1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Website not viewing right on iPad/iPhone

Discussion in 'CSS' started by Laura Anderton, Jul 27, 2013.

I've been told by a client that a site is not viewing correctly on his iPad and iPhone. The text is not staying within the content area and is bleeding out into space that has a black background.

The site is http://www.markcomstrategic.com/

I don't have access to an iPad/iPhone so the best I can do is check in Safari, iPad emulators, etc... and it looks fine in everything. I can't see what the problem would be.

Thanks.

Laura Anderton, Jul 27, 2013 IP
  2. George T.

George T. Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If the website is wordpress based there are some plugins that optimize your website for mobile devices!
    They are very easy to be found.
    I think the same will be for other platforms but i work only on wordpress and i know there :)

George T., Jul 27, 2013 IP
  3. Laura Anderton

Laura Anderton Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    No, it isn't in Wordpress. I'm using jquery and responsive css. It's already made it to be mobile-friendly and works fine in everything else.

Laura Anderton, Jul 27, 2013 IP
  4. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Well... the CONCEPT of the site itself isn't exactly compatible with reliable responsive layout -- also kind of a laugh it's a glorified "splash page" on a site that has the phrase "content is king" on it -- begging the question: "WHAT CONTENT?!?"

Much less what the blue devil does that even NEED the fat bloated steaming pile of garbage known as jQuery FOR?!?

That said, the page is knee deep in "How not to make a website" -- different layouts on every page, serif fonts on screen, static CSS inlined in the markup, static scripting for **** knows what in the markup (much of it looks like stuff that's CSS' job), clearing DIV like it's still 2001, attributes like ALIGN that have no business on any website written after 1998, scripting only elements in the markup, tables for layout around things that don't even seem to be rendering here (those are likely a hefty part of why mobile chokes on it -- my Icoo tablet hates it)... even your contact form is bad -- SPAN doing LABEL's job, endless pointless DIV and classes for nothing, tables for layout -- it's a mix of gibberish, broken methodologies and just plain outdated/outmoded techniques.

It is conceptually flawed, and disastrously executed. My advice would be to pitch that entire mess of "gee ain't it purty" artsy fartsy garbage, and start over with content of value, semantic markup, separation of presentation from content, and layout concepts that are actually made to work with responsive layout.... as you are lacking ALL of that!

deathshadow, Jul 27, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  5. Laura Anderton

Laura Anderton Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well, that's a lot of stuff I already know and can't do anything about, because I'm working with a client who wants it exactly the way it is and a horrible mess of a CMS that some people in India developed with a bunch of code from ten years ago. But it doesn't actually answer my question. I assume the tables you are referring to are some part of this CMS so I guess I will mention that to the guy who developed it. Otherwise any other help is appreciated.

Laura Anderton, Jul 28, 2013 IP