1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Website with online and offline server?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by Henok Girma, May 15, 2016.

Hi everyone!

So I've googled as much as I could and couldn't find any answers.

Im currently working on a website for my company and I live in a country where the internet can be a bit dodgy. I was wondering if I could have a cloud based server that constantly synchronizes with a server in the office so we can easily switch when the internet is down and still have all the files uploaded to the cloud.

I'm new to this so forgive me if its a stupid question!

Solved! View solution.
    Henok Girma, May 15, 2016 IP
    Hi, definitely, you can do this. There are many ways how you can achieve this. The real question, however, is why? Why not to buy a hosting that is both reliable by itself and in a country with a reliable Internet connection. If that is your primary server, it does not really matter if your company is offline.

If the reason is that you need the website to be accessible for your company employees all the time, regardless the state of the Internet connection, then still, you can have the primary server "out there" and maintain a local version as well. It is a common concept that when you develop a web, you have a development version and a production version, and in some environments you maintain even more versions. So you can have development version on your desktop, then "company" version in your company and then production "out there". When you develop a new feature you test it in dev version, then you release it to company version and to the production.

If for some reason, this is not suitable, you can still do what you asked for. https://www.cloudflare.com/ can help you very well, if you are OK to have only static content visible to your visitors when your company is offline. It will simply load from CF servers if your company server is not reachable.

Many other solutions are also available, even for dynamic content, but that really depends on what technology do you use and what is needed to be in sync there. But make sure you answer the why question first.

O-D-T, May 16, 2016 IP
  3. Henok Girma

Henok Girma Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks so much @O-D-T this is probably the first time I've ever seen a forum actually help people out, you're the greatest.

Henok Girma, May 18, 2016 IP