1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Website redesign / migration

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Philip Rennie, Oct 17, 2014.

Hi Folks,

I am quite new to web development so please be gentle!

My father had a website designed by a company 2 years ago that is now no longer. We have been contacted by the former director and they are going to transfer the domain name to us and we have been given access to the hosting package.

Given that the domain is going to expire in December along with the hosting package. I will need to migrate the website and renew the domain name. To add complication to this, he has asked me to redesign his webpage. He is currently on Joomla, I have developed a HTML5 website this includes new content and photography. The main reasoning behind this redesign is that the old website isn't responsive and tablet and mobile viewing isn't great.

The newly designed website has had a lot of the pages condensed into one for easier navigation. After reading a few articles I am aware that i will need to setup 301 redirects for the old url's to the new url's to save affecting SEO.

Basically, I have started this post to get some advice and clarify my migration procedure to ensure that i haven't missed anything out. And to get some advice on SEO so that i do everything possible not to effect his current rankings. I am aware that changing so much may effect his SEO quite dramatically so i need some expert advice.

In terms of the content changing, is this something that can be done over time to save so much changes at once? both sites are online at the minute, woukld using a side by side seo comparison tool be of any help?

My migration plans are:
    1. Transfer domain name to new registrar and keep the nameservers pointing to his current hosting package
    2. Purchase new hosting package and upload new website
    3. Create 301 redirects for all old url's and inbound links
    4. change nameservers to new hosting package

Excuse me if i have just dropped a huge bomb on everyone and totally underestimated this :)

Thanks in advance

Philip Rennie, Oct 17, 2014 IP
  2. dadaas

dadaas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why u need 301 redirects? By saying u made HTML5 design, are you saying you made a new template for Joomla or you will move away from Joomla and uce custom made site?
    If it is second, then you just copy paste text and other stuff to your site and that is all. And yea, you will need redirects, use regex for that.

dadaas, Oct 17, 2014 IP
  3. Philip Rennie

Philip Rennie Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi thanks for your reply. The urls have all changed. I have totally came away from joomla and bought a html5 template.

Philip Rennie, Oct 18, 2014 IP
  4. dadaas

dadaas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well then you will need manually move every post to new system. But i m not sure if moving away from Joomla to something custom made is good idea...

But anyway, you will sure ened 301 redirects for each site. I suggest to use regex and hmmm depending on size you should choose how youw ant to redirect them. By using apache it could be too CPU consuming if there are many redirects.

dadaas, Oct 18, 2014 IP