1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Weird Activity on Google API Returns?

Discussion in 'Google API' started by DrHogie, Mar 17, 2004.

Hello. I found this forum from a link in digitalpoint's responses on Google's API newsgroup, and I hope someone can help me work on this problem I'm having.

I'm wanting to use the API to track, day to day, the standings of our sites and our competitors sites in the top 100 standings for our set of keywords. I have the script written in CLI PHP using the nusoap library. It's worked fine, up until recently (tho I don't think the script is at fault).

Up until February 2004, our results mirrored what you would find in a Google search -- that is, in any given range of 10 (11-20, 21-30, etc.), a given .com site would only show up twice within that range. During February 2004, the API started listing different pages on our site 8-9 times in a row (i.e. results 24-31). While I understand this may be the way these pages are stored in Google, by default Google limits the groupings to 2 per viewed page.

Is this a problem with the API, or are the API results the true "raw" standings within Google? And if these are the "true raw" standings, is there anyway to get the API to send me exactly what a customer would see?

-----

Also, as a second question: Is there a bonafide list of datacenters, and a way to get the API to go to a specific datacenter? I ask this, because I saw the thread elsewhere on this forum about the new PageRank/BackLink information, and the exact IP address you gave to get this information. Between that and your keyword tool, it showed us as #1 for the keyword "antenna tuner". However, when I searched for that keyword on google.com from our business DSL line, this AM it returned our site as #1, but this PM it returned us out of the top 100. I verified it was a datacenter problem by checking google.com from different shell accounts as well as the IP address listed in the other thread.

How big of a problem is it to find totally different results like that?
    Is there anyway to check which datacenters have which set of data?
    And overall, how many of Google's users are seeing the "bad" data? (i.e. data that does not have us at #1 -- from my check, 5 sites were getting us as #1 and only our DSL was showing the competitor at #1).

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Josh Hogan

DrHogie, Mar 17, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The only way I've *ever* seen more than two results per domain is if you turn the filter option off. Whether or not it's nusoap doing it inadvertently, I'm not sure (I've never used it). Whatever you are seeing is *not* an issue with the Google API servers though. Everything seems pretty normal on this end.

For data centers, this tool is pretty useful... but I don't think anyone has a master list of every possible data center outside of Google. I did notice you can make API queries to any data center you want (without going to api.google.com), but I haven't really tested it enough to say if it's actually pulling data from the specific data center, or being routed somewhere else on the backend.

That being said, any reason you want to make your own rank checker (ours is free, as you know).

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Mar 17, 2004 IP
  3. DrHogie

DrHogie Guest

Best Answers:
    First, by turning the filter option off, is that something in the nusoap and/or PHP script I made that I'm doing inadverantly? If so, what's the flag for turning filtering on?

As far as our own tools, yours is FAR more advanced than the hack I made :) I just found your keyword tool today, and I'm using it to track our bigger ones. One reason for our own is so we can keep a database, day to day, of all top 100 results. This is overkill, but this is also mainly so we can track our competitors, and also Google activity over time. Also, we want to track more than one page and specific pages in our site (i.e., the antenna tuner overall category, and also our specific antenna tuner pages). This may be an option with your tool -- I must admit I've only given it a 15 minute look, but I love what I've seen so far :)

I'm hoping to check out the site (and this forum) at length tonight or tomorrow in a greater detail.

Thanks again,
    Josh

DrHogie, Mar 17, 2004 IP
  4. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Since I've never used nusoap, I don't know if it's something within there or not. But if you want to post the PHP call you are making to nusoap, I'll take a look at it for you.

As far as they keyword tracker, it can do all that for you... Some people track over 1,000 keywords in their single account without any problems.

To track competitors, simply put their domain and the same keywords you are tracking for your site(s). The system will automatically plot all ranking trends historically on a single chart for as many URLs you want (that have the same keyword/phrase).

If you want to do a specific page instead of a domain, simply enter the full URL you want to track. The system does a pattern match, so you can do just domain or full URL.

- Shawn

5. DrHogie

DrHogie Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm an idiot.

Looking in my script, I found the CreateParams function (I hobbled this script together from another script I found online). There is a 'filter' that was set to 'false'. I'm resetting that, and checking the results over the next few days.

Thanks for the advice on where to look Shawn :)

DrHogie, Mar 17, 2004 IP
  6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Be happy it's that easy. :)

- Shawn

7. DrHogie

DrHogie Guest

Best Answers:
    Well, the results this morning were still non-filtered. So I've tried changing the array in PHP, but still with no help. I've tried changing the value of "filter" to a boolean true and the string "true" with no luck. I've looked in the Google API docs, but they don't say what the field is (they do say that the SafeSearch param is boolean).

function CreateParams($query,$startno)
    {
      $params = array(
            'key' => 'yourkeyhere',
            'q' => "$query",
            'start' => $startno,
            'maxResults' => 10,
            'filter' => true,
            'restrict' => '',
            'safeSearch' => false,
            'lr' => 'lang_en',
            'ie' => '',
            'oe' => ''
            );
      return $params;
    }

Code (markup):
    EDIT: I also found the specific SOAP message sent, and the variable appears to be working properly. From the above params code, the following is sent:

<filter xsi:type="xsd:boolean">1</filter>
    <restrict xsi:type="xsd:string"></restrict>
    <safeSearch xsi:type="xsd:boolean">0</safeSearch>

Code (markup):
    EDIT #2: One more quick edit: After going through the SOAP response, I found this:

<documentFiltering xsi:type="xsd:boolean">false</documentFiltering>

Code (markup):
    I assume this means the aboev filtering request sent did not take. Any thoughts?

DrHogie, Mar 18, 2004 IP
  8. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    For my queries, it works when it's sent as:

<filter xsi:type="xsd:boolean">true</filter>

So I would change to to be a string instead of a boolean value.

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Mar 18, 2004 IP
  9. DrHogie

DrHogie Guest

Best Answers:
    Okay -- all I need to do is figure out a way to get nusoap to send "true" instead of "1".

I changed it to string, but it's still a "1" that nusoap is sending to google.

Thanks for the confirmation though :)

DrHogie, Mar 18, 2004 IP
  10. DrHogie

DrHogie Guest

Best Answers:
    Okay, I finally found the problem. NuSOAP (showing ver 0.6.4 in the readme, but the version in the response is 0.6.3) sets all boolean values to 1 and 0. The information is in the followings lines if anyone else reads this and needs it changed:

3009: if ($uqType == 'boolean' && !$value) {
    3010:                                        $value = 0;
    3011:                                } elseif ($uqType == 'boolean') {
    3012:                                        $value = 1;
    3013:                                }

Code (markup):
    Just change the 0 and 1 to string 'true'/'false' values and all works again, including Google.

Thanks for the help again Shawn -- and hopefully this will fix a problem for someone else down the line.

P.S. Out of curiousity, does NuSOAP does this because a SOAP/WSDL standard is 0/1, not true/false?

DrHogie, Mar 18, 2004 IP
  11. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Not sure... I think Google might be slightly non-standard in their SOAP/WSDL implementation (so it's entirely possible).

While I can't say for *sure*, it's strange that no SOAP client (that I have seen) works for queries in Japanese, Chinese or Korean. I got it working, but since I made my own SOAP client specific for Google, I think that's the only reason it works...

- Shawn

12. DrHogie

DrHogie Guest

Best Answers:
    Okay. Problem is solved, but I found an interesting problem.

I know Google's in the process of dropping new data to it's datacenters, but I found this problem:

Script Results (debug) With Filtering

Script Results (debug) Without Filtering

The sets of results are totally different, namely the #1s (unfiltered it's us, filtered it's someone else). The ONLY change between the two is turning on the filter and safesearch option. Should that cause the results to come from a different datacenter?

Sorry for all the questions, but this has been a thorn in my side w/ Google for awhile, and I'm finally getting somewhere with it :)

Thanks again,
    Josh

DrHogie, Mar 18, 2004 IP
  13. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well the filter option on is what users at www.google.com see by default. So if you rank for filtered results, that's good.

Have you tried filtering your results at www.google.com (under preferences) to see if it's the same as what the API is returning?

- Shawn