1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Weed, Pot, Marijuana.....Legalize it or not?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Daniel, Jun 3, 2005.

?

Legalize it?

Poll closed Jun 10, 2005.
  1. I'd have it no other way!

24 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Damn burnouts!

20 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't smoke pot either, but If they legalize it, I'll definitely consider growing it.

Obamanation, Apr 13, 2010 IP
  2. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    lame article. More of an opinion piece. Every law in the USA is probably considered racist by those who want them to appear racist if you took in account which race is most often sentenced by each crime.

Anti-pedophilia laws are bigoted is a more accurate statement than that of the article.

debunked, Apr 13, 2010 IP
  3. ncz_nate

ncz_nate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Too bad my reasoning for calling it racist is not as simplistic as the two seconds worth of thought you put into disagreeing.

There's more to it than what race is most often sentenced.

And lol @ it being an opinion piece with several facts cited proving my initial point. It's not that great of an article but it's a start if you care at all about learning. I won't go too deep with you on it though, the last time I did you appeared to not have read your own Bible while accusing me of just that.

Normally I don't get into personalities but I've learned a lot of people here just can't be reasoned with. I'm not saying for sure you're one of them, but from what I've seen it's not worth the effort.

ncz_nate, Apr 13, 2010 IP
  4. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Hey I admit I didn't thoroughly read the article, but what is this you are accusing me of with the Bible?

debunked, Apr 13, 2010 IP
  5. ncz_nate

Best Answers:
    Sorry, I was really pissed off when I wrote that (from something else not this). I was referring to the discussion we had awhile back about the Leviticus passage in the Bible seeming savage. I don't remember how the thread was resolved; it doesn't matter anyway I shouldn't have brought it up.

Gonna take a break from here probly, I don't have the luxury of dealing with worldly issues anymore.

ncz_nate, Apr 13, 2010 IP
  6. BRUm

BRUm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dcristo, because you or your friends have had bad experiences with something, it should be forbidden for anyone else? Minority ruling the majority... go authoritarianism.

Anyone against the decriminalisation of all drugs needs to read up on liberty. Who the hell made the government in charge of nannying us?

Suicide is pretty dangerous, right? But it's not illegal here.

No one is saying weed is healthy, in fact, it's completely irrelevant. If I'm an adult and want to get high and it hurts no-one else other than myself, then it's illogical for it to be banned.

Those of you who believe it would cause crime and what not, there's no way of proving that belief considering we don't live in a society where it is not regulated. The founding fathers of the great USA, such as George Washington, grew and used Cannabis.

We all know 420 was criminalised because it competed too well with the paper industry and it was a way of controlling the Mexicans a hundred or so years ago. Remember, substances have been around, used and legal longer than not. Why can't people see further back than their birth...

Just a side note: legalisation and decriminalisation are two different things. Government can pass a law decreeing something legal or regulated; decriminalisation is removing an opinion from the government - i.e. it's not legal or illegal, it's a non-issue!

All victimless crimes need to GO!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
    BRUm, Apr 14, 2010 IP
  7. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    ^^^ You do drugs>you get addicted>you buy more> waste money> drug money funds terrorism> lungs/liver etc damaged> insurance company pays your health bill> Government subsidies healthcare >>> Tax Payers pay for your "high" > Big population of homeless unemployed addicts > Crime etc!

No victims, eh?

Atleast making it illegal makes it so expensive that only a few people can take it an small Qty's, and criminalization further discourages consumptions.

The argument: "Make it legal because its available anyways" is total BS.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
    Helvetii, Apr 14, 2010 IP
  8. BRUm

BRUm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Don't you dare say that. You are grossly, grossly, grossly over simplifying things. Have you ever tried these "drugs"? I bet not, so don't be the huge child you are and talk about things you have no idea about or experience with.

REGARDLESS of whether someone becomes addicted or not, it's irrelevant, it's NO business of yours or your government. For your information, I'll tell you I have tried many substances and never became addicted, and with the good and bad I don't regret any of it. Many people such as myself are sensible and wish to explore parts of the world narrow minded, ignorant fools such as yourself deny others.

Gambling, Alcohol, Nicotine and sex can be addictive, should we ban these?

You should be very embarrassed for writing that post. Wastes money? Says who, you? Funds terrorism? Don't make me laugh. Guns are said to fund terrorism too, maybe we should scrub out the second amendment? Governments are the biggest pushers of cocaine and heroin and that is an indisputable fact.

Making it illegal makes the price high and the quality low therefore KILLING people because the cut is inconsistent, this also contradicts your silly argument considering it would mean more money would be "wasted", right? Criminalisation certainly does not discourage consumption, considering the Cannabis plant is the biggest cash crop in the entire world and it's illegal in just about all countries. Did the 1920's prohibition of Alcohol in the US prevent consumption? Do your research before you claim you know what you're talking about.

