1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Website Review: www.pickbrains.com

Discussion in 'Websites' started by thing2b, Feb 19, 2009.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could review my site (http://www.pickbrains.com). My main focus at the moment is the ability for members to submit articles (http://www.pickbrains.com/members/edit-article). Although I know article submission sites are popular, I am creating this site as the first step towards something better.

I am resonably happy with my design and colors, but any comments would be great. Some things that would be quite helpful are:
    - How easy is user registration?
    - How easy is user login?
    - Any feature missing?

I am aware that it fails horribly with the W3C Validator.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    thing2b, Feb 19, 2009 IP
  2. 2advance

2advance Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Try some other logo for your site and add some graphics styles on the menu.

2advance, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  3. Hyworm

Hyworm Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm i would try to add some blue background into footer ...

Hyworm, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  4. DanielHB

DanielHB Active Member

Best Answers:
    A simple site although that isn't a bad thing. A captcha is fairly unnecessary on the login form, isn't it?

DanielHB, Feb 21, 2009 IP
  5. GaryEarle

GaryEarle Peon

Best Answers:
    My first thought upon landing..........oh well.....

now...what I mean is that initially...you don't tell me what its about!..

Make a header that gives it just a bit of flair.......after all...its about creativity, right?

so..be creative!

Let the vistitor know right up front what the site is about..do that in your header....not over in a tiny box on the right...

Just my opinion
    Gary

GaryEarle, Feb 21, 2009 IP
  6. studyjava.org

studyjava.org Peon

Best Answers:
    plz try to make a good logo

studyjava.org, Feb 21, 2009 IP
  7. monosodium

monosodium Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I see you do have the name of the author in italics after the article. OK, but you need more. What time and date was the article published? Was it first published somewhere else? If so, under what license was it published on PickBrains? Also, what kind of copyright is this article under - can people use the article or not? If so under what terms. You need to make all that crystal clear.

The domain name is good, very good. Site looks good. Keep it up.

monosodium, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  8. 3DProf4online

3DProf4online Peon

Best Answers:
    Website design doesn't have a professional look! Website has no logo! Website structure is simple, but everything is clear at a website! It is better to decrease website length and move the main menu items left! Place Ads by Google block under the menu then! It is also to redesign a horizontal menu in more professional style!

3DProf4online, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  9. monosodium

monosodium Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It DOES have a professional look. It DOES have a logo.

For websites that don't have a professional look, check the sites in your signature. Take webservicetoday.com - now THAT doesn't have a logo. It has an earth icon where the logo should be. The favicon doesn't match anything else in the site. The buttons do not match the icons. And so on.

monosodium, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  10. GeeOne

GeeOne Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Very nice and sweet site, I agree with 2advance. You should have better logo.
    Sorry registration and login not tried.

GeeOne, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  11. njoups

njoups Peon

Best Answers:
    agree too with better logo. You'd beter using animated image logo.

njoups, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  12. ToddAddictive

ToddAddictive Banned

Best Answers:
    x4 on the better logo, other wise looking good

ToddAddictive, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  13. sardwyn

sardwyn Peon

Best Answers:
    This is a really simple site but that's not a bad thing at all! I quite like the pastel minimalism you have going on :)

Main thing with this site isn't the logo and stuffs like that, it's all highly subjective and you aren't going to please everyone no matter what you do but you really and I mean *really* need some introductory text just to explain a little about the site and what it's mission is.

Get that sorted and it's all good :)

sardwyn, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  14. gleznov

gleznov Peon

Best Answers:
    The minimalist approach doesn't bother me, although I think the logo'd look a little better if it was a bit longer horizontally. Even just extending the dashed line on either side would work for me.

It looks like you have a decent span of articles to start with. Their quality seems pretty decent too (from the sampling I looked at).

Most importantly, as an article writer myself, I'm intrigued by the Text Compare tool - that's more than enough incentive to sign up.

The site could use a little more to cover all the white space, especially on the pages that have very little to display in the main body area. All in all however, nice work.

gleznov, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  15. Bobby_Bacchus

Bobby_Bacchus Active Member

Best Answers:
    Make the landing page more to what your site is about, put the sub pages on links.....form the landing page...put that guy head you have in the banner to the right ..with a nice pic and the logo and some link.....with a discretion of your site....and keep it simple..simple sells..and works..

Good luck.

Bobby_Bacchus, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  16. jackbo99

jackbo99 Peon

Best Answers:
    Logo could use some pizzaz that would bring the reader's focus to it. It's so clean and simple that it seem to get lost. In photography you use a technique of framing or you can use lines to draw the eyes to the subject. The other note is the blue seemed to get tiring pretty quickly. Maybe a little more contrast or something would make it more pleasing to the eye. I do like lite blue and it could have been my browser. My insight only. Thought it was really good start and wish you luck.

jackbo99, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  17. bronzerleaf

bronzerleaf Peon

Best Answers:
    The site graphic is small, the page is so white and plain. Good news is that it has a clean design that loads fast though. Maybe some sort of slogan next to logo that explains what you do at the website would help people who first land on page to understand what is going on there.

bronzerleaf, Feb 24, 2009 IP