1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Website Visit from editor.dmoz.org What's the Real Meaning to this?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by theseoguys, Sep 26, 2010.

I don't mean to ask the obvious, so this is more for any editors in the audience. If I had a visit in early July to one of my sites from editors.dmoz.org. They visited 2 pages, out of at least 60, and spent 18 seconds. Is this a "let's see if it is the right category visit", or was this "the visit" to make the final add or decline decision on inclusion to the DMOZ Directory. If so, how is one able to make a judgemental decision regarding directory inclusion while only spending 18 seconds on the site? I was just looking for some feedback from those with this kind of experience.

Thank you in advance.

theseoguys, Sep 26, 2010 IP
  2. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It means nothing more than someone from DMOZ visited your site for 18 seconds

It could mean:
    - they visited and they rejected your site
    - they visited and moved your site to a better category
    - they visited and decided it was not crap and left it for a later review
    - they visited and decided to seek advice from another editor
    - they visited and etc etc

Agent000, Sep 26, 2010 IP
  3. bogs

bogs Active Member

Best Answers:
    at first glance the editor might can tell if a site did not pass their guidelines.. they might be doing it for a long time.. so don't be surprise..

bogs, Sep 26, 2010 IP
  4. theseoguys

theseoguys Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks. As I stated, I was aware of the obvious that an editor visited for 18 seconds, that's it. I know content wise, the site would meet or exceed DMOZ's quality control standards. I would like to think that it takes longer than 18 seconds to evaluate a site. I know they have been doing this along time. I'll accept the move to another category, or later review answer.
    Any editors out there do something similar? After 1 yr of waiting, it is a curiosity question for the most part.

Thanks.

theseoguys, Sep 26, 2010 IP
  5. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    18 seconds isn't long enough to evaluate a listable website IMHO. I can add a few more scenarios to Agent000's list though :).

- The phone rang before evaluation was complete.
    - The editor's connection or equipment went down.
    - The editor's impatient partner wanted him.
    etc etc.

As Agent000 says, a visit from the dmoz.org domain doesn't mean a thing. Incidentally, I surf with referrers disabled so as to avoid exciting/worrying website owners and I'm sure some other editors do the same. You might be getting even more visits from dmoz.org than you thought :).

jimnoble, Sep 26, 2010 IP
  6. theseoguys

theseoguys Member

Best Answers:
    I appreciate the reply, based on experience. I guess I was looking for some sort of Standard Operating procedure from DMOZ editors when it comes to getting indexed. Ie first vist, then after certain amount of time, 2nd visits, etc. I know the site I am referring to (not in my sig, therefore not trying to plug here) would qualify for the directory, and I also know there is a shortage of editiors, and an abundance of sites waiting. Thanks again.

theseoguys, Sep 27, 2010 IP
  7. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My SOP when evaluating a listing suggestion is to do one of the following - all in one hit.

- Delete it if it's unlistable.
    - List it where it is.
    - Move it to what I think is a better category for further evaluation there.
    - Leave it for somebody else if I can't determine the site's subject matter (You'd be amazed).

Other available options such as immediately listing it in a better category or leaving it in the pool until it's gained adequate content (blogs, forums and directories) aren't so efficient of my time so I rarely use them.

Other editors might operate differently.

jimnoble, Sep 28, 2010 IP