If you're so sure that this all ultimately leads to crime, then why do we still have high drug related crime in areas with draconian substance regulation? Look at Mexico, it has fallen apart because of this ridiculous "war on drugs". If the current system isn't working, then it needs re-evaluating. Decriminalisation would wipe out a huge portion of crime over night! It's common sense. To believe, as many do, that decriminalisation would suddenly make everyone a junky shows an incredible amount of immaturity and misunderstanding of fellow man, and is comparable to believing that allowing homosexuality would suddenly make everyone gay! The forbidden substances have been unregulated for thousands of years longer than not, in fact, one hundred years ago Heroin was available in shops. Only very recently in our history have such things become politicised, it's absurd. It's such a non-issue it's weep-worthy.

No credible person can oppose decriminalisation. Here in England, some moron woman who was uneducated with Gamma-butyrolactone drank alcohol in a club after consuming GBL and died. Those of us, such as myself, who actually educate ourselves about substances, or anything for that that matter, before putting it in our bodies know that they are a fatal combination, hence why many are able to experiment with it safely. However, because this girl died, her mother blamed the the substance, not her 'perfectly innocent' child, of course, and so managed to get the substance banned. A fraction, of a fraction, of a fraction of the population had their way. Sickening.

Oh please direct me to the land of the sane and rational...

The matter at hand is the fact that you should concern yourself with your own habits and stop judging others. What people do to themselves is of no-one else's concern if it doesn't affect them; simple as that. Holding the beliefs you do means that you support the violation of human free-will and right to privacy.

Jesus Christ, did you leave your brain somewhere else when you wrote that?

Come on people, don't make me lose faith in the people on here, anyone else see how ridiculous the above post is?

Very compelling argument...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
    BRUm, Apr 15, 2010 IP
  9. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Who are you? :confused: It seems to me that you think all the accomplished people who make the laws and run the world while you sit on your bum are all idiots, and you are the only person who has some idea what he's talking about.

Here's the deal, instead of shouting "MAKE IT LEGAL!!" and supporting it with ridiculous and bullshit arguments, get elected to the parliament/senate, introduce a bill to make it legal, give out your arguments and get it passed........but thats never going to happen, wanna know why? Because you would be too busy enjoying your dose of LSD and ridiculing people who take the initiative to do something for the larger good rather than for their selfish selves. Even if you take the initiative, I seriously doubt an irrational and influence prone persons ability to make it happen.

I never have, I never will, and know what? I'm proud of it. :cool:

This post just reinforces your selfishness.

What? I can deny others something they want? Cool! :cool:

You missed out on games, TV soaps, food, Internet, Forums....and millions of other things.

Gambling is already banned in most places, though a gambler is of no harm to the society. Alcohol doesn't kill you (unless you foolishly take it large Qty's, but then taking even water in large Qty's can kill you). I'm of the opinion that Nicotine should be banned as well. Do you know how much governments spend on Rehab centers? I haven't known even one smoker who doesn't want to quit.
    If someone is addicted to sex, theres no harm from it to anyone. Though Tiger Woods might disagree.

Do you know where 90% of the worlds narcotics come from? Afghanistan. You know who grows them? Taliban. You know who sells them? Druglords and Mafias. Are they your role models?

Its easy to not laugh at that., just research your facts and if that doesn't work, stuff a sock in your oral cavity.

Which governments? Afghanistan? African government? South American failed states?

Growing cannabis is legal if planted for food purposes as the seeds are eaten by the Iranian people, and companies often draw oil from the seeds which is sold legally. Growing Cannibas is legal in just about all countries. Its always a nice idea to have some idea about what you are talking.

At that time "Owning" blacks and racism was also okay, but when we realized that its wrong it was made a crime. Sure some selfish people like you cried about not being able to have slaves...but does anyone care?

Lets decriminalize murder,rape and all other crimes, that would wipe out a huge portion of crime overnight! It's common sense! :rolleyes:

I wasn't even talking about crime related to production and selling of drugs. I was talking about crime related to consumption of drugs. Go to Goa and you'll see all these fat lower class Europeans and Russians out there smoking stuff on the beaches, its such a nuisance that tourists have stopped going to certain beaches. Fights which sometimes lead to death have become so common because people just behave like animals when they get their heart beat and BP up.

More serious crimes occur when people submit themselves to narcotics which makes them incapable of holding jobs, a public nuisance, a liability. They resort to crimes to support themselves and their addiction.

Your arguments are just as silly as a Muslims arguments in support of wife beating in Islam. Who gave you the right to judge the credibility of others?

And people like YOU are in the minority, it might seem that you are a part of the majority and others are just a "fraction, of a fraction, of a fraction of the population" when everyone you hang out with is an addict.

