1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Website Running Multiple File Types?

Discussion in 'C#' started by scottlpool2003, Dec 10, 2012.

Would it be considered bad practice if a website was running multiple file types?

I'm working on a project that primarily works in PHP but will be running ASP applications, so some pages will be .php and others will be .aspx

Are there any reasons or pros/cons against using multiple platforms for a website?

Thanks.

scottlpool2003, Dec 10, 2012 IP
  2. swestner

swestner Member

Best Answers:
    Without knowing much about the requirements or current implementation it is difficult to give a detailed list of issues. But in general, I can think of a number of cases that will need to handled, none of which are insurmountable. I would also like to point out that there are frameworks that offer seamless integration.

Phalanger on codeplex is one i have heard good things about. I don't think i can post links, but google will help you out :)

But if you want to do it the old fashion way here are some considerations are dependant on one desicion, are you running php on apache or iis?

If you are running on apache then you need to think about :

- you will need to configure and support iis and apache on different servers.
    - Your going to lose session state bouncing between the servers.
    - You will probably need to duplicate your url rewrites if you are aiming for restful architecture.
    - Depending on what .net platforms you are using (asp.net vs mvc.net) url rewriting can be onerous.
    - if you are running a compiled code base, it will only be available on one server

If you are running php on IIS then you need to think about :
    - making sure the AppPool for your site runs in classic mode as the default app pool routes everything through asp.net
    - your still going to lose session since asp.net and fastcgi run in different modules
    - secure cookies will not be able to be passed back and forth.
    - i vaugely remember some fastcgi security issues on iis, but they might have been resolved by now.

Anyways, i hope this helps.

swestner, Mar 6, 2013 IP
  3. born_star16

born_star16 Member

Best Answers:
    In my view it is not a good practice. But you can do it if your server is configured for running php and ASP.

born_star16, Mar 20, 2013 IP