1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Website Review - DeafSensitivity.com - Website Owner Thinks The Website is "Embarrassing."

Discussion in 'Websites' started by Conrad Klug, Feb 26, 2018.

?

Solid website?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
    Hey all!

I have a website that I have been working on with a client of mine. It's DeafSensitivity.com. It's built on WordPress with a tried and true template and has moved up to number #2 on Google for the keyword "Deaf Sensitivity." It's a very clean, organized website that perhaps could need some minor improvements admittedly, however it's a great start.

The business owner is trying to screw me and cop out of having to pay my bill for the website by calling it "embarrassing." What do you guys think? Is it at least a solid website that's presentable?

Conrad Klug, Feb 26, 2018 IP
  2. Jaime A. Heidel

Jaime A. Heidel Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry nobody responded to you on this. At first glance, I don't see anything embarrassing on the site. The business owner may be trying to get out of paying you. A few things: 1) Always get a 50% payment upfront before doing any work, especially from new clients. 2) Contact your client and ask him for specifics so you know what it is he's disappointed in. I hope this helps a bit. Best of luck to you!

Jaime A. Heidel, Mar 22, 2018 IP
  3. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Phone number bar just seems slopped in any old way, orange logo is near invisible over pointless space-wasting stock image. The blurry bold-ish font over that same image is hard to read, the "three across' section and the entire footer is filled with illegible colour contrasts. The entire site flips the bird at usability and accessibility by declaring the font-size in pixels on <body>, and attempting to navigate it with the keyboard or via my braille reader is a broken half-assed joke.

The fixed social media crap overlaps the content funny and reeks of "gee ain't that neat" rubbish that does nothing of value on the page other than make it distracting and annoying.

Of course since ping-time from here to whatever it is posted on is high, that RIDICULOUS 81 separate files is resulting in a page-load of over a minute. I dread to think how poor performing it is for someone with LESS than the 120mbps connection I have here given the 1.8 MEGABYTE TRAIN WRECK of how not to build a website that is... a situation made all the more absurd by over a third of those file requests being the 400k of "JS for nothing".

Naturally popping the bonnet the code is the typical train wreck of "When turdpress met bootcrap" INEPTITUDE -- complete with the typical static style in the markup, static scripting and the markup, and a nasty ass case of "Semantic markup, what's that?!?"

As evidenced by garbage like this:

<nav class="navbar navbar-default navbar-fixed-top navbar-color-on-scroll navbar-transparent hestia_left header-with-topbar">

Code (markup):
    If you don't know what's wrong with that, do the world a favor, back the f*** away from the keyboard, and go take up something a bit less detail oriented like macramé! HARDLY a shock it wastes 48.5k of markup on delivering 4.5k of plaintext and only five images I'd even be treating as content -- so not even 10k of HTML's JOB!

deathshadow, Mar 22, 2018 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Let's assume that the owners want to pay next to nothing and get a working website rather than something that is technically perfect... I think you've done a pretty good job.

My criticisms are as follows (and not all are necessarily for you to fix)
    • underutilised top bar on the site - add email and social media to that black bar with the phone number
    • the iframe for the zoho form is mis-sized
    • but then again, zoho forms? really?
    • the blog reads more like an announcements page, that's a wasted opportunity to present case studies and insight into why DHH sensitivity matters
    • the quality of the images on the blog page is unacceptable
      upload_2018-3-23_13-20-26.png
    • the quality of the photos of the owners is low and they don't "match"
      [​IMG] [​IMG]
    • The address isn't translating onto the map correctly
      upload_2018-3-23_13-23-10.png
    • The address isn't credible for a business that is probably operated from home
      goo.gl/maps/Pawe71RQx962

sarahk, Mar 22, 2018 IP