Since your understanding of the concepts of sanity and rationality is different, I think this might be the "land of the sane and rational" for you.

I don't want my taxes to be used to pay for some drug addicts rehab. Re-read my posts to understand how it affects others.

Define Human Free-Will

Helvetii, Apr 15, 2010 IP
  10. BRUm

BRUm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, you're mistaken. I disagree with a lot of things, especially injustice. I don't think I'm the only one with the right ideas, stop putting words in my mouth. How about spending more time structuring your arguments properly and civilly?

Here we go again. Thanks for proving my arguments ridiculous and bullshit by merely saying so. I don't appreciate the insult: I don't just sit on my arse and I've never tried lysergic acid diethylamide and don't intend to. I don't like hallucinogens, but that's just me. If others like it, good for them. You really do keep reinforcing how ignorant you are, judging me and stating what I do when all you know of me is my avatar and handle!?

"The larger good", oh wow, where have I heard that before? Hmm... I believe just about all collective dictators throughout history have claimed that their oppression was for the "greater good". Utilitarianism and collectivism is unamerican.

All your post is ad hominem. You say my arguments are bullshit but that's it, you don't go any further. You're a laughing stock.

Admitting you've never tried any "drug" while arguing against someone with more experience shows how ignorant you are.

Are you serious? Don't be stupid. It's illegal in virtually all Western countries, other than possibly Amsterdam, but then again it's heavily regulated.

Like all your arguments, you make a statement but don't actually support it. What are you talking about? What relevance does that have with anything I've said? Nothing.

I never said the majority hold my beliefs, but then again, the majority can't agree on anything. I don't understand what the last part of that sentence is about, addict?

You wouldn't if it was legal, silly.

Great use of the straw-man tactic! Make an an argument which is loosely related to mine, is inherently flawed and easy to argue against; you're arguing against your own logic and argument there mate, not mine. There is one distinct difference: possibly harming oneself and no-one else, is not the same as murder and rape which directly harms someone else. Man, you really are embarrassing yourself today.

Read up on Common Law which I'm proud to say originated from my homeland.

You created a scenario which is self evident, nice one. How about people who relax with some form of substance frequently, have a job, are respectful and don't harm others? Such as myself? I'm living proof you're talking out of your arse. I know many others who have partaken in various substances, they've never caused anyone any harm. You really should stop generalising, it's damaging your credibility and your arguments.

I'm selfish because I want people to leave others alone and support civil liberties.

Look, I don't dislike you or wish any ill will. I am a peaceful person who believes in "Live and let live". I may dabble in this and that occasionally and because I've never harmed anyone else, I should be allowed. I don't speak on behalf of dangerous people, I'm talking about a large portion of the populace who are like me. You can't simply blanket us with laws because some people are morons. Would it be fair to ban poison ivy because crimes have been committed with it?

Don't you agree that law abiding citizens should be allowed to partake in illicit substances? The very same arguments can be applied to firearms. I love the American ideals of individualism and the constitution. Some dislike it and argue, like "drugs", they're dangerous and should be banned.

Anyway, I've said my piece and given my opinion, I can't really say any more without repeating myself - though through no fault of my own.

I hope some others would contribute so we'd have a more rounded debate.

Have a nice day,
    Lee.

BRUm, Apr 15, 2010 IP
  11. ncz_nate

Best Answers:
    I need to finish what I started here before I can go.

Sure alcohol doesn't kill you immediately, just as nicotine doesn't kill you immediately. Trans fats also don't kill you immediately, but they are all very unhealthy. Alcohol is a serious problem FYI. My family was destroyed from two incidents of drunk drivers, as well as through alcoholism. Am I a supporter of a prohibition on alcohol? Well, I'd have to be one terrible student of history to be one!

I hope you realize that argument only goes against you. Organized crime thrives off of the black market/prohibition which leads to violent crime. Domestic marijuana growers slash into Mexican drug cartel profits and anyone with a clue knows that legalizing it would wreck the drug cartels financing, being that the biggest (60%) chunk of profit is made off of marijuana.

Ridiculous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoH4d7OVmKc

Would you prefer your taxes to go to locking up hundreds of thousands of nonviolent criminals? You know it costs money to take care of them and all, right? Would you prefer taxes be forfeited by keeping them illegal and untaxed?

I find it funny that you're willing to pay for these wildly despotic measures which are inefficient and impractical to say the least, while you are completely unwilling to see to it that those addicted get treatment. Are you selfish maybe?

By the way, that's your false dichotomy, not mine. Nowhere have I advocated the use of tax dollars for stoners.

ncz_nate, Apr 15, 2010 IP
  12. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Reminder:

You surely lead by example, don't you? :rolleyes:

That was said with a huge dose of sarcasm, I had hoped that the emoticon would give you a hint!

