1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Website owner / How to hide other sites hosted on server?

Discussion in 'Security' started by Kayz, May 15, 2012.

Hi guys i have a VPS where i host websites for myself and a client. I also have a very controversial website which i am hosting on the same VPS but under a different dedicated ip which also has whois protection.

Now just when i thought anybody doing a reverse lookup wont be able to find any of my other sites, i was wrong. They were able to find the other sites i also host... even though after i had done a reverse lookup with different providers i was not able to see any other site except mine. I'm just wondering how these people were able to do it?

What am i not doing right or what do i need to do where anybody looking up a domain or ip address will not be able to see what other sites are on the same server?

Thank you

Last edited: May 15, 2012
    Kayz, May 15, 2012 IP
  2. MarkElse101

MarkElse101 Peon

Best Answers:
    i believe a trace-route would lead back to the company who supply the vps to you or would resolve to the vps/server hostname

MarkElse101, May 17, 2012 IP
  3. PK-Host

PK-Host Guest

Best Answers:
    You can run tracehosts and it would report back first to your host then to the domain that your clients ip resolves to.

PK-Host, May 20, 2012 IP
  4. tkrr4

tkrr4 Peon

Best Answers:
    I can usually see through most efforts to hide domains, the best plan is to move your domain to a separate plan or free hosting account if you have no bucks.

Assuming you can do that then the next best thing is to create dedicated nameservers on a dedicated IP, your ISP will be loath to provide you with new IP's for no reason so tell them you need it for taking payments on an ecommerce site.

tkrr4, May 24, 2012 IP
  5. Techking

Techking Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just move your website to another stable webhost !.

Free Webhosting is not recommended !.

Techking, May 24, 2012 IP
  6. fixyourserver

fixyourserver Peon

Best Answers:
    Ask for an IP address from a different C class. This is as close as you can get from distancing these sites from one another. If they can provide this, then have them add a reverse dns entry so that the IP matches the controversial website. Alternatively, you could purchase a very cheap VPS to host that domain and that will work properly. For those cheap VPSs, I would recommend chicago vps. Very cheap and very stable.

fixyourserver, May 24, 2012 IP
  7. ElizabethSwell

ElizabethSwell Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for nice info, your forum is really good I like it very much and need this information .........

ElizabethSwell, May 24, 2012 IP
  8. natostanco

natostanco Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    no dude, there is a more easy solution that gives tons of benefits, cloudflare. Free CDN + security + statistics + Cacher + minifier for your websites. You use their nameservers and add the website to an account. Basically anyone who do a lookup sees the cloudflare ips, and since those ips are used by a lot of websites they are all whitelisted by google, and it can't see the true ip it points out, at least I couldn't, if anyone can confirm that using cloudflare can hide the real ip of a website as I think please confirm!

natostanco, May 24, 2012 IP
  9. damoncloudflare

damoncloudflare Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    "if anyone can confirm that using cloudflare can hide the real ip of a website as I think please confirm!"

We are not an IP protection service per se. While doing a basic lookup (dig, nslookup, pings, traceroutes) will terminate on our IPs, we can't hide all DNS records associated with a domain.

damoncloudflare, May 29, 2012 IP
  10. robaid

robaid Member

Best Answers:
    First of all, I don't think they would allow a controversial website jeopardize the "cleanliness" of other websites on the same Cloudflare IP.

While most of the automated services who list your website and perform whois and reverse DNS lookup would list Cloudflare IP as your server, you can find out the real IP by traceroute.

I don't know who your host is, but many hosts offer you to purchase additional IPs for the same account, since they don't want you to move to another host.

robaid, May 29, 2012 IP
  11. damoncloudflare

damoncloudflare Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    "Cloudflare IP as your server, you can find out the real IP by traceroute."

A traceroute to the root domain or www.domain.com on CloudFlare would terminate at CloudFlare's IPs for sites using us.

damoncloudflare, May 29, 2012 IP
  12. robaid

robaid Member

Best Answers:
    OK, using that method on ports your service doesn't proxy.

Nothing against Cloudflare, I'm very satisfied with your service... aside very rare downtime when even your website goes down, and cookies on every file (double cookie for www and non-www version of served page) :)

robaid, May 29, 2012 IP