hoops when I setup Analytics. And yeah, I use sitemaps. :) I think you're right. I probably put it there. I suppose I'm having a brain cramp and I completely forgot it.

I'm gonna go have another cup of coffee... I need it.

THANKS for the help Skinny!

wibr, Dec 30, 2005 IP
  4. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    That is correct, that is the file you place on your site to verify your site so you may see the extended stats.

ServerUnion, Dec 30, 2005 IP