Don't you agree that they cause nothing but harm to oneself and the society? (and BTW Firearms are used for self defense)

Look around you, there are far more pleasurable things to do than a "high" on "drugs". And don't think just about yourself/people like yourself. Rehab centers are a living proof of how harmful these things can be for the society and individuals. Just because some people can hold their drugs doesn't mean that we should make it legal and condemn millions to a life of submission and addiction. In the end the fact is that it adds ZERO value to anyone.

Making a criminal act legal surely wipes out crime on paper, but thats no solution.

I don't know where you come from but over here taxpayer money is not used to support jails. Jails are self-sustaining units. Convicts are taught skills which would help them lead a honest life when they get out, and while in the jails they use those very same skills to pay for what is spent on them.

In Saudi Arabia there's a provision where a convict for any crime (even murder) can pay huge fines (several million dollars) and get a reduced sentence or even acquittal, but western countries don't have it, now would you prefer the fines be forfeited or...... I hope you get the point.

Helvetii, Apr 15, 2010 IP
  13. ncz_nate

Best Answers:
    What exactly is inherently criminal with a plant?

IDK where the hell you live but that's not how they work here.

Niceee... so the rich end up with more freedom? :rolleyes: Saudi Arabia is quite the model state. I hear their wealth disparity is the envy of the world.

ncz_nate, Apr 15, 2010 IP
  14. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Ask yourselves, if everyone on earth smoked weed but there was no other crimes, would the world be a bad place?

Blogmaster, Apr 15, 2010 IP
  15. BRUm

BRUm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just one last point I need to make: Please, don't patronise people. We all know there are other pleasurable things, but you make it out as if the two are mutually exclusive. I live a very fulfilling life. I'm earning a degree, I have a perfect girlfriend (love you Rose :D) and have great hopes for my future. Relaxing with a bit of something like weed every now and then simply adds to how perfect life can be. Like I said before, you shouldn't really say these things when you haven't even tried the very things you're putting down. Trust me, if what I do in my spare time was harming me or was dangerous, I wouldn't do it.

Rehab centres are proof that some people can't handle certain substances, it's not necessarily proof that drugs will harm people. Like I said, again, I've tried many things, as have many others I know, and we move on. We weren't harmed and we required no rehab because we're responsible. Don't tar with the same brush.

I completely disagree that exploring chemical elements to our brief existence on this planet adds zero value. In fact, I owe a lot to such adventuring. If it weren't for these things, I wouldn't be nearly as well rounded as person and open minded, trust me on that.

You can't punish one group because another isn't responsible. You claim that we shouldn't decriminalise illicit substances because some can handle them, well, we shouldn't criminalise them either for the same reason. The government should take a step out of our lives and trust us, we're not chattel!

I understand where you're coming from though. Believe it or not I used to think the same way. But that was, like yourself, before I had tried anything. It's natural to fear something you know nothing about.

"Never trust a government that doesn't trust its own citizens..." - Benjamin Franklin. While this was originally written in the context of guns, I think it can be applied generally.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
    BRUm, Apr 16, 2010 IP
  16. ncz_nate

Best Answers:
    Except for those living with the various painful/chronic conditions that REQUIRE marijuana to get by. The simply fact is you have no right to deny others their rights. It doesn't matter why they want to smoke it, it's not your business. No one likes a brown-noser.

ncz_nate, Apr 16, 2010 IP
  17. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You are just repeating what has already been said on this thread. If we were having this conversation over the telephone, I would hang up right here!

Helvetii, Apr 16, 2010 IP
  18. ncz_nate

Best Answers:
    Go ahead then, and leave. Because you have nothing.

ncz_nate, Apr 16, 2010 IP
  19. alexispetrov

alexispetrov Peon

Best Answers:
    It is no one's business but one's own if they wish to smoke, drink, etc.

As long as they aren't harming anyone else the desire to control their behavior is authoritarian; it is narcissistic to believe you have a right to tell people what they can and can't do - provided what they are doing isn't harming anyone but themselves.

alexispetrov, Apr 16, 2010 IP
  20. earlpearl

earlpearl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Prior to legalizing it or not IMHO I should be given legal authority to test and evaluate it. I've had strong and weak pot, mind blowing, and lung filling waste of time pot, stronger stuff, etc. Now I haven't done any in many many years.

I'd give gr8 opinions: For instance: "This sh1t is mindblowing unbelievable. It might be dangerous it might not. I need to test it a lot more before rendering a judgement whether its safe to make this sh1t legal or not. Send some more over and send some chocolate ice cream with it."

Advice like that would definitely further the knowledge base to determine if legality is appropriate or not. Besides allowing me to legally test it for the rest of you, the posiition should pay very big bucks. I'm willing to sacrifice on behalf of all of you.

earlpearl, Apr 16, 2010 IP