1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Weird Character on Website Title

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Peoney, Mar 5, 2013.

Hi does anyone experience this? - When I click the title of the post to open it i can see the title of the website have an extra character that looks like an A with a crown. This character follows the Website Title. For example if the website Title is Flower and the post title is Rose flower it should be Flower >> Rose Flower. at the top of the browser.
    But lately it becomes - Flower A (A with crown) >> Rose Flower I don't know what this is.

Peoney, Mar 5, 2013 IP
  2. themes4all

themes4all Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    is this happen on your website or in your browser!? can you please explain !?

themes4all, Mar 5, 2013 IP
  3. wiicker95

wiicker95 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You left us out on the cold so we can only guess here, but the most obvious answer you'll be getting, another question to be more specific, is : Did you escape your greater-than signs? If you didn't, you should. Write "Flowers > > Roses" instead.

By the way, is your title dynamically generated by some sort of a variable or a function?
    If it is, you should look into that. Maybe the the last letter of your website title has an accent, or it's some weird glyph - escape that one too.

wiicker95, Mar 5, 2013 IP
  4. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The surest way to get an authoritative answer on this one is to post a link. My first guess is a character encoding mismatch. To test that out requires us to see the actual server output, including http headers.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Mar 5, 2013 IP
  5. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    By "crown over it" I assume you mean a circumflex, tilde, carat or some other extended character. If you cannot find any extra characters in the code or on the back end, the most likely cause is a character encoding mismatch... Your code is sending one character set, the mime-type is set to another.

But as Gary said, without us seeing the page in question, we are all guessing wildly.

That said, as a rule of thumb I advise AGAINST using greater than or less than signs, much less most of the extended characters in a title. If a hyphen (minus sign) is good enough for the browser to put the browser name after the title, it should be good enough for your site to use too; that way it's CONSISTENT.

I never really understood why people use things like vertical breaks or, right angle quotes, greater than signs, etc, etc, as their title delimiters -- they all look like arse and aren't consistent with what the browsers themselves do there!

deathshadow, Mar 6, 2013